• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 464 Lever Action Sights

Mossberg 464 30-30 Rear Sight

Anyone tried a Marble Bullseye rear sight? Looks to be handy.
http://www.marblearms.com/bullseyeSights.html

How would I know if I need the the long or short one?
http://www.marblearms.com/bullseyeSights_info.html

I have problems using the factory installed rear sight because of being near sighted. Hard to keep focus on it and the front sight at the same time. The aperature sight on my M1 is much easier for me to use so I thought the Bullseye might work ok.

I've had my 464 for a few months and have found it to be very reliable and user friendly. I reload and use 170 grain bullets with H4895 powder.

Bill

Re: Mossberg 464 30-30 Rear Sight

ko4nrbs;
First off Welcome and Hello!

I too have troubles with my sights on all of my rifles... :cry:
My 464 has Williams Fire sights so the are better to see (in the daylight :lol: )
I have had to go to scopes on my long guns, (I'm looking to scope my 464 as we speak) :shock:

I do not know about the Marble Bullseye sights BUT, THEY LOOK GOOD! :D

Let us know if you do get them and how they work.

Lateck,

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum ko4nrbs!!

I think I speak for everyone when I say we would like to see some pics of your firearm(s)... ;)

My first outing with the Marble Bullseye was inconclusive. It took me awhile to get it adjusted correctly for windage. I'm going to try it again Saturday. One thing for sure it's a lot better sight for my old eyes. I can see much better with it.
Bill

The Marble Bullseye sight works very well. I highly recommend it as a replacement rear sight. I really like how your eye automatically centers itself in the two peep sights. When I aimed at the buck I got it was overcast and very wooded but the sight picture was excellent. Centered up the front gold bead on the deers shoulder and fired. The bullet hit where I was aiming and the deer only ran about 50 yeards before piling up on the ground.
Bill

I love my 464, but I apparently underestimated just how bad my eyes are getting (I'm pretty severely-nearsighted).

I see Skinner sights is offering a set of aperture rear sights. Nice. My main issue right now is that I can't see the front bead in anything less than a bright, sunny day (and no such thing exists during Buck Season in Pennsylvania!).

Does anyone offer fiber optic (the real thing, not a plastic "light tube") front sights for the 464 yet?

Re: Aftermarket front sights for 464?

I have not personally tried them, but Williams sells what they describe as "fiber optic" front sights. I don't know if they are plastic, or not.

I am also older, near sighted, and have trouble focusing on the front sight with my glasses on. For most shooting situations, I simply remove my glasses. It's not a perfect view of the front sight, but better than with the glasses on. Lately, I have been experimenting with using an "add-on" lens to my glasses. It has roughly the same effect as using tri-focal glasses. It does give me a much clearer front sight, but the target gets much fuzzier. IMHO, seeing the front sight clearly is more important than seeing either the target, or rear sight clearly. Second in importance is the rear sight.

I could not find any way to get a good compromise of front sight clear and rear sight clear with the factory rear sight on the 464. The factory sight pretty much requires that both front and rear sight be seen clearly. I couldn't do that. So, I purchased a Marble Arms Bullseye sight to replace the factory rear sight. It works well with either glasses off, or with the add-on lens. I don't need to see the rear sight clearly, just get the front in the middle of the rear. It works kinda like a ghost rear sight.

I have the Williams on my SS 464...Here they are:

They are nice. I went with a scope for my old eyes..... and see through rings.

By the way Welcome.. :D

Lateck,

I now also have the Marble Arms Bullseye. The short version. Worked well at the range. last weekend. Groups were pretty small left-to-right. High-to-low... I'm workin' on it!

I sadly broke the stock rear sight (the tiny screw for the sight adjustments) on my 464 and am now looking for a replacement sight.

I like the look of the Williams sights, but since I am new to customizing guns I am unsure what to get and where (as in good and reliable shops).

Would this fit the 464 since it only talks about Marlin and Winchester models:

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/rifle1.htm
"Item #60217 - Dovetail Fire Sight Set $36.95
Fully adjustable rear metallic FireSight fits all standard 3/8 inch dovetails on most Marlin and Winchester models. Front FireSight steel bead replaces existing factory bead. Light gathering fiber optics for most lever action rifles with ramped front sights."?

Some reviews on:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2603 ... IRE-SIGHTS

complain about the front sight being to low, for example:
"... After adjusting the rear sight as low as it would go (i.e. removed the set screw), I just did hit the top of the box to which I had placed a shoot-n-see target. I guess the only option is to raise the front sight..."

It seems that the front sight on Lateck's pictures is higher then the one shown on the stock pictures on Williams website:
http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/image_d.htm

I would very much appreciate _ANY_ feedback you have for me! :)

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum gentlemen !!

Demian; Welcome to the forum... :D

I looked at the Williams sights you listed and then at mine on my 464. The front sight on mine looks like William's Rifle sight and not their Lever Action sight.
Now I did not put the sights on my lever as they came that way. My brush gun was a Davidson's special from the factory. :cool:
You might call Williams and ask them what they provided???? :?:

Good Luck,
Lateck,

In my experience, the problem is not really "fit". Just about any sight, front or rear, designed for a 3/8in dovetail, will "fit". Many companies make sights for a standard 3/8in dovetail. Williams, Lyman, Skinner, others. They will all "fit". The problem, really, is the heights of the sights. In general, for the 464, the rear sight needs to be pretty low, and the front sight needs to be pretty high. Relatively. The taller the rear sight gets, the taller the front sight needs to be. It's difficult to say that one certain set of sights, one exact combination of front and rear, will be the right height for your particular rifle. What I decided to do was to pick a rear sight that I liked. Put that on the rifle. Then experiment with different front sight heights, until I found the height that works best, for me. When you find a new rear sight that you like, it will most likely "fit", but unless that new sight is very close in height to the sight you had before, you may need to get a new front sight to adjust for height.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

@Lateck and Nick98338, that is exactly the kind of helpful feedback I was looking for! Very insightful, thanks a lot guys!

ko4nrbs which site did you buy? Short, Long or Fixed? Was it easy to install?

Thanks
Jim

Would ko4nrbs or Nick98338 give a description about removing the original iron sights? I'm a newbie but I am curious on what is involved? Thanks again.

Jim

It's in a dove tail. Just take a punch and tap it out. Lay the rifle flat on soft surface and padded to do it. Then tap in new sight. Take your time and be careful not to nick the rifle's metal.
Bil

I recommend that the punch be made of soft metal. At least, softer than what the sight is made of. And the hammer have a metal head with a little weight to it. Not real heavy, though. Not a plastic hammer. FWIW, I used the Marble sight for about 3 months. It worked the best, for me, of any rear sight I've used. However, I recently went to a scope.

Back