• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Monthly handgun shootout on the forum?

mingaa

Raconteur
I'm on a Taurus Forum and a couple of members there run a TRUST based monthly shootout. They use a handful of classes and barrel designations and change it up a little each month to keep it fun. Prize - monthly bragging rights per class and some more motivation at the range or back yard.

Anyone interested? Scoring can be by standard Walmart Target or on line printable target - either best group or score using the alternate as a tie breaker.

I know this is largely a shotgun sight but we could reinvent this. Plinksters at 25 yds. 4.5" barrel pistols at 15, bug and short barrels at 7.

If you don't know this target analysis program, you should : http://ontargetshooting.com/download1.html
With a short learning curve you get great target scan analysis and reports - no calipers needed.

Think about it! Any shotgun ideas??

I'd help run it - maybe need a partner. Interest? Lots of AR folks here too...

I seem to have extremely little time these days but that should hopefully change soon. These have been done on many forums and it seems like it would be a heckuva lot of fun!

I like it, though my handgun collection is rather limited right now.

It's also much easier for me to get to a handgun range then a long gun range. My local indoor range forbids long guns now unless you buy a several month membership. DOH!!!

Let's style it for popular guns on this forum. Pistols, yes. Maybe we could take a vote?? Gun types owned and interest in the shootout. I go to the range to test ammo, fiddle with sights a nd do a few drills.

I like having something more on the table while I'm there.

22 pistol - 15 yds
22 rifle - 25 yds? 50?
Short barrel (under 4"?) semi and revolver - 7yds
Long barrel ( 4"+) barrel semi and revolver - 15yds
AR 223/5.56 16" barrel - 100yds (not everyone has long range access)
AR open any caliber any barrel - 100 yds
Other (am I missing anything that would be popular?)

If mods are interested I'd put some energy toward this. This is a forum where I think this could be fun and run well. That is not the case with all gun forums as y'all are probably more than aware!

I like this alot! I should be able to get out once a month I would think...

Cant enter the pistol stuff as I dont have a pistol right now, but I'd try the rifle (AR) thing!

Rossignol said:

Cant enter the pistol stuff as I dont have a pistol right now, but I'd try the rifle (AR) thing!

I'm just tossing it out as a fun idea. I enjoy the one on Taurus Armed and I always like a little something extra on the table when shooting (testing ammo, working on sights).

I don't want to start one if it's a bad fit - if schedules are too hectic etc. - just looking to make life a little more fun and matching the comp to what people shoot is important. Shotgun stages are not really leaping to mind.

Further thoughts from the members??? :D

Rossignol said:

We can team up. I'll shoot the pistol portion and you can hammer it out on the long gun range. :D :D

MikeD, with no rifle you may still do better with out me! :lol: But hey! Thats another idea! Why not have pairs enter? If fantasy football is possible, then surely we can figure out teams on here!

Mingaa, I think its an idea we can get worked out and set up a few different things!

We can have a date each month for results to be in by. Maybe check in with the appropriate thread, for example, "Hangun Comp" or "Rifle Comp" etc., enter that month with your name. If we only get two people in "Handgun, Short Barrel, October" then we only get two people, one will win right! :D

So then by the prescribed date, results have to be posted, maybe write the date, make and model firearm and load on the target. Some sorta guideline but not real super strict...

On the rifle stuff, like you said, not everyone has access to 100 yard ranges so we'll see how that goes. But in any case, why not a semi carbine, bolt action... and maybe whatever I'm forgettin.

So keep it laid back, enter if you can and post a group.

ps I'd like to see a shotgun challenge of some sort!

Maybe for shotgun have a recorded round of skeet or trap or something. Shotguns are hard as everyone is into different aspects of it.

I agree with that. I dont shoot trap or skeet, still havent joined that club here.

We could have a couple different things for shotgun maybe... Best group, best round, whatever.

I'd try to participate but don't know if I could every month. I like the idea of slugs at 25 or 50 yards. It would get me to practice with them more. I'd also try one with the Browning 9mm Highpower if it fit into a class...maybe one for full size semi auto's?

If this was started, it would probably show pretty quickly which were popular and will last longer.

Yeah man, I like the idea of the groups!

CB, I dont know I could do it every month either, just something where you can throw your hat into the ring if you want ... or not.

There may not always be any competition for some stuff, but thats fine too.

Maybe each category only comes up quarterly but events are staggered so that

Handgun is Jan-Apr-July-Oct

Shotgun is Feb-May-August-Nov

Rifle is Mar-Jun-Sep-Dec

So each month there is some sort of event but because of firearms owned or schedules you could sit one or two out and always come back to the next quarterly "event".

Honestly, I cannot imagine having a 3-gun every month.

Lots of great thoughts. I'm thinking individuals compete in 1 or more classes as they can per month. Switch up or drill down per class. Awards like Olympics 1st, 2nd, 3rd for each class. I won 2 classes with the Taurus guys last month. Sort of "run what ya brung" casual. A standard target would probably help - maybe downloadable!?

Where do people shoot - what works for members?

I also like the anything goes 'special mention' possibility like someone posts a 3" group with a 9mm carbine at 100 yds but it does not fit a class but is worthy of recognition.

If a class goes empty for a month - so what. If there is 1 entry and that wins maybe someone will come after him next month. All in good fun but also a decent shooting exercise!?

I dont have a 22 but I think a lot do, yes??

What classes would be the most popular? Slugs sounds good - gets shotguns involved.

I have a target in mind. Will post tomorrow.

Would like to hear some more voices. Hey silent majority - any interest???

monthly...DOH.... for some reason I was thinking weekely. Given a monthly thing it would be a bit easier for me to find some range time for long guns.

I also like the idea of teams. It's all for fun so switch it up. It won't twist my shorts if I miss a month due to not having the gear for whatever the challenge is.

Back