• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

More 2a Tin Hat Ranting

CaddmannQ

Will TIG for Food
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
A lot of people believe that because automatic weapons didn't exist when our constitution was written, that our constitution does not protect our right to own automatic weapons. "Clearly," they say, "our forefathers could not have predicted this invention."

Of course these people believe that our forefathers were comparatively stupid, and were not already trying to invent guns that could fire multiple times or load themselves.

The evidence of this desire goes back to the 15th century (!) Italians as I recall, so by the 18th century it would have been well known among educated men.

So the fact that the authors of our law did not exclude such weapons tells me that they were unconcerned about them.

But aside from that fact, let's assume that our forefathers couldn't possibly have understood modern weapons.

What they did understand is the need for security.

In fact they use that exact word, so security was their primary concern here, and not the exact type of weapons available and used to ensure it.

Okay take a big breath and put on the tin foil hats.

I just read that over 50% of Americans believe that there are aliens in outer space. Now I don't believe that our forefathers necessarily expected such to exist, but they certainly would have been interested in ensuring our security against an invasion, had they believed.

Personally I don't think single-shot weapons, or bolt-action weapons, or low powered weapons would be an effective measure against Advanced cultures.

In any event our forefathers would have wanted us to have the best possible arms available against such an attack, right down to the Grassroots level.

Because there is a very good chance that such a culture could evade the detection or countermeasures of our official forces, our only chance for survival might be a well-armed populace.

Now you might imagine that these aliens, instead of coming from outer space, come from, say, Africa or Latin America. And their culture might be far less advanced than our own.

But even in such a lesser case of danger, I can't believe our forebears would have wanted us to have a lesser defense.

I do not think the founders would have ever imagined that military technogy would have advanced as far as it has.

But they did understand human nature which has remained unchanged since the dawn of man.

Modern Life has advanced materially to the point where we own things that would have been unimaginable and unbelievable to our forebears of the 18th century. Because of this, I think modern people are led to believe that folks were too stupid in that age to understand technology or progress.

These folks were really at the very dawn of the Industrial Age. While we are Jaded by the constant progress and development of material things, and barely notice them anymore, in those days every technological advance was a big deal. Such things were widely heralded, when they became known.

Interchangeable parts and production line assembly were still unknown. Things were made one at a time, but by this time in man's history many designs for weapons more complicated than a simple musket had already come to be. They were simply too expensive or impractical, until advances in chemistry and metallurgy made them so.

Clearly these men were intelligent enough to envision advances in civilization and advances in weaponry. Do not imagine they lived in a time when men were too stupid to realize that better and more dangerous weapons would come to be. These fellows already wanted such weapons in order to protect their own rights. People have been working on weapons development every day since the Stone Age and they did not quit during those days.

Yet no clause was ever included to prevent the ownership of any deadly weapon to be, or those they knew about already, were under development, or which might be developed in the future.

Nothing was said about bombs or cannons or flaming ballistas. They didn't prohibit you from owning a gun with two barrels or three barrels or a spring loaded spear on the end, and yet such things did exist.

And even greater weapons existed on paper.

Man had already invented the flamethrower by the time the Greeks and the Persians were knocking heads! Do you see anything in the Constitution about owning a flamethrower? The Harpoon Gun was already invented. If I lived on the Seacoast I might feel like one of those on the patio . . . Sure looks legal according to our constitution.

Those knee breached wig headed fellows did not describe any such objects, but simply included them under the term of arms, and declared that the government may not steal them from you: That your rights of ownership shall not be infringed.

Can you have a catapult for exploding grenades? There is nothing that declares you cannot own an exploding grenade catapult.

So regardless of what many ignorant modern day people declare that our primitive American forebears may have been able to imagine, they have no proof of what they themselves imagine to have been so.

But we have clear proof that the designs and the desire for more advanced weaponry existed at that time and had throughout all of human history.

Only an idiot or a zealot could believe that our forefathers did not imagine or wish for more deadly ways to kill their enemies than the musket or the blade.

Unfortunately there are a lot of idiots and zealots in the world.

I guess if the government drives enough people crazy with their ridiculous plans, unworkable ideas, overreaching taxes, and constant Catch-22 operations, then it will be able to take weapons away from everyone for our own good.

Yes, that will work out just peachy for them.

04a3e3de3f703a1cfdd73b48b44d37ff--its-funny-funny-stuff.jpg

"Now you might imagine that these aliens, instead of coming from outer space, come from, say, Africa or Latin America. And their culture might be far less advanced than our own".

Or San Francisco or Boston or New York.

If the Second Amendment only applies to single-shot weapons because the founding fathers knew nothing of automatic weapons, then logically the First Amendment freedom of the press must only apply to paper and ink. After all, they could not possibly have envisioned radio, television, movies, or the internet.

You been reading my sig line Pawpaw?

This is my sig line on other forums, where more spaces are allowed:
If the right to bear arms doesn't apply to modern firearms; freedom of speech doesn't apply to radio, tv, or the internet. -John A.
----------------------------------
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you have ignorant gun laws.
-John A.

Back