• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

MikeD's crossbow

LTB45 said:
ripjack13 said:
I need to get one...just so I have one. ;)
ME TOO!
I will work on our state legislature this next session and see what I can get changed!

Good luck!! It's a tough battle.

Those that oppose it will try to make it out to be the ultimate hunting machine that will destroy the deer population and the heritage of bowhunting in your state.

While there are some undeniable benefits to hunting with a crossbow, many that oppose them seem to gloss over or ignore all of the negatives, which there are a few.

I was one of those that opposed them initially. But after actually using a friends crossbow and doing more research I come around. Being a traditional archer as well, I do understand the arguments and concerns against them, I just don't see where many of the claims have come to fruition in the states that have allowed it.

I did notice in the DNR's hunting guide that I cannot use it in the UP (MI's Upper Peninsula) during the late archery/muzzleloading season. The reason being that they feel it it would be too easy to shoot the deer up there due to how they yard up to survive the harsh winters. Personally I can shoot furthur with my compound (when my shoulder is not bothering me) and am more deadly with my muzzleloader than I am a crossbow........but what do I know? :lol:

Ohio allows CB's all archery season long. There has been no herd massacre or kill off as a result of that change. In fact, I've only seen 1 or 2 in the field in the last few years. They are heavy and noisy. I'm sure in the hands of a more experienced shooter they can reach out further than a compound but not with the folks I've seen on the target range.

It takes some skill to correctly draw and lock the cable back. If it is not centered, it will not shoot straight. Back in the '80s a friend had a Barnett CB that was self-cocking...it broke in half like an airgun. It was very inaccurate. I made the mistake of leaving the tip of my thumb above the rail when I fired it once. You will only make that mistake once in your life. I don't recall what I said but I danced around for a while. Luckily, I didn't lose the nail.

Personally, I see no reason for them not to be included in the archery seasons. They are not a firearm and shoot arrow-like projectiles. I've had several "discussions" with opponents and they always end the same way...I'm for them, the others against them....oh, well...

I just orderred the crank cocking device for my crossbow. I'm hoping this will allow me to keep shooting it while my back is screwed up.

I'll post some pics when I get it.

Dude, That's awesome! My Mother-in-law has that exact same one (I believe) and it's fun as hell to shoot! She got a Turkey with it this year :p

Itsricmo said:
Dude, That's awesome! My Mother-in-law has that exact same one (I believe) and it's fun as hell to shoot! She got a Turkey with it this year :p

That's awesome, tell her congrats from me. Do you have any pics? I honestly know very few women that hunt.

I was going to switch between my crossbow and the 835 this year but the crossbow never made it to it's first rotation.

Sorry man, I missed this post! I do not have any pictures but she hunts and does pretty freaking well! She took a 6pt last year during rifle and missed (what I think) the same deer in the previous archery season with this crossbow.

I want to load in a blank and launch arrows from my mossy... does that count as Archery or Rifle?? ;) hahah just kidding, that would be stupid :mrgreen:

Itsricmo said:
Sorry man, I missed this post! I do not have any pictures but she hunts and does pretty freaking well! She took a 6pt last year during rifle and missed (what I think) the same deer in the previous archery season with this crossbow.

I want to load in a blank and launch arrows from my mossy... does that count as Archery or Rifle?? ;) hahah just kidding, that would be stupid :mrgreen:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD3FqhflaZU[/youtube]

:D :D

I got the crossbow crank on Friday but had some family medical issues over the weekend so I didn't really get a chance to do anything. I'll work on gettin getting it put together (with pics) this week.

lol yeah something like that!! But I would probably put a plunger on the bottom of the arrow that fits into the hull of the shotgun so that it is an initial blast off and not a collision inside the barrel haha

I'd like to see more pictures! Pics are always good!

we get to use crossbows in Indiana too. My first one was a Horton Vision 175. It was a nice crossbow, but was just a little bit loud when fired, and a little on the heavy side too. It shot great,and was nice and compact. My new crossbow is a Mathews Mission MXB 360. This crossbow is light, very fast and quiet. I killed a 9-point buck with it last season. the only issue was the price. it was twice the price of the Horton. but if you want faster, lighter and not as loud, you pay for these options. The Mathews Crossbow also requires bolts that have alum. nocks too. its needed to handle the energy this crossbow produces. I guess the way I justify the price is being able to use it from Oct. 1st. to mid Jan. for deer hunting in Indiana. You gotta love the sound when your arrow hits that buck! WHACK!!! and the blood trail too.

Back