• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Model Identification Help: Which Mossberg 500 Do I Have?

Curious about a 500 20ga. With a 22" barrel with wood furniture, would it be considered a bantam or did Mossberg made a full size too? Reason I ask, I'm considering the above for my son, I'm scouring the Internet to see IF there is a difference, the gentleman is looking for ammo in trade, .223, .40, 12ga. and .22lr so if anyone has any thoughts on a round about price too, I would appreciate it.
Thank you.

I posted on a local facebook group that I was looking for a Mossberg 500 and got a response. Unfortunatley the person is not that helpful! He sent a picture and said it is a 500A. He doesnt know what the barrel length is or if is it rifled or smoothbore.... "It's a 12 Guage don't know how long the barrel is but it's huge.. perfect for hunting"- copied from message. Personally I dont know how you wouldnt know that stuff, at least if it was rifled or not lol He is selling it for $200, if anyone could give me a rough estimate on the barrel length I would appreciate it. I was nice to him, but not sure I will get it from him as I can get a new 500 with 2 barrels (cylindrical/rifled) and 3 chokes for about $350.

500A for $200.jpg

I posted on a local facebook group that I was looking for a Mossberg 500 and got a response. Unfortunatley the person is not that helpful! He sent a picture and said it is a 500A. He doesnt know what the barrel length is or if is it rifled or smoothbore.... "It's a 12 Guage don't know how long the barrel is but it's huge.. perfect for hunting"- copied from message. Personally I dont know how you wouldnt know that stuff, at least if it was rifled or not lol He is selling it for $200, if anyone could give me a rough estimate on the barrel length I would appreciate it. I was nice to him, but not sure I will get it from him as I can get a new 500 with 2 barrels (cylindrical/rifled) and 3 chokes for about $350.

View attachment 7364
The barrel length should be stamped on the barrel, FWIW, I had a 28" barrels 500a for sale for $175, no one wanted it, not a peep, I finally traded it for an AR lower, however your area might bring higher money, my biggest concern would be the trigger pack, if it's an old 500 the plastic can get brittle.
Best of luck!

Used 500's sell for under $200 or at least every one I have ever bought did ;)
New 88's for $200 are always a good choice.

I have never seen a brittle trigger guard on an old 500.

Only reason I say the trigger pack can be brittle is one I had broke the front part of catch that tucks in to the front of the receiver, had to order a new trigger.

basically anything can be broken. but the plastic trigger group is one of the least worries on the mossies.

Curious about a 500 20ga. With a 22" barrel with wood furniture, would it be considered a bantam or did Mossberg made a full size too? Reason I ask, I'm considering the above for my son, I'm scouring the Internet to see IF there is a difference, the gentleman is looking for ammo in trade, .223, .40, 12ga. and .22lr so if anyone has any thoughts on a round about price too, I would appreciate it.
Thank you.

I do believe that the 22" 500C field barrel is standard on the bantam model # 54132 and combo model # 54188. Near as I can tell the full size model barrel lengths start at 24", but you know how Mossberg is full of surprises...

I do believe that the 22" 500C field barrel is standard on the bantam model # 54132 and combo model # 54188. Near as I can tell the full size model barrel lengths start at 24", but you know how Mossberg is full of surprises...
Thank you sir, I didn't see the listing again, so it may be gone.

Used 500's sell for under $200 or at least every one I have ever bought did

Man it must be an east coast thing.

Down here in the south, we don't see too many used 500s at all and when we do they're still only about $50 cheaper than msrp. Folks don't let them go much and when they do they're just considered "broke in" rather than used. Guess that adds value...

Man it must be an east coast thing.

Down here in the south, we don't see too many used 500s at all and when we do they're still only about $50 cheaper than msrp. Folks don't let them go much and when they do they're just considered "broke in" rather than used. Guess that adds value...

LES all 4 500's I have purchased all came from Gunbroker and 3 of them from shops down South.

One I should have bought!!!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=463434152

$91 + $45 shipping = $134 add maybe a $20 xfer fee or in my case I get that for free

pix649359150.jpg

Great price.

Those C-Lect chokes are really cool...

For this price even if you did not want a C-Lect barrel you could sell it on Ebay for like $70 and put the money towards a regular choked barrel.
The deals on used 500's are out there.

Hello calonial brothers and sisters,
Fantastic site which I've found invaluable in my search for my first shotgun. I've been looking for a model 500 or 590 for quite a while but new guns are taking ages to reach our shores and used guns are snapped up sharpish. This is my beauty and I'm very pleased. If you can offer any information I would appreciate it.

This is what I know :
12g 500 7+1 slide action shotgun
Wood furniture and I think Marinecote finish.
3'' Magnum certified 1982 London

Kindest regards

Jolyon

Kent, England

New to the forum and shotguns in general! I just picked up a 500 FLEX, 12ga, 28" barrel! I've put 500 shells through it flawlessly so far.

Back