• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Midway USA issues

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I haven't said much negative about them for the entire 15 years or so that I have been doing business with them and just to be honest, I have spent many several thousands of dollars with them in that timeframe.

But lately, it seems that every time I turn around, they're doing something that crawls under my skin.

First, they started charging a "surcharge" of $4 if you placed a small order under $40. This nickel and diming has ate me up over the years. Especially when I had my gun store and just needed a small item or two for a customer.

Then, they discontinued dealer trade accounts and discounts altogether, but for a long time before that, they were not discounting items beyond their list price anyway, despite having dealer account or not.

I have also griped about their purchase limits on ammo, parts, and reloading supplies and if you can only buy a single 50 count box of 22LR and then turn around and have to pay $25 in Orm-D hazardous materials shipping charges, more power to anyone that has more dollars than sense.

And today, my small parts order was scheduled to arrive and didn't. I ordered it on 2/12 so it's had time to arrive anyway, but when I called them to see if they could check on it, they checked the tracking and I told her that the tracking info hasn't changed since 2/13, she tells me that it's scheduled to be delivered 2/28.

Granted that I used the cheapest shipping option possible because I only ordered an ar15 disconnector and 3 packs of magpul followers that would've fit in a standard envelope and probably weighed a whole 6 ounces, so realistically, I didn't want to spend $18 for standard shipping.

I was kinda blown away by her response and I asked her if she really said the 28th and she said yes, and I told her that was my last order with them.

Shucks, I could probably walk to their HQ and pick it up myself in that amount of time.

I'm really not trying to be overly picky with them, but C'mon. I don't expect customer service to suck up to me, but I at least want to be treated like I am valued as a customer. My time is just as important to me as theirs is to them.

I ordered a disconnector from del-ton today. Paid all of $8 for it WITH shipping included that will be sent priority 1st class, which will only take 2 days to arrive once the mailman picks it up.

When the midway package finally does get here, I think I'm just going to refuse it, let the post office send it back and then call and tell them I want my money back for this order and let them deal with it.

I know you deal with them a lot more than I do, but I can say I have never had any problem with Midwayusa.

You know, it almost pained me to have to write that because I have had numerous positive transactions with them, but as I said, seems like they're continually losing sight of the customer. In this day and age, they need to be real careful of that because repeat customers are ultimately what keeps their doors open and their lights on.

John, I can see where those things would add up for you. I have only had two encounters with them than wasn't to good. Right before Christmas I put in an order with them for 1500 rounds of .22 ammo that was listed as coming in late January. In mid January I checked the site and the ammo was now listed as arriving in June. By February it was listed as not available and no back orders. I understand that .22 ammo is very hit or miss but to this day I have never heard from them that is was pushed back and then cancelled. I even emailed then asking about it.

The second was getting their email flyer and I saw some reloading supplies that were on sale that I wanted. I clicked on the link and it went to the web page where every item I wanted was listed as sold out, no backorders. Don't they check the sale items are actually available?

The surcharge for small orders tells me they don't want those orders. I can't believe a lot of people will put up with that. I hope they didn't get to big for their britches.

My wife, without knowing any better, just got me $150 worth of Midway gift certificates..................

I have not personally had any issues with delays from them but I have noticed as well the increase in shipping for some orders. Many companies are now going to the flat rate shipping fees which benefits some but causes others to overpay. I tend to order from them when I can group several items to get a better shipping rate.

My biggest shipping complaint lately is whith companies that choose to ship orders using "UPS Innovations". This is where UPS gets the shipment to your city, then hands it over to USPS for final delivery. It saves UPS money by not having to send a truck to your neighborhood since USPS is going there anyway and helps USPS by adding additional revenue. I get that USPS is having some financial issues and that this helps both companies, but this new system really sucks.

Problem is that UPS would only have to sort my package once at the local hub before delivery to my address. It's an overnight sort and next day delivery to my doorstep. Now that USPS is involved the package first gets transfered from the local UPS hub to the central USPS sorting facility downtown, next to a secondary USPS sorting facility in the next town over, then finally to the small local post office in my town for delivery. The entire process adds three to five days to the delivery time just so USPS can get their hands on the package and claim a piece of the delivery charge. It took three weeks in transit for a Spike's order shipped UPS Innovations to reach me a few months back. That's from Florida to Tennessee! Freakin ridiculous. This seems to be the new "free shipping" default for small packages with most retailers these days, so I've been paying for alternative shipping options lately...

I agree the surcharge thing and the ridicules shipping are deal breakers for me, I have a C&R and used to be able to get the dealer pricing - then they stopped that and I was ok with it. It seemed like at some point everything I wanted was not discounted but I still had to meet the minimum threshold to not pay an even larger surcharge. But when you fid something that is a good price like a magazine or other small part you get killed on shipping - Unless I am going to place a big order, I usually go to Natchez or even Brownells. Prices are good and shipping is reasonable.

I still have a dealer account with Brownells and continue to use them. They just didn't have a disconnector the other day when I ordered it from midway.

And they dont' have minimum order surcharges either.

As for the "innovations" shipping, is even more stupid in my situation.

UPS has to pass my house and drive about another mile and a half to reach the post office, then it takes at least another day for usps to bring it to me.

Most times anymore if I'm in a rush to get it, I just call the PO and ask if my package is there and can usually tell by the tracking when it is, then I stop at the PO and pick it up on the way from the store or something.

But it actually costs UPS more money to drop it off at the PO than if he threw it out the window on his way past my house.

But whatever. [rolleyes]

John, I've recently had a similar experience with the and never again will I do any business with them. Sadly, I see this more as a trend then the exception... They know they have us over a barrel and are willing to stick it to us for as long as they can.

I just checked the tracking and tell me if this isn't just screwed up.

Package received for processing by UPS Mail Innovations

Package processed by UPS Mail Innovations origin facility Kansas City, MO, United States 02/12/2014 12:00 A.M.

Package transferred to destination UPS Mail Innovations facility 02/13/2014 1:44 A.M.

Package received for sort by destination UPS Mail Innovations facility Kansas City, MO, United States 02/13/2014 4:19 A.M.

Postage Paid/Ready for destination post office entry 02/17/2014 7:21 A.M.

Electronic Shipment Information Received for Package by Post Office Atlanta, GA, United States 02/17/2014 8:58 A.M.

Shipment Acceptance at Post Office GREENSBORO, NC, United States 02/17/2014 9:02 A.M.

Package transferred to local post office ATLANTA, GA, United States 02/17/2014 2:27 P.M.

Package processed by Post Office ATLANTA, GA, United States 02/18/2014 12:35 A.M.

Package processed by Post Office MEMPHIS, TN, United States 02/18/2014 1:15 P.M.

Package processed by Post Office ATLANTA, GA, United States 02/19/2014 2:39 P.M.

Shipment Acceptance at post office ATLANTA, GA, United States 02/19/2014 4:49 P.M.

I don't think the Olympic torch got passed off as many times

Chalk another one up to UPS Innovations.

Let's see, take a successful world-wide delivery and logistics company and pass off domestic residential shipment processing to a failing, near bankrupt company limping along on a dated business model. Makes sense to me...

Back