• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Missing America

Ernst

.30-06
"Philanthropist"
Do you ever yearn for simpler times when people were happier?

Do you miss -

Riding in the pick up bed
Listening to AM radio
30/30 handing on the pickup gun rack
Drinking from a water hose or from the creek
Swimming in a pond
Dr. Pepper at 10/2/4
Listening to baseball on the radio
Home made ice cream from a hand cranked freezer
Butter churn
Drinking unpasteurized whole milk
Cars and trucks you could actually work on
Full service gas stations that checked the oil and washed your windshield and headlights
RC Cola and a Moon Pie on a hot afternoon
Rotary dial phones
No automatic transmissions in vehicles
Headlight dimmer switches on the floor
God's music of the 60s
Morning and evening newspapers
Penny candy from the corner store
Going to church three times a week - twice on Sunday and Wednesday night
No computers and people actually knew how to write letters
Screen doors and ceiling fans
No internet or smart phones

What do you miss?

Yeah, pretty much everything on that list.

I don't miss churning butter. Grandma didn't have a churn, per say.

She had a big pickle jar that we'd all take turns shaking until it felt like our arms were going to fall off and we'd pass it on to the next person. Until it came back around the room and it was your turn again.

I do remember well how much better milk tasted fresh from the cow. We never got sick from it. Nor did the cow have all these medicines and hormones and crap in it either.

We didn't have ceiling fans. But we had window fans. I even remember sometimes a bug or butterfly would be flying through and get sucked into the fan and chopped into smithereens.

Don't forget the coal or wood stove. It would often burn out around 1 or 2AM. Then you were always grateful that you had so many homemade quilts on top of you that it felt like they weighed you down underneath of them. You didn't throw out old clothes. You'd hand them down to the next one until they were so worn out that only then would they be made into quilts that I'm talking about.

Waking up to the wash bin on the counter frozen. (dind't have running water, showerbath, or even indoor toilet). But we did have a dual seater outhouse. Not sure why, but there was always two toilet seats on it.

Eating at the TABLE. And actually TALKING to each other.

Picking sweet peas with my grandma,popping them out of the pod with my thumb and eating more raw than made it into the real cream peas. Helping my dad pump the Enco extra into the Belair wagon because of that sweet smelling lead..lol ( explains a lot we won’t get into). Cruising the loop on Friday nights. Camping out in a metal shed in a rain storm. A Hodaka Super Rat. A Harrington Richardson break open 9 shot .22 revolver. Catching sand sharks with a stupid drop line.lol Sun tanning, slathered in baby oil mixed with iodine. Original Butterfingers not the crappy new and improved flavor.

Last edited:
Stacks of National Geographic Magazines that no one could bear to throw into the trash.
images

Webley Air Pistols.
images

This was the one my dad brought home from a trip to England. It was my first non-toy gun in 1954.

We loved to play Jarts. I remember once nearly impaling the neighbor’s dog.

Actually the Jarts belonged to the neighbors as well.

The best form of the game of Jarts was played only on the farm.
The Jarts were launched OVERHAND at a target painted on a 4x8 plywood resting on the side of a tractor shed.

We used to throw axes and knives and ninja stars at plywood too

:oldman:

Back