• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mom wouldn't clean the 353T...

CaddmannQ

Will TIG for Food
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I inherited my mom's old Mossberg .22LR, and it's in amazing shape, because she hated to clean.
Mom was a passable cook, but a terrible housekeeper. In her latter years she just let everything slide.

Anyhow, mom shot about a box through this rifle, and dad told her she had to clean it. She did, then put it up in the closet and never shot it again.

So I have a model 353T that isn't quite broken in yet, and I've never seen another.

But I know they're out there because it was a K-Mart special! They must have sold thousands.

Mom bought it at K-Mart with a K-mart-branded 4x Tasco scope on it, which was still in good condition too (but it has a much better 22MAG scope now.) It was a cheaper model rifle, without the checkering, plain sights, and the wood wasn't the fancy burly stuff. But the stock still gleams & is pretty dent-free.

This is a good shooting automatic, when you have the right ammo. It gets balky with hunting loads & will stovepipe once every clip. Remington "golden bullets" seem to do OK. Ely shoots the best though it's twice the price.

Part of that might be the aftermarket clips I had to buy. Mom hid the clip and ammo in 1979 when my first kid was born, and it has never been seen since.

I'll post some pics if there's any interest.

Cool. Definitely interest. We love Pics!!

That must be a very special .22 that takes CLIPS.
Sorry just one of my pet peeves when it comes to guns. Especially since I have guns that do take clips and dont take magazines.

Yeah I know what a clip is.
And I know what mags are.
My truck has one on each corner.:rolleyes:
If you wanna see the pics, quit being picky. :p

Meanwhile go see the pics in the 464 troubleshooting thread.

I would very much like to see it. Sounds like it's a really nice rimfire. I'll see if I can find the topic you put them in.

A stripper clip is used to load rounds into the magazine. A clip is used for hair or paper. It ain't hard folks ;-)

It ain't hard, but fortunately it's not mandatory either. :cool:

Now I've never been in the military myself, but in school I hung out with all the ROTC guys. We went shooting and climbing and cowboy camping in the wilderness.
Nobody ever said "magazine". The word is too long.
Everyone called them clips except maybe in the classroom.
Just like everyone calls the ammunition "rounds" of ammo, when officially they are called cartridges.

People say: "I shot 200 rounds today." Nobody ever says they shot 200 cartridges.

Now I've never been in the military myself, but in school I hung out with all the ROTC guys. We went shooting and climbing and cowboy camping in the wilderness.
Just like everyone calls the ammunition "rounds" of ammo, when officially they are called cartridges.

People say: "I shot 200 rounds today." Nobody ever says they shot 200 cartridges.

This guy's gonna fit in just fine around here... ;)

Now you're just gettin' picky ;)

Mea Culpa . ;)

I took about 200 photos of the 353T this AM, but not with the original Tasco scope. I wasn't gonna re-sight it, but I did knock it down and photo the major parts.

It'll take me a while to sort & edit them, & I may go start/find a photo thread or something.

Thanks to all you folks for the warm welcome. What a nice place.

By the way if there is anybody still reading this I'm still looking for mags and will pay top dollar for an original style magazine for this gun.

It's easy to spot because it has the selector bail made of wire or thin metal. It adjusts the magazine to run shorts or longs or LRs as you wish.

Thank you.

They sold me some OK after-market mags, but no original styles are to be had.

Back