• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 464 question on 30-30 rounds

Justjoe

.22LR
I'm getting my new 464 Monday and bought a couple boxes of plain old 170 round nose to give it a try.

I'm only hunting deer in NY and figure in the end worked for so many years why spend the money on anything else..opinions are always appreciated

If you are limited to factory ammo then I would use whatever you find that shoots the best out of your gun.

I found that the Remington Core-Loct rounds work the best out of my 30-06. I do reload but these work pretty good even compared to my reloads. The same brand shells do not shoot nearly as well out of my friends 30-30.

My point being that only you can determine what will work best with your gun, like fingerprints every barrel is a little different and you will have to find the round that matches yours. Some guns are more fickle than others when it comes to ammo..

I hear the Lever Revolution rounds are pretty good but I have no experience with them.

I would start with what you have then use that as a benchmark for improvement if you think the gun can do better.

Keep us posted.

Sorry I messed that up,I meant round nose and I'm in western ny..I've noticed the Hornady rounds but I like the thought of using the rifle the way it was designed.I hope I don't offend anyone but I'm not into the bigger is better outlook.I believe shot placement is more important

Title...spelling...meaning...all fixed

Please take your time tapping those letters out...I couldn't understand the meaning of your first post till you clarified it in the second.

Thank you...enjoy the forum !!

I still had trouble with that first post. I think a couple words went AWOL.

Anyhow so far my 464 likes Hornaday American Whitetails, and Lever revolution .

Remington Cor Lokt & Winchester Super-X not as well. Federals not good & Fusions would hardly cycle at all.

I find the shortest rounds fed the best and longer ones would lock up the gun.

The hammer action doesn't "break over" on this gun so there's lots of friction between hammer and bolt, and bolt to receiver, when the hammer gets cocked.

I had a savage 308 and used american whitetail..just thought I would get back to basics.. ill see how it shoots

Back