• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 464 Lever Action Troubleshooting

Re: New owner of Mossberg 464 SPX, however this sucks !!! >>

From your description of the hammer binding up the bolt and action it seems that your course of action (return for warranty service) is the best and only way to go. If a receiver pin has sheared or whatever no amount of coaxing is going to remedy the problem.

I understand your aggrevation and frustration.

Please post a follow up, and DEMAND that OFM return your rifle with a detailed description of the problem plus what was done to correct it.

Call OFM and ask for Edna; she will get this taken care of for you. You can also message her on the forum her.

Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions. I have already contacted Mossberg Support and they will be sending me a FEDEX Label and I was able to get an unmarked box to fit the rifle. How ever who is OFM and Edna ??? God Bless :)

Welcome Too Mossberg Owners from Central PA! Sorry to hear of your troubles but with it being so new I would certainly return on Warranty! I wouldn't load anything but a Dummy Round in it!

Good luck with your issue and be sure to keep us posted.

VBVAGUY said:
How ever who is OFM and Edna ??? God Bless :)

OFM = Mossberg (O.F. Mossberg & Sons).

Edna is our resident Mossberg CS rep and she's ten kinds of AWESOME!

I bought a 464 ZMB and it came with a hammer extension and a round threaded piece together in a separate bag. I know where the hammer extension goes but what is the round treaded piece go? It’s about a half inch in diameter, a half inch wide and has threads on the inside and a knurled texture on the outside. Thanks!

BroganTDB said:
I bought a 464 ZMB and it came with a hammer extension and a round threaded piece together in a separate bag. I know where the hammer extension goes but what is the round treaded piece go? It’s about a half inch in diameter, a half inch wide and has threads on the inside and a knurled texture on the outside. Thanks!

I'd like to know the same thing!

They call me Sharpie.....I leave permanent marks baby!!!

Problem:Hammer is jammed in fully open cocked position with safety off. The lever operates smoothly and closes completely. Otherwise it is in as new condition,clean and lubed.Is there anything I can do myself to remove the block?

hayduke,

I wish I could help, but I don't own one of these rifles and have no personal experience with them. You might try sending a PM to member: andrew678122. He seems to have pretty good knowledge of the inner workings of the 464. Good luck and keep us posted...

hayduke,
The only obvious thing I can see that can cause that problem is the 'lever safety'. On my 464 if I don't close the lever fully it's as though the hammer is jammed. Try manually pushing the small piece right behind the trigger (not the part the lever presses on, the piece directly behind the trigger). That's part of the linkage for the 'lever safety'. If that doesn't do it it'll have to come apart.

If you're carefull, meticulous and have a good memory you might be able to do it yourself. I've had mine apart and it's not too bad, though the modern safety stuff makes it more complicated than it should be. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself then by all means see a gunsmith.
Andrew

Thank you.
The lever safety depresses all the way.
The weird thing is that it operated fine when I bought it ,very slightly used. I put it away in a sock.When I took it out of the sock,that extended the lever,and then the hammer was blocked in the open position.
I do not know anything about lever action,but I suppose I could take it apart,digitally photo each step,and take it to a gunsmith when I cant get it back together?

Hayduke,

I really hate to give you advice that may get you in trouble.

Have you taken any other guns apart? Do you work with (disassemble and reassemble) fairly complex mechanisms? If you can answer 'yes' to those questions and you are meticulous and can remember how to put things back together, you should do okay.

Pictures are a good idea, try and show how the pieces fit together.

But you have to be prepared to take it to a gunsmith if you run into trouble...

Andrew

One other thing to consider is that your manual states than any disassembly will void your factory warranty.

Just throwing it out there...

If it were still on warranty I would not even consider DIY,and probably shouldn't anyway, and I would still take it to a small town -type gunsmith if there were one nearby.

Hi all,
I bought a 464 in .22 last week. What a piece of trouble. Wouldn't chamber.Wouldn't extract. No warranty as I am probably the third owner in as many months. I had few other firearms to work on so didn't get to this for a couple of days. Checked things out on line including here and decided to do some maintenace and tuning on it. What a difference!! Had it to the range this AM and is it ever sweet. I could see sloppy work on the feed which I filed. Kept checking with dummy rounds until they would feed. Didn't want to go too far. Cleaned some old crud from action while I had it apart and oiled recommended parts. Did I say how sweet this is now? Very minor work that should have been checked at the factory.

Sorry folks; here I'm resurrecting a very old thread, but maybe someone can still help.

First, I'm not a hunter any more, but I've been target shooting since 1965 & a happy Mossberg .22 owner for 40 years now.

Recently I bought one of the Davidson's fancy silver .30-30 carbines with the marinecote finish and grey/black plywood stock. It's a lovely little gun too. I love the 3-dot fiber-optic sights too. This is my first lever gun ever.

This gun was more accurate than I expected for a shortie, but the action was a bit balky, and after running 70 rounds through it (Super-X, Hornaday Whitetail, Lever-revolution, Rem CoreLok in 150~170 grain) the action has gotten much worse. Three times I've sprayed the gun out with Rem oil & air, oiled it with Hoppes no. 9 & a dab of grease on strategic spots. Despite my efforts, this rifle just gets worse.

It will tend to lock up when the lever is pressed all the way open, and when closing the lever, it catches right as the lock bar comes up behind the bolt. If you jiggle the lever it always frees up and it feeds and shoots well. I'm pressed to send it back.

<edit> I worked with the 464 a lot last night & determined 5 things about this gun:

First, Davidson's is out of stock & I love this gun too much already, so I will fix it. It definitely needs more break-in, but I've improved it already.

Second, some of the Marinecote finish is sprayed into the top of the receiver. There's only a thin coat on the bolt, but a thick coat on the rails. This was part of my sticking and why it was getting worse. It was scraping up the excess coating. I scraped it all out with a soft metal scraper & the action improved.

Third, the hammer needs to seat better under the bolt when it cocks. It wasn't rubbing evenly, so I dressed the top corner of the hammer where it rubs the bolt. That improved the action too. I took off maybe 0.002" on the high side of the hammer. It's possible the bolt was off that 0.002", but I didn't want to dress the bolt.

4th, When the bolt is fully open, it doesn't have a lot of backspan into the receiver, and there's a lot of pressure on the underside from the hammer. That pressure deflects the bolt up. Try this: Open the action fully, and press down on the back end of the bolt firmly. It will move a lot and so will the hammer.
Anyhow, I think I want to reduce the hammer spring pressure when it's fully open. Maybe that will increase the lock time, but who cares on this gun?

5th Rem oil and Winchester oil are useless on this gun. It likes Deep Creep & a dab of grease on the rising block.

Oh, yes...
The action works better when there are cartridges in the gun! Just pumping the lever, without the mass of the bullets to lift, it goes a little out of time & catches on the 2nd or 3rd pump.
Then I must jiggle the lever.

I haven't removed the bolt, but I believe there's more coating under it which needs removal. As soon as I remove the bolt, the warranty is void, so someone please tell me that these guns are rock solid & I'll never need the warranty. :cool:

Back