1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

MI confirms first case of CWD in free-ranging white-tailed deer

Discussion in 'East North Central' started by MikeD, May 26, 2015.

1. MikeD

MikeD I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator "Philanthropist"

Not good.

http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/MIDNR/bulletins/1063163

2. OhioArcher

OhioArcher Where's da fishes? Supporter "Philanthropist"

Yeah, CWD is around these parts. Ohio had one confirmed, WV several in a small area. What I think is kinda nuts is the attention CWD gets while Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD, or Blue Tongue) is not mentioned much. CWD seems to affect individual deer (much like the flu with us...some get it, some don't) but EHD wipes out whole herds. Any disease of this type is not good and wastes valuable resources. As herd population increase in certain areas these things pop up...maybe Mother Nature's way of dealing with overpopulation.
  3. John A.

John A. Unconstitutional laws are not laws. Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator

I saw a young elk a few years ago with that. It was pitiful.

It would only walk about 15 feet each direction. Poor thing was like it was in an invisible cage.

A few miners had been dumping slop out for it because it was unable to find food on it's own. Game wardens finally came up there after a few days and put it down.
  4. OhioArcher

OhioArcher Where's da fishes? Supporter "Philanthropist"

The best thing to do is call the GWs, John. Or just put it down yourself. Elk are hard to hide but I would rather video it then put it down than let it suffer further.
  5. MikeD

Second deer found.

http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/MIDNR/bulletins/10fd638#

6. John A.

John A. Unconstitutional laws are not laws. Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator

Said it was found within a mile of the first (only other known) CWD deer.

I am going to hope that it is very localized, and thus resolves itself quickly.
  7. MikeD

It will because the DNR will make sure that there is not a deer within miles of ground zero before they are done.
  8. John A.

While that may sound extreme, with as contagious as it can be, may be warranted.