• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 146B Trigger Guard Repair

Beardenn

Copper BB
I just purchased my second Mossberg. The first was a 500 pump over 30 years ago. I started collecting .22s with tubular mags recently and the 146B is one I just picked up last week for under $100. The Weaver V22-A scope and T-bolt handle initially drew me to the rifle.

There are a couple things that need to be cleaned up and the trigger guard is in need of repair. The rear screw had been tighten too much and the hole was enlarged beyond the size of the head of the screw. An attempt seems to have been made to then glue the guard to the stock. I have been able to clean the glue residue off the guard with very fine steel wool. I now want to fill the void inside the guard with plastic, epoxy, J.B. Weld, or the like so I can drill a new hole.

My question is if anyone knows what type or plastic was used to make the trigger guards so I can ensure that whatever I use to repair it is compatible.

The iron sights were also removed or never installed when the scope was added. Does anyone know what size (diameter) screws are needed to fill these holes?

I think I saw this on another forum except the part about screw size. Common Mossberg screw size is 8-40 for barrel sights. I assume the trigger guard has shrunk and needs to be tightened to the stock first. This is common with the "plastic" Mossberg guards. I have just used bigger headed screws and often a new screw hole. - Bill

I think I saw this on another forum except the part about screw size. Common Mossberg screw size is 8-40 for barrel sights. I assume the trigger guard has shrunk and needs to be tightened to the stock first. This is common with the "plastic" Mossberg guards. I have just used bigger headed screws and often a new screw hole. - Bill

Thanks. I ordered some screws of that size and will install them over the weekend when I get a chance to give it a thorough cleaning.

I did check and sure enough, the guard had shrunk about 3/16 of its length. This is probably why the screw hole in the guard is damaged. Someone tightened it too much in an attempt to get it to stretch back to the hole in the stock. I will fill in the back, drill a new hole and drill a matching one into the stock.

Bear. I can't help you out with your 500 trigger guard, but I just wanted to say Howdy from E TN.

I recently had to repair a crack on the bottom of a Mossberg 46m triggerguard. I used gray J.B. weld for the repaair, but removed some of the trigerguard plastic with a file on the side of the guard that is hidden inside the inletting, filled the area flush (including the hole) than filed and drilled the guard after the epoxy had hardened. I then took some plastic black model paint (in a felt-tip applicator) and covered any of the remaining gray epoxy. I really can't tell it has ever been repaired.

I recently had to repair a crack on the bottom of a Mossberg 46m triggerguard. I used gray J.B. weld for the repaair, but removed some of the trigerguard plastic with a file on the side of the guard that is hidden inside the inletting, filled the area flush (including the hole) than filed and drilled the guard after the epoxy had hardened. I then took some plastic black model paint (in a felt-tip applicator) and covered any of the remaining gray epoxy. I really can't tell it has ever been repaired.

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing. It sounds like you used the regular JB Weld that is gray and steel infused. They do have a "plastic weld", but if the regular has adhered well, I will use that. I believe I have some already. I was going to search to see if different colors are available. I don't think experimenting with adding colorant of some type would be worth it since it is paintable after it dries.

I wonder if filling in the back with epoxy would even slow the shrinkage of those that have not yet been distorted too much.

Last edited:

I did see the new reproductions available, but would like to use the old one. I found one source that has them for $15. It could probably be easily made on a 3D printer. I wonder how difficult this would be to make out of fiberglass.

I've seen someone was at one time milling them out of aluminum, but the person has since retired from doing so.

I have used JB weld to repair my stevens shotgun trigger guard. It was actually missing pieces and I had to essentially make an extension with the jb weld on mine.

They've not been made in years, and you simply can't find replacements for them.

I did however find a guy named David Tillander that makes molds and gun parts. You could probably get his contact info by searching: tillander grips

If you can get it repaired so that it is a solid piece with the JB weld, he may be willing to make you a one off if you can't find a replacement. Or if the JB weld doesn't work (which I think it will).

Check out this old topic that I did here on the forum about essentially doing what you're discussing:

http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/stevens-model-94-m-trigger-guard-repair.2980/

I must have been sleeping when I posted my last reply. I missed saying the shrunken trigger guards are often tie strapped to the stock (often with one of the screws taken out) and heat is applied (usually hair dryer) not too hot. As the guard warms up tighten the tie straps until guard is back in place. Then you may need the larger screw to cover the enlarged hole. - Bill

I have a 146B that I bought for like $79 with a weaver 4x scope on it, and someone had checkered the stock, and put inlays in it (which were long gone) but apparently the trigger guard had been long broken, and someone cast one from aluminum and hammerd and ground it - pretty cool. I refinished the stock, made some inlays from wood and plastic to replace what was missing, replaces the firing pin (it was worn), and generally tuned it up. The thing is a tack driver, and I love it! I put a 3-7X scope on it with lighted crosshairs, and I just love shooting it.

I have to downsize the pics so I can share them...

b61a791eabbb014adbce0d1b2976322b.jpg

Here is my hand made trigger guard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You just won the internet today.

That looks awesome.

Back