• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

MikeD's crossbow

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Parts are starting to come in.

I orderred a 4x32 scope after I orderred the bow and it has arrived first. I didn't really liker the idea of hunting with the red dot that comes on the bow so I picked this up.

20121003_123248_zpsd4bea643.jpg

you get to hunt with a crossbow? I'm jealous....over here, only the handicapped are allowed to hunt with em.
:(

Mi changed the law and started allowing full inclusion a few years ago.

Honestly at one time I was against it but after trying a friends bow and researching a bit I began to see their place

Sent from my G19 using Tapatalk 2

I would get one, but I'm broke once again... At any rate, congrats and happy hunting! Any method of bring backstraps home is a good n'!

I have a big box sitting on my desk!!! :D :D :D

It has arrived!!!!!

The box was pretty beat up but everything, although loose in the box, seems to be in good order.

I got it put together and managed to fire 3 shots out of it. The thing is a beast (at least it seems to be based from my limited experience). It was hard for me to pull it back even with the cocking rope and pulley thingy.

It blew through my layered block target like nothing, even after I sandwiched it between couple 2x8's and threaded rods to compress the layers. I tested it in the basement; I saw a couple police cars on the street tonight so didn't want to attract any unneeded attention by shooting it outside. Upon passing through the target the arrow penetrated a stack of 5 gallon buckets sitting behind it. Ooops!!

It was only 2 bolts to put the whole thing together, that was easy!

At 8 yards the first tick on the scope is only about 3" high and about an inch to the right.

My buddy has a good target to get her sighted in on tomorrow so I can put off buying a new one for a while.

Some pics will be up shortly.

I apologize for the bad pics, I'll try to get better ones in the sunlight tomorrow.

20121003_134910_zps49be8b3b.jpg

20121004_185725_zps6b70544a.jpg

20121004_210154_zps3aaa39f2.jpg

20121004_205941_zpsa068f98c.jpg

20121004_205953_zpsb0875253.jpg

20121004_210027_zpsebe06539.jpg

20121004_210057_zpsf1ff1954.jpg

20121004_210039_zps04542e62.jpg

This thing is damn accurate out to 30 yards. I only say thirty because I didn't shoot it any furthur. The weather today was not conducive to shooting any more than necessary to get it sighted in for some evening hunting.

I saw four deer but none were in bow range. My buddy saw 11 turkeys. Looks like I need a turkey tag. Odd we rarely ever see turkeys there in the fall, but I'm not going to complain.

I like the crossbow, I like that I can shoot it left or right handed and I like optical sight.

But....

The thing is heavy and awkward to carry. I cannot find an easy, comfortible way to carry it

What it gains in not having to draw back in front of game it definitely loses in terms of being big bulky and heavy.

It's fun though I like trying to learn the ins and outs of new equipment.

I have a std gun sling for it that works find if the xbow is unloaded, but do not want to carry it cocked and loaded that way. I load it up as we leave the spot where we park as we may see deer on the way in to our blinds.

I did see this while doing a little searching yeasterday, It looked interesting:

http://www.stringsling.com/crossbow sling.htm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_gtekYuwDI[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_gtekYuwDI

Here are a few of pics I snapped during a couple of the times when it wasn't raining this weekend.

Crossbow_001_zps2ee98941.jpg

Crossbow_002_zps6c079fb5.jpg

Crossbow_003_zpsc98d960d.jpg

Crossbow_004_zps6a1a89db.jpg

Crossbow_005_zpsc4832693.jpg

Crossbow_006_zpsa827783c.jpg

Crossbow_007_zps49975803.jpg

Crossbow_008_zpsd5e176f5.jpg

Crossbow_009_zps90fbfeaf.jpg

ripjack13 said:
you get to hunt with a crossbow? I'm jealous....over here, only the handicapped are allowed to hunt with em.
:(
Ya it sucks here.
It is probably time to get the law changed.

I have shot crossbows a few times and they are FUN!

I got a chance to shoot some longer distences over the weekend. At 40 yards it's spot on with the marks on the scope. Beyond 40yards it drops considerably, twice as much as between 30 and 40.

I don't see the likely hood of using it for hunting beyond 30, as noisy as it is the odds are too great of the deer hearing it and moving. But it is nice to know that it is accurate at longer distences. Even at 50 there was no drift travel, it just hit very low.

ripjack13 said:
I need to get one...just so I have one. ;)
ME TOO!
I will work on our state legislature this next session and see what I can get changed!

Back