• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Military money

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
just wanted to post a few scans to see if I could get some historical background about them if anyone could share.

The first two being a 10 and 25 cent military payment, which are about 2 inches tall and 4 inches wide. Both are undated.

I'm not posting the front due to them being serialized and I am not wanting some idiot to try to swamp the market with copies of mine, so I'm only going to post the scan of the back.

6sKQ5no.jpg

The other military service certificate is dated 1862, and is for a rather large sum of money at the time ($5.00).

But it isn't a federal payment. It's a Treasury Warrant of the State of Texas dated Oct. 1862 for military service. I am assuming since Texas joined the CSA earlier that year, it had to do with the Civil War.

PMfh2iR.jpg

John, I had a bunch of MPC in 'nam in '66-67. The front looked like this:
series-641-25-cents-military-payment-certificate.jpg

Is that what you have, Series 641?

Thanx, John. The 641s were redeemed in late '68 and the 661s were the series that followed.

That's a piece of history I would like to explore...thanks gentlemen.

My dad gave me some military scrip from Vietnam inside an elephant hide wallet. I don't have the foggiest idea what happened to that as it was over 50 years ago.

I do still have a 50 Piastre note somewhere. I imagine after the fall of Saigon most of that money got burnt for fuel.

Back