1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to view and order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Misc. Swedish Military stuff

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement And Military' started by fellmann, Nov 3, 2019.

1. fellmann

fellmann Esoteric Supporter Premier Member

Just watched a video about a new addition to our IFV - Combat Vehicle 90 ( CV90 ) family, a double 120mm mortar turret version, and ran into another video, about our armed forces. That video got me in turn remembering that in the beginning of the 50s we had the worlds fourth biggest airforce :) aprox a 1000 planes. I think i remember that in a case of war, during the cold war, many of us would be conscripted and we would have an army of 700 000 of a population of 8 million. We still have many many underground facilities out there, but abandoned, reminding us of the cold war. Scary times... Today we have a smaller but way more high-tech/advanced army.

Swedish Armed Forces

30082018-276A5925.jpg

grkpbv-90-self-propelled-mortars-2.jpg

Archer Artillery System
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  2. nitesite

nitesite Sheepdog Moderator "Philanthropist"

During a conflict I would serve alongside a Swede with pride.
    meanstreak, Djcala and fellmann like this.
  3. Djcala

Djcala .30-06 Supporter

I second that :oldman:salute !!
    meanstreak, nitesite and fellmann like this.
  4. fellmann

Just saw a post about your ( US ) Veterans Day. We have one also :)

Veterans Day (Swedish: Veterandagen) is observed annually in Sweden on May 29 at the Maritime Museum in Stockholm in honor of people who are or have been serving with the Swedish Armed Forces in international military operations, as well as commemorating those who died during their service.

Bigger Swedish involvement
    1939 - 1944 Finland, WW2: 9 640 Swedes served. ( Swedish Volunteer Corps ) vs Russia. Front lines in the northern Salla area.
    1960 - 1964 Congo Crisis: UN, 6 334 Swedes served. Involved in fierce battles over Katanga's capital Elizabethville.
    1973 - 1979 Sinai, Egypt: UN, 6 300 Swedes served.

1024px-Veterandagen_2015_(355_av_416).jpg

Swedish Volunteer in Finland

G7IC4znqAaGCdh1qXXziSOgaEPU37RZtS4P2CAquXHk.jpg

Swedes in Congo. Note the "Swedish K's"

kongo-fn-svenska-soldater-faltskada.jpg

Many Veterans are "marked" by this conflict

Sinai

8__En_dag_vid_dagpositionen_804_i_buffertzonen_-_f.jpg
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  5. meanstreak

meanstreak .30-06 Supporter

Service to ones country, be it Military, LEO, or other front line personnel is honorable.
    John A., nitesite and fellmann like this.
  6. fellmann

Today it is 319 years since the great victory "Battle of Narva" in 1700.
    Under the personal leadership of the mere 18-year-old King Karl XII, Sweden defeated the Russian army by 30,000 men with 10,500 men. 667 Swedish soldiers died while about 12,000 Russians were killed.
    The Swedish battle cry was: "With God's help"

More about the Battle of Narva: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Narva_(1700)

Narva2.jpg
    John A. and Djcala like this.
  7. Djcala

Djcala .30-06 Supporter

Went and read the story of battle, fantastic morning historical reading. Thanks for the sharing.
    fellmann likes this.
  8. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I hadn't heard of that either. Very interesting. Thank you for sharing that.

This is one of the reasons why I like the internet. It's kind of like years ago when you had pen pals in a different country. It just doesn't take months to read their reply letter.
    fellmann likes this.
  9. fellmann

oh.. just found a cool vid

The Swedish Caroleans
    The soldiers of the Swedish Imperial Army known as Karoliner, or Caroleans, a strictly disciplined and aggressive fighting force whose notable tactics echoed throughout Europe during the Great Northern War between 1700 and 1721