• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 100 ATR- New Owners Area...

Wow great replys fellas, thank you.

I am liking that SPS Tactical...I am going friday to hold the night train and a few Remingtons which will help with my final decision.

Were I am going to be using this for knockin over deer and playing around at the range the night train may be well suited for the job...

I know for sure now though I will buy without a scope and purchase one a nicer one. This will be my October project and will keep you guys updated.

Don't think you can go wrong either way.

Granted the Remy 700 offers more aftermarket support from a parts and accessories standpoint, but if you're just planning to add a scope and keep the rifle factory that shouldn't factor too heavily in your decision.

The best money you will spend after the rifle and scope will be for a variety of ammo in different brands and projectile weights to find out what your rifle likes. Once you find one that is consistent, buy a LOT of it and practice for consistency. Once you decide which way to go let me know. I shoot a lot of .308 and can try to save you some guess work on ammo selection...

So I just held both rifles and personally the Remington 700 SPS Tactical 20'' is exactly what I am looking for! I feel weird adventuring off from Mossberg but damn is this a nice rifle. I am picking it up Monday :D:D:D

For hunting deer say longest shot I would even try would be 200-250 yards.
And (noob ?) can I just mount the scope mounts to the rifle without a picatinny rail? I believe its called a one piece mount? On that note what should I get for scope mounts?

Hey Everyone, First post here. My daughter just bought me a ATR in .308... Only thing is, I can't play with it till XMas. She has already wrapped it and put it under the tree. Found this forum looking around for upgrades and Mod's that can be done to make this a better, personalized Rifle. This is my first long gun. I own other pistols, but not a rifle, so I'm happy.
It is also Ironic that it is a .308 because a few Years back while Moving to Korea, we got tagged by Korean Customs. Said we were importing/ trafficking illegal Arms or Ammunition. Come to find out, my daughter had a 7.62 round with an eyelet where the primer goes on a dog tag chain. We were treated like we were transporting a shipment of "Fast and Furious" weapons. After about 3 hours and 4 different Korean Gov't agencies, to include EOD come out and explain our story for the Millionth? time they finally let us depart the airport.

Pops
USMC, USA Retired

Welcome aboard and thank you for serving Sir.

Congrats on the new rifle. Had a buddy of mine get caught up in airport security here in the States. He unknowingly had a live .380 round in the bottom of his backpack that had fallen out on his last range trip. He was detained for about six hours until they finally accepted that it was an honest mistake and let him go. He learned never to use the same bag for both range trips and airline travel ever again. As hard as that was for him I can't even begin to imagine how you all felt going through that in a foreign country, especially Korea. That could have gone a lot worse...

Thank you for your service Pops,

After I got out of the US ARMY in 1976, I acquired a Sako in 308 and have always missed it after I sold it. Too fancy for me now so I went for the Mossy.
I ordered a Boyd's thumbhole and will pillar and Bisonite it. Ordered some Burris ZEE rings to mount my Redfield 3x9x50 and we will see how she shoots.
Can't be any worse than the GM Hydromatic they issued me in boot camp..lol
Nice inexpensive base to upgrade and alter to make it your own.

Back