• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Minor Screw Up Today

nasa

.270 WIN
I decided I wanted to get my slug gun scope sighted today so I popped the Knoxx off of the 835 and put it on the 88. Less than 5 minutes and I was out back to the range. I had the factory synthetic on the 88 before I swapped stocks. Guess what I didn't do. Allow for the distance of the recoil on the Knoxx and got a wee bet of a cut on my nose. Always heard tales about that but it was a first for me. I don't know the name of the club but I'm now an official member.

Got my groupings at 50 yards within 3 inches and for an old man with the shakes, and an 18-1/2 inch cylinder bore barrel. not too bad.

I shot a 2011 Allied Electronics catalog and it ripped right through from 50 yards. This was using Winchester 2-3/4 rifled hp slugs. The plastic wadding went through the catalog right along with the slug.

I thinking the spread using some Winchester Universal loads 7-1/2 shot was 14 inches or less at about 40 yards. One of my buds left me with a box of 25 for the use of my range the other day. They are all gone now.

I did bang my left hand a couple of times on the bi-pod before I took it off. Don't have that problem with the 835 because the tri-rail on it is mounted forward of where the magazine cap would be if I hadn't put the +5 extension on it. Problem again was the distance the gun traveled in relation to the butt pad with the recoil reducing stock. Something to be remembered here at the Kat Ranch.

There is a lot of difference in the spread of the 18-1/2 in barrel vs. the 28 inch over-bored barrel on the 835.

My wife shot one slug from a sitting position and lost her balance. She immediately looked at her shoulder but not even a red spot. She said she was not hurt but didn't think she would be shooting either of the 12 gauges. She's going to stick with the .410 for now. I smart enough to have her put in a set of Mack's Ear Seals before I let her shoot. She wasn't out there except to see me shoot the catalog and fire her one shot.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to all the folks that participate here at MossbergOwners.com.

Now that I know you're OK I'm going to point and laugh. ;-D

Switching stocks like that I'm not sure I would have thought about that either. Sounds like you have a nice deer gun set up there.

Back