• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mosin Nagant

Mosin Nagant 91/30

I got my Mosin Nagant a couple years ago and after hundreds of rounds down range, I realized I want to use this as a deer rifle. I could use it now but due to the fact that mounting a scope on it requires smithing, I'm kind of hesitant. I am not by any means a gunsmith, nor have i ever done any machining to my firearms. I was looking at the ATI scope mount, bolt handle combo and was wondering if anyone has done the machining for this and if so, give a little insight. I don't want to **** my rifle up, and also no smith shops in my area do this procedure. If you think the work is too hard for a novice, is there any online sites that do bolt work for a reasonable price? Any input would help. Thanks

Neil

If you don't want to take it to a gunsmith or do the work yourself, I believe the drop in rails where the rear sight leaf sits are your only option.

Right on....let us know what you decide to do.

:shock: :eek: BEHOLD MY FELLOW NAGANT-ERS!!!! THE NEW ARCHANGEL MOSIN NAGANT 91/30 STOCK!!! :eek: :shock:

qDHtpEr.jpg

Isn't awesome?! Got it today. I thought it was my ebony I had ordered on Sunday from Woodbarter, but, When I picked it up and read who it was from...Promag, I almost dropped it....

I can't wait to put it together and try it out!!!

BUCKOW YA YA!!!!

ripjack13 said:
:shock: :eek: BEHOLD MY FELLOW NAGANT-ERS!!!! THE NEW ARCHANGEL MOSIN NAGANT 91/30 STOCK!!! :eek: :shock:

qDHtpEr.jpg

Isn't awesome?! Got it today. I thought it was my ebony I had ordered on Sunday from Woodbarter, but, When I picked it up and read who it was from...Promag, I almost dropped it....

I can't wait to put it together and try it out!!!

BUCKOW YA YA!!!!

SWEET, congrats bro!

Can't wait to see it all tricked out and I'm really lookin forward to your range report...

I haven't put it together yet Joe. I'm hoping this weekend I can get to it.

WOO! Yet another thread I can join in on! :)

Had the approval of my Newly Wed Wife to purchase this (Obviously Heavily Used) Chi-Com M53 Mosin Nagant. I originally stopped in to help this guy out with his business, which is suffering from being smothered by Walmart, Dicks and Dunhams, all within 5 miles of his little gun shop and Hydro Dipping set up. A guy I work with is the nephew of the Store Owner and said he is really being hit hard because he can't get ANY ammo or decent guns in and wanted me to swing by and see if anything caught my eye...

Well a nice, beaten, used and decently priced M53 caught my eye sitting in the corner. Restoration-ish is in progress as we speak now...

Chinese (1956) M53 Mosin Nagant (7.62x54R)
Practically nothing matches at all lol Stock is very obviously abused and beat to hell and back but the price was right and the Mrs thought it would be a neat Wedding Gift :) $150 was tagged but I walked out with 40rnds of ammo, a 25% discount card for a Hydro Dipping of my choice and the rifle for $150 total (including tax, background check and some 550 cord buckles).

Took it to the range and other then my horrible flinching problem at the bench, it was "Minute of Paper Plate" at 100yds. That could be drastically improved with better buttpad and some more trigger time. Did I mention that this thing is super fun?!?!?!?

I am going for something similar to this for the "restoration"

WHOOPS! WRONG PICTURE! ;) :lol:

This is a pretty neat NEW stock by PRO-MAG but I am seriously only going to some minor stock refinishing and MAYBE attach a PU Sniper Scope to the receiver if it isn't too entirely much

ripjack13 said:
Sweet! welcome to the club bro.

Thanks! I didn't see it posted anywhere here, but I have read that if you shoot some corrosive ammo out of your Mosin there is a way to neutralize the effect of oxidation. I guess the Ammonia in Glass Cleaner does something to the powder or the chemicals that cause the corrosive damage and renders them "non corrosive" so to speak.

Don't take my word for it but I have read it in various places on the internet... so it must be true. Right? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nope...it's true. after you are done shooting for the day, spray some down the barrel. it neutralizes it from corroding.
Ask sniper.....he only speaks the truth. :cool:

Yes it's true that glass cleaner works, and so does plain 'ole H2O.

These were hard core battle rifles and in all my research I haven't been able to find where the Russians issued bottles of Windex to their troops. They all carried canteens though. Water will instantly neutralize the corrosive salts in the old surplus ammo. Just pour a little down the barrel as soon as you're done shooting and run a bore snake through it until it's dry. A few patches and some light oil once you get home and you're done...

Back