• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mosin Nagant

Re: Any Mosin Nagant fans??

Here is my 1938 91/30 Mosin. My father got it in the early 60's and I have had it since about 87. No matching ser #'s and no import stamp. According to research the import stamp was added to weapons after about 1965. Also 91/30's were made in Russia then the parts where shipped to Spain and assembled before and during the Spanish Civil war prior to WWII. These guns very seldom had matching ser #'s. They then were shipped to the US. My dad got this 91/30 allready sporterized. It is fairly accurate even tho my tired eyes have a hard time using iron sights. It will give a decent kick if not held tightly.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 2,674

I'm really enjoying this thread! I dont have a Mosin, nor do I really plan to ever have one. But you guys have been getting some really great pics!

Tore down the M44 today.

It's detail stripped and all the cosmoline is now gone. Since I had it all pulled apart I decided to refinish the stock. Sanded it down to naked wood and applied a few coats of red mahogany. I'll let it dry overnight and lacquer it tomorrow after work. It'll end up lookin just like it did (I hope). I'll snap some new pics once I get her put back together.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Tore down the M44 today.

It's detail stripped and all the cosmoline is now gone. Since I had it all pulled apart I decided to refinish the stock. Sanded it down to naked wood and applied a few coats of red mahogany. I'll let it dry overnight and lacquer it tomorrow after work. It'll end up lookin just like it did (I hope). I'll snap some new pics once I get her put back together.
Far out, I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Put the final touches on my refinishing job this afternoon. The stock came out great, nice and red, not too shiny. Here she is all stripped ...

... here she is reassembled and range ready ...

I hope to finally get out to the range with it this coming weekend.

Good thread. I currently have a 91/30 made at Tula in 1938. Fit and finish on the 1941, and before, dated rifles seems to be better due to not being rushed by an invading German army.

I will get pics of it the next time I am out at the range with it.

BTW, who here has a Naval/Marine sling instead of a green army sling?

Man, Some real beauties above!!

I love these old rifles and have since added a K98 to my older style gun collection. It's a Russian Capture and when I bought it, it wouldn't fire surplus ammo. I replaced the main spring in the bolt with a 24lb spring and had her out today and shot like a dream. 8mm is relatively inexpensive with the surplus stuff and I use it in my VZ24 and K98. Fun old boys with alot of punch!!!

The Army Surplus place across the river in KY has several Mosins, nothin of the more rare or hard to find, but the 91/30's. I looked, but they just didnt capture my imagination, they didnt talk to me.

Now the HK G3A3 got my attention!

Rossignol said:
The Army Surplus place across the river in KY has several Mosins, nothin of the more rare or hard to find, but the 91/30's. I looked, but they just didnt capture my imagination, they didnt talk to me.

Now the HK G3A3 got my attention!

You need to shoot a Nagant to fully appreciate it's power and potential. The length of the gun combined with 54r round is just a fun straight shooting open sight rifle with ammo that's cheaper than about anything other than a 22lr.

I dunno Dave. Maybe one day, I have a friend who has one. But hes a farmer and pretty much works sun up to sun down. I otherwise, just have no desire to.

You could always pick one up and drop it into one of ATI's Monte Carlo replacement stocks. Great way to build a reliable and accurate rifle for under $200. I'm actually gonna pick up two 91/30s in the near future and one of them is gonna be wearing a Monte Carlo.

Rossignol said:
I dunno Dave. Maybe one day, I have a friend who has one. But hes a farmer and pretty much works sun up to sun down. I otherwise, just have no desire to.

I hear ya, Brad..

Don't give up on these old beauties, if you do get the chance to shoot your friends take the opportunity and see what ya think, I love all 3 of mine.. :cool:

Its just one of those things, I like to look at them and read what others say about them, but you know how sometimes you have a full plate already? Enough so that unless something really intrigues you, you just dont wanna get into it? Thats kinda where I am right now. I wanna get a rifle, but I'm not in a hurry.

Picked up another one today. This one's a 1930 Russian (Tula) 91/30 with a 'hex' receiver.

All serial numbers match and it's in amazing condition. The stock is in great shape and the bore is nice and deep. Didn't take long to get this one cleaned up either.

oh man. i should have seen this thread sooner. cabelas had mosins on sale for $99 last week! crap.

let me reiterate my earlier statement....

crap.

i was there on sunday too, to get the invisible fence thing for my dog. on sale as well...

$99's not too bad a price if it's got a 'hex' receiver, but I've seen the round receivers all over the place for as low as $70. These are great rifles. They definitely offer a lot of bang for your buck and ammo is relatively inexpensive too...

Rossignol said:
Its just one of those things, I like to look at them and read what others say about them, but you know how sometimes you have a full plate already? Enough so that unless something really intrigues you, you just dont wanna get into it? Thats kinda where I am right now. I wanna get a rifle, but I'm not in a hurry.

All good, I'm envious of your patience. I'm not trying to sell anything on you just pointing out a good cheap great shooting rifle. I love them, that's all that matters to me and my plate is pretty full lately too if you ya know what I mean..

Dave, I absolutely do know what you mean! Having this forum and all the different firearms represented has been a great help as I look for what I want, and if not for you guys here, I'd be far more in the dark!!! :D

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
$99's not too bad a price if it's got a 'hex' receiver, but I've seen the round receivers all over the place for as low as $70. These are great rifles. They definitely offer a lot of bang for your buck and ammo is relatively inexpensive too...

i actually looked at em. but not closely. so i don't know exactly what kind the receiver was. not on sale anymore, and i need to save up for my springfield.....

Back