• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Modding the Scorpion Evo sights

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
OK, I'm going to admit it. The stock sights really work with the gun. Especially with a red dot that 100% cowitnesses. The height over bore is great as is.

I installed a set of AR flip sights on the gun and really disliked it. Cheekweld wasn't comfortable and my times running the gongs slowed down a lot too.

But, there are hardly no options available for alternatives to the front sights for the scorpion.

So, I'm tweaking it a little so the front sight will accept AR15 front posts.

This will allow fiber optic front sights, tritium front sights, as well as most any other AR15 sight.

The through hole on the factory evo front sights is just a fraction of a mm smaller than AR front posts. So, by using a #29 drill bit through the hole and then an 8-36 tpi tap, is all it needs to accept AR front posts.

The AR post bolt will be a little too long and will need some of the length taken off the bottom, but not much. This can be done with a hacksaw, dremel, grinder or whatever you have at your disposal. Only reason it'll need trimmed at all is because the scorpion doesn't have as much depth below the front sight as the AR front post.

To start with, I am going to swap my post out for one of the KNS "crosshair" front sights because I think the "circle in circle" diopter style sight will work well on the 9mm, especially with the round rear peep.

Like this:
0014327_kns-ak47-duplex-crosshair-front-sight-post.png

sightcross.jpeg

And if I'm disappointed with it, or if the crosshair style slows me down too much by being "too crowded", I'll put a meprolight tritium front sight on it.

But nevertheless, by slightly enlarging the hole and rethreading it, will give me a lot more options for the future.

I really like that & if I could see anything with iron sights I might do that on my own...

I'm afraid for me it's glass on everything.

The scorpion has a short sight radius, and I usually don't shoot it at very long distances (typically within 50 yards) so that's why I wanted to try the KNS sight. If it doesn't work on it, I'm sure I'll find something else to put it on.

I considered using one of the blitzkrieg chevron front sights, but didn't know if I could get it fully adjusted for elevation due to them being as tall as they are. I put one on one of my AR's and liked it better than I thought I would. It was one of the early releases that just has the glow in the dark paint on it before they started doing tritium inserts.

It'll be a couple of days before I get the KNS sight post in to try.

The annoying part of buying a new style of gun is the lack of aftermarket parts for it for a while. By using an AR post, should be no shortages of options there.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out too. I have always liked the KNS crosshair front sight, but have never tried one. Mostly because I didn't think they suited a rifle. But I'd be willing to try it out on a pistol caliber carbine. I'm hoping that it doesn't crowd the sight picture. But only time will tell. I'll keep you guys updated.

The KNS crosshair post is supposed to be here tomorrow. "Should" being the key word here.

The tap came today, a day earlier than expected, but that's good. It gave me a chance to go ahead and re-thread the scorpion front housing so all I'll have to do tomorrow is thread the new sight into it and then take it to zero whenever I get the chance.

scorpion%20007_zpsudpp5heq.jpg

Glad I did this.

Not sure how the cross hair sight is going to work out, but I'm glad that I can put a mepro tritium AR sight on it in the future.

Cant' get my camera to focus on everything at once, but this should give you a rough idea of how the sight picture looks.

scorpion front 005.JPG

The AR sights are just what the scorpion was needing.

I am however going to remove the round post and going to install a mepro night sight.

I believe the post type of front sight was faster acquiring multiples. More accurate too. I had several misses today.

John, I love the creative ideas you pot into your EVO Scorpion. I wish I were able to do a fraction of what you have been doing to perfect it to your liking.

Just trying to make it a little more versatile is all.

I have monkeyed with the scorpion probably more than most of my other guns, but I think it's because I like it so well.

I have threaded the barrel on my lathe so I can attach American made muzzle attachments and got rid of that goofy 18mm metric thread, I milled the receiver plate to accept a folding mechanism for a stabilizing brace and the front sight mod is just because I think I can. I think it's pretty easy to see the similarities between the stock scorpion sights and AR sights. I just had to use a different thread pitch to get there.

Was able to install the meprolight tritium ar15 night sight this morning.

Worked out even better than the kns, which I liked but it just took up too much of my sight picture.

The mepro is nearly the same diameter front post as what came on the gun, with the addition of night sights.

I had contacted meprolight usa to ask them if removing some of the threading on the front sight would compromise the tritium insert.

Perhaps not very surprising, they have yet to reply and probably won't.

So, instead of chancing damaging the sight (or myself), I opted to make it so I won't have to shorten the front sights. I drilled a simple 3/16" hole through the top of the handguard so the threads won't need grinded to fit.

True that some people would run away from such a simple task because they are afraid of drilling a piece of plastic on a gun.

I'm not that guy.

The picture below shows a countersunk hole to accommodate the front sight threaded post, but I opted to just finish drilling all the way through to ensure I don't have to take the sights back off of the gun and drill it again. Plus, there is more than ample space between the bottom of the handguard to the top of the barrel so there is essentially no way the two pieces will ever come into contact. Now, no grinding is needed on the sight itself and the hole is barely noticeable enough to ever look like it wasn't factory made.

2ilgfnl.jpg

And once the sight is installed as you normally would, you have something a little like this

2hxpmwg.jpg

2v3g193.jpg

Looking good, glad you are getting it to your liking

Yeah, this front post doesn't obscure as much of the sight picture.

It's going to stay on there.

I haven't had the chance to zero it, or check for zero rather, but I put the sight post with the red dot sitting on top of the post just the way that it was before I made any changes, so if judging by lining the rear sight and the red dot to it, I should be in the right ballpark when I do take it back out next time.

I have no problem with it.

I am using a Bushnell TRS25 red dot, and the factory irons, other than the modification to enlarge the front sight post hole and threading to be able to use AR15 sights.

I am still using the Meprolight night sight front.

Thank you my good friend. I envy all the fun you are having without me being there to see the joy on your face!

I wish you could. I would truly enjoy that. I doubt we'd get much work done though. Sitting around talking all day and shooting would take up most of our time ;)

Just wait until I finish changing the pistol over to a rifle soon though. That's been my hardest project for the gun to date.

And by soon, I mean, next week I hope. I'm just waiting on a payment from a guy for an uzi barrel that I'm not using so I can afford to buy the HBI freefloated carbine handguard while it's still on sale. https://hbindustries.net/store/shop/hbi-handguards-for-cz-scorpion/?attribute_handguard-configuration=11.50" Angle&attribute_complete-kit-or-shroud-only=Complete Kit&attribute_color=Black

I've done a lot of work to make a barrel extension. I think it'll be alright, but am still waiting for the hand tap to get here so I can clean some of my threads on some of my machinework.

The good stuff starts at post #17

http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/need-advice-on-a-project.17175/

Back