• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mobile Solar Power

3skulls

.270 WIN
Some talks came up over in the BioLite Stove review thread about Solar Power.
I, like many others, are interested in harvesting the power of the sun.

Looking for Solar Power that's mobile. Applications used for Camping, Backpacking, Bug out Gear or at home Power Outages.

What are you using? What's good? What's junk?

This is what I'm personally looking for in a solar set up.

Something I can hang off my gear while hiking or riding.
I would like it to store power and just not charge.
USB out to change phones, GPS ect.

Here are a couple I'm looking at now.

Goal Zero
http://www.goalzero.com/mobile/p/11/nomad-7-solar-panel

To power the Guide 10 Battery pack
http://www.goalzero.com/mobile/p/133/guide-10-plus-recharger

Anker 14w Solar Panel
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E3OL5U8

This is all pretty new to me so I would love to hear some opinions.

Thanks.

Edit.

I'm also finding good reviews on eneloop rechargeable batteries.
They have a 1500 and an 1800, the number corresponds with how many charges they will take. A Sanyo company.

Last edited:
I like the idea of the goal zero stuff keep us posted! I'd like to try a guide 10 hooked to a couple 12v gell cell backup batteries I already have a 800 watt inverter see if I can at least use my blender!

I have been reading reviews, watching videos. Seems like Goal Zero is always up there.

I still have awhile because I'm broke after my last spending spree.

Now when it comes to hooking up larger batteries and the like, I'm really lost. I'm not very handy when it gets into all of that.

Solar panels Don't store power at all. They are nothing more than battery chargers, in which the batteries are what stores the power.

Also, you'll need a charge controller to hook inline so at night the batteries drain back into the solar panels, thus damaging them. Think of the charge controller as the same principle as a 1 way water valve.

Obviously, with batteries, you can only run DC powered devices in the voltage that you have them set up as.

Some are 6 volt, some 12, and up to 24 volts, though 12 volt is the most common because it has the most market accessories.

If you run anything that takes AC voltage (basically anything that plugs into your wall) you'll need an appropriately sized invertor to convert it from DC to AC.

Most will only work up to 120 volts which is most household items, so heat pumps and water heaters and kitchen stoves and dryers and such that run off of 220v and such are usually a big NO-GO unless you're wanting to get into the big bucks.

edit to add:
A small 40 or 60 watt panel is not going to be very effective in keeping your deep cycle batteries charged when you're running a lot of items (as in power failure).

They'll do alright for maybe a few fluorescent lights (which use less power than incandescents) and maybe a small TV, but that's about all you're going to get out of a panel that small. Especially if you're on the move and have to carry a big battery bank around, and invertor, panels, charge controller, wire, etc. would probably be a pretty big burden for such a small benefit.

Back