• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mixed Emotions On My New SPX Blackwater

Howdy Y'all -

Been lurking here awhile, so I figured it's time to join up. Retired geezer here from GA who enjoys shooting, have an old Model 500 pump for almost 30 years that has been nearly flawless, was interested in trying a semi-auto. So I just purchased an SPX Blackwater last week and have had it out twice so far. Plan on using it for HD and some casual skeet at my local club. After an initial scrubbing and lube, I put 130 rounds of Winchester slugs through it without a hiccup. Was getting really excited about this gun!

Then today I mixed it up with some more slugs, then some Winchester Super X Gameloads and a box of Super X Upland Gameloads with the silver colored tails (what a mistake!). My new gun ran right through the #8 Gameloads but wouldn't cycle a single #8 Upland G. Hoping it's just the ammo and the tightness of a new unit. But I would eventually like to shoot target loads without any problems.

On the positive side - I couldn't believe how accurate it was with the slugs at 50 yds the first time out.....managed to easily do 3" groups. Those ghost ring sights rock - didn't even need to be adjusted from the factory settings. Fairly lightweight & easy to swing, recoil is very manageable with the game loads.

Dislikes so far - disassembly, cleaning, reassembly seems more labor intensive than for my AR-15. Been having a difficult time seating my barrel. Today a small ring popped loose from the top of the barrel gas port and am having a difficult time with it :? - see this thread -

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10228

I'm hoping that one is not required to be a gunsmith to properly maintain this gun (a smith I'm not!), and that it's not so finicky with the lighter loads once it's fully broken in. Was very discouraged to read about the numerous SPX reliability problems, especially early on and Mossberg's delayed responses.

I guess it's too early to tell if this weapon will eventually be reliable enough for HD AND killing some clays, but only time will tell.........really want it to be a keeper for such an affordable semi-auto :)

OC

Update -
Well, I was able to reinstall the internal gasport seal ring with no problem, and my gun was good to go after that. Thanks to some valuable info I picked up on the forum. After loosening it up with 150-200 slugs for break in, I decided it was time to test it with the lighter loads. Yesterday I ran over 100 rounds of the lighter loads, all #6, 7 1/2, and 8 birdshot without a single FTL FTE or misfire :D . She ate up everything I fed her without a hiccup.

Have been doing some reading on maintenance and trouble shooting here, so I made sure I cleaned and lubed the hell out of everything as advised, especially the internals of the gas piston, which I neglected after my first two slug shooting sessions. If everything goes well my next time out, I think I'll switch to Frog Lube, since I've had great luck with it all my other firearms.

Really getting to like this gun more and more each time I take her out to make some noise, and even with the short 18 1/2" barrel, it's fun to shoot skeet with her. I can see an extra barrel or choke tube down the road...... :)

Glad you found the info you needed here and got her fixed. :)

Thanks, guys! It would have taken me a much longer time to figure out how to effectively break in and maintain my new Blackwater on my own, but this site has been great for finding useful info on our Mossies.

I'm very familiar with semi-auto pistols, bolt & lever action hunting rifles, AR's and pump action shotties, but this is my first experience with a gas piston driven semi-auto. :mrgreen:

ocinsomniac, I agree with you just joined here and the folks and info top notch my 930 has not been fired yet and I've done everything learned here and can't wait to fire it but I have to heal or I won't heal. so on that note I keep buying ammo and bowling pins till I get well. I believe in Mossberg and if it takes a little maintenece so be it . you familiarize with your weapon, learn it's operations and quirks etc. they may have IMO minimal bugs but moss is making it right. you gotta have faith. anything that's a hot item in this day and age (the 930's) for example are going to have growing pains because everybody wants one now. that is good. I was really sold on Mossberg after the army bought the 590,yes it's a pump and I believe the 930's are going to be as reliable as the pumps in the future. HD you bet if I can't hit em in 8 shots i'll throw it at em. issues with the 930 summed up this way "When we do right no one remembers, When we do wrong no one forgets!" I'm breaking mine in and playing with it till I can't anymore. whew! sorry for the soapbox.

Glad to hear it's "broken in" and works with lighter loads. Too bad it took forty boxes of slugs; that's a pretty hefty price tag.

Sounds like a shotgun that shoots to 3" at fifty is pretty much GTG.

oldman02z said:
ocinsomniac, I agree with you just joined here and the folks and info top notch my 930 has not been fired yet and I've done everything learned here and can't wait to fire it but I have to heal or I won't heal. so on that note I keep buying ammo and bowling pins till I get well. I believe in Mossberg and if it takes a little maintenece so be it . you familiarize with your weapon, learn it's operations and quirks etc. they may have IMO minimal bugs but moss is making it right.

Oldman - (Hey we have something in common besides our Mossies :twisted: ) You hang in there until you're able to shoot, 'cause when you do you're gonna love it, just like a little kid waking up on Christmas morning.

Keep taking it apart, putting it back together, racking the bolt and loading & unloading to loosen things up and I'm sure you'll have a winner. I still enjoy fondling mine when I get the chance, even though it's very close to be broken in......... ;)

Back