• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 464 Lever Action Sights

New skinner rear sight

I just bought a new skinner rear peep sight, just have not recieved it yet. I have been doing alot of reading about different sights and I think this wil work just fine for me. What does everyone think?

Re: New skinner rear sight

I have heard nothing but great things about the skinner sights; did you get to install yours yet?

Open sights suggestions?

Pick my 464 up on Friday, & I am trying to find out about some after market open sights to fit can you guys point me in the right direction I like the look of the Williams fire sights but can't find anything for the 464 is there a set that fit?

I've seen skinners do one are they an easy fit?

Re: Open sights suggestions?

Howdy;

I'm not sure what the number is but I know that Williams makes them! I have some on my 464 Davidson Special... :D

I think the set for the Winchester 94 will work.... (I am not an expert!, call them first).

Good Luck,
Lateck,

Something like this??

IMG_0368-1024x768.jpg
- as depicted in the Truth About Guns 30-30 vs 357 shootout.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/0 ... 57-magnum/

"The Williams rear aperture sight was clear and precise, but the tiny front post was a challenge to pick up..."

Scope??

BTW - which version of the gun did you get??

Thanks for the replys fellas ended up getting the skinner lo pro for it. It's just the standard pistol grip 464!

I put it on and checked it out in the back yard with the bore sight. It looks good so i took the 464 out to the range and fired off about 40 rounds at 100 yards. The only problem I see at 100 yaards and a 10" round target, the target vanishes behind the front sight. Yes I did hit the target but not where I wanted to each time. So it looks like a scope is going to be in the picture soon any ideas for a scope for a lever action rifle?

That is too bad that it did not work out for your setup. Did you call Skinner and see if they had any suggestions on things you could try? As far as scopes go I am a big fan of the redfield series.

this is the peep sight they make. Works ok for short distances but for 100 yards not. Redfield I will have to take a look.

464 sight choices

My eyesight being on the poor side I've decided to try something to improve my aim w/o going to a scope. I don't have anything against scopes, but I like the idea of keeping it a little closer to "vintage-looking" & still(hopefully)improve my target(or hog)shooting.

I would love to find a flip-up tang peep sight, but I don't think the 464's safety slide location will allow it. I read in some other posts of some guys using the Marbles "bullseye", so I've ordered one to try it.

132532.jpg

Not sure if the blade front site will work ok with the "bullseye" or not, but I'm afraid the gold dot will block out the target at 100yds. I also ordered this KNS front site...

137119.jpg

The combination may or may not work, but I'm hoping some combination of the four will improve my groups. I'll report back my results.

Re: 464 sight choices

Whoa! Get a picture of these two sights together!! I wonder if the ring of the front sight will match the ring on the rear to create something similar to a scope view :eek:

The original rear sight came off rather easily, but it took me about an hour to to get the bullseye sight on! So far, I haven't been able to budge that blade front sight. I don't have a vice setup for gun work, so I've been trying to use wood blocks on the table top & a brass drift. It ain't workin.

Jeff

Itsricmo said:
..... I wonder if the ring of the front sight will match the ring on the rear to create something similar to a scope view :eek:

I was hoping the same thing, but we'll see....if I ever get the blade sight off!

Jeff

Any progress on this? I'm looking at swapping sights on my 464SPX and this looks like an interesting option!

I had to drift my front post a little left. It took a good whack with a hammer and brass punch against a 4x4 block to get it to move. No damage to sight or finish though.

TerryD said:
Any progress on this?

I still haven't gone after that front site again. I was planning to do some target shooting w/ my son-in-law & my brother-in-law over the holiday, so I decided to try the bullseye rear site w/ the original blade front site.

The combination is a big improvement over the original setup, but out beyond 50 yards or so the blade blots out the bullseye. Not that big a deal for my eyes since the target gets pretty fuzzy at that range.

I still want to try that reticle front site, though. I'll go after it again this week & report back.

Jeff

Photos as requested....

2013-01-03_15-46-59_48_zps99bbd662.jpg

2013-01-03_15-48-14_692_zps91228493.jpg

Haven't shot it yet w/ the new front site, but it does look promising. I finally got that blade site to come loose, but it took some blows to get it going. The new reticle site was not snug in the barrel dovetail, so I put a drop of superglue on the site base & let it dry, then installed it. That added just enough resistance for an adjustable fit.

Back