• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Military Surplus Rifles

As far as the Mosins go I can usually find your basic 91/30s locally, but for the hex receivers, the M44, or my current must have M38 they're likely have to be found on-line. Aim Surplus is my go-to when I'm keeping an eye out. Gunbroker can be a good resource as well, but you have to be careful because folks' asking prices tend to be pretty high. Evert once in a while you can get lucky though.

Is there a particular model you're looking for?

TOYZ-1.jpg

I've posted this one before, but still shows part of the collection of surplus toys ;)

Garand on the far left, followed by a collection of AK's, SKS's, a couple different CETME's, SVD, Mauser K98, couple Colts, and a Mosin 44 on the end ;)

I know I've seen that pic before, but it still puts a smile on my face every time I look at it!

mister_e said:
TOYZ-1.jpg

I've posted this one before, but still shows part of the collection of surplus toys ;)

Garand on the far left, followed by a collection of AK's, SKS's, a couple different CETME's, SVD, Mauser K98, couple Colts, and a Mosin 44 on the end ;)
:ugeek: :ugeek: That is quite the collection you have there!

Here's a rifle my Grandad brought back from Japan after WWII...

Arisaka Type 99, 7.7x58 mm

Like most other Arisaka models from the era, the Japanese imperial seal, a chrysanthemum blossum, has been crudely removed from the receiver. These rifles were considered property of the empire and if a Japanese soldier thought he was in danger of being captured, he would destroy the seal before his rifle fell into enemy hands. The most common method of removal was by hacking at the seal with their bayonet...

Thats awesome! What would have been the issue bolt gun in WWII? Springfield 1903?

Yes Sir,

The 1903 served the U.S. military continuously all the way through to Vietnam (in a limited capacity).

My grandad brought his back after serving in the Pacific. He was with an engineers batalion in the US Army. After VJ Day, he helped to rebuild infrastructure in Okinawa. When they were given their rations he would sell the stuff he wouldnt use like cigaretes, and donated the money to the nuns at the church.

Anyway, the gun sat in the attic for a long long time, nearly till 1990, I imagine it was right around 1987. I wasnt old enough to thoroughly appreciate it then, but I looked at it often and learned how to at least pull the bolt. That little bit stayed with me with me all these years.

One of my uncles, whom I strongly dislike for alot of reasons (I dislike the other one too), took the gun to a week long annual flea market in Friendship Indiana and traded it for who knows what but probably drug money.

He took my grandads uniform too.

Your grandad must have been a great man. You hate to hear about stuff like that happening to heirlooms and I know it must have made you sick.

Ugh, yeah it did (does still).

My grandad... Good man. Had his issues, but devoted to family and work. Hard hard hard work ethic, among the most driven men you would ever meet.

I know that left an impression on you and helped you become the man you are today. I work hard everyday to make my family proud and to represent our name with pride and integrity...

Back