• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mosin Nagant

I like to at least run a bore snake through mine at the range.

The crud is a lot easier to get out of the barrel when it's still hot...

I'll be impressed if you ring a gong at 500 yards with surp ammo and a China T53. Its tough to do with the longer sight radius and rough heavy trigger pull on most Mosins. With the shorter bbl and sight radius on the carbine good luck. Limbsaver if you don't have one yet might be a good idea. Walmart usually has the small size available, highly recommend one and you can usually pass one on your way to a range.

I am not expecting some miracle at 500 yards but I would at least like to try and hit the gong. If I can't, no biggie, but the 300 shouldn't be bad at all. I am going to paint the sights, front Orange and rear Red, with a "T" shape on the rear. The Black on Black is going to near impossible to use in the woods early morning or late afternoon and that needs to be remedied.

Got out to shoot some more today and it shoots High Left. Shooting high is just what the gun does and it is Left because I took the bayonet off and when you do that, the POI almost always shifts from what I have read. I have plenty of adjustment on the front sight to move the POI and will be doing that sometime this weekend hopefully. (More reason to shoot lol)

As for the buttpad, I have an ATI buttpad, I found for $5 on amazon, coming in the mail. If that is still not enough comfort I will venture the route of a Limbsaver. The metal buttplate is hell on my shoulder but not enough to deter me :D lol

Yep, that sounds about right with the missing bayo. Also with less metal on the gun more recoil. :( Some folks use JB weld or similar to add to the top of the front post to bring the POI down some.

Depending on the size of the steel plate you are engaging 300 should be feasible if you are doing your part. Out to 500 though a little bit of luck might be a good idea so best of luck sir.

Cheers
J

The Ruskies' battle zero on these rifles was for 300m.

I've got faith that rickmo won't have any issues regularly knockin the piss out of a gong at 500yd..

I had read that the "battle zero" was at 300m... what I cannot figure out is, what happens when I elevate the sight too 300?? Is it still on at 300 or is it going to be high, to which point I should be able to hit the 500 without elevating the sight to it's pre-determined position??

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

I've got faith that rickmo won't have any issues regularly knockin the piss out of a gong at 500yd..

Videos or it didn't happen :D

THANKS! :D I will read through it, probably 5 times before I understand it haha
I have read another write-up from him, I think PT 2.. could be wrong.

AK... Once I am confident that I won't make a complete ass of myself, there will be video! lol

EDIT: I did read through this PT3 already, however, it still doesn't really answer whether or not raising the rear sight too the 300m preset will be on at 300 or high like it is at 100. If the Ruskies (T53 is Chicom but same principle) managed to get passed the elevation somehow to make 300m actually 300 and 100m high to be 300m battle ready..... we have some physics ass kickin' mofo's :lol:

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

I don't doubt it either once he gets it dialed in. Going solely off memory here, bullet drops what, 60, 70 something inches (thanks for pointing that error out lazy) at that distance. Maybe a bit more. Unless the Chinese front sight posts are much shorter than all the other countries mosins which could but I doubt it I think I'd probably start at the 400 mark on the sight and go from there. As I've been told in the past they trained conscripts to aim for the belt buckle with the intention of getting a chest hit most likely and the front sight posts on most usually support that thought process. A proper 6 oclock hold on all of mine sure did, I always had to hold a bit ower than what I usually would with other iron sighted rifles. Also with surp ammo, condition of your bore etc... all factors in so who knows. Good for you the ammos cheap and plentiful so you can afford to experiment with it.

I'll be honest I rarely pushed any of mine out to 300 yards, just not very many public places around here had the longer distances available. Even when I did I never printed anything respectable on paper. Those sights are just too crude for that type of shooting. I never understood why they put up to a 2000m mark on the 91/30s. Thats just extreme wishful thinking lol. Always thought of it more like simulating the moon shot for that sight ladder setting.

Go ring that gong now. I know you can.

I think 60 or 70 feet is a bit excessive in drop. I don't think it even gets that bad out too 800 yards haha

Taken from Hornady Vintage Match 7.62x54R which is suppose to be the same as mil-surp but better QC

MUZZLE.....100.......200........300.......400......500
-1.50.........2.00......0.00......-8.80....-25.40..-51.20

Now if that is zeroed at 200m/yd... one can only assume it is around 30 inches drop when Battle Zero is 300m with irons... I could have fun with this >:)

60-70 feet? No way.

At 500yd you might see a drop of more like 60-70 inches, or less depending on your ammo. With a 300m zero, your point of impact can be as much as a foot high inside 150yd because the bullet will still be traveling upward toward the apex of its arc around 160-170yd. As far as effective range goes, we're talking about a bullet with ballistics comparable to the .30-06. Granted there are a lot of variables in play with these old battle rifles, but once you get it dialed in you won't have any issues hitting man sized targets out to 800yd or more...

Above noted trajectory is measured in INCHES for the record. I assume Brown Bear, Silver Bear and Tula/Wolf are similar if not the same when all else is equal.

Once I adjust my front sights, I definitely believe I have a chance out too 500 but it might take a few paper wrapped packages to get there. Once my Muzzle Brake and ATI Buttpad make it in the mail, those will help a TON with my flinch n'pull problem... lol As I said before, I will start at 300, using the battle zero and move on from there. Find out where the preset 300 hits at 300 and then test it at 400 and 500. If I am correct, it should still be slightly high at 500 when set too 300.

EDIT: JG, I was concerned for your mental well being when you said feet lol... that's like 30 carbine at 1500yds haha

Ever seen the sight ladder of a 91/30 at the 2000m mark? 70 feet straight up off the back of the rifle might actually be about right lol.

lol I had my sight set too the 1000m mark and I don't think you can even shoulder it, get a cheek weld and maintain a good line of sight with the irons.... Definitely just lobbing lead down range as suppression fire at that point haha

OK!!! It's finally on!

before...
I21AJDol.jpg

and after!!!

YKttnLal.jpg

CvGoFOgl.jpg

GZadzVNl.jpg

LA1c9c5l.jpg

KNoXOgjl.jpg

vLeAbYhl.jpg

Real easy too....
remove the 2 retaining bands on the barrel,
then the 2 screws on the trigger/bolt housing, and
Bam! It just dropped right in. no problem.

:D

I cant wait to try it out!!!

Damn rip, it looks great!

That's a whole lotta awesome right there. Lookin forward to seeing how she shoots in the new chassis...

That Archangel looks really good.

Been thinking about picking that pair up myself.

Back