• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 464 spx rails

Justin870

Copper BB
Hey guys, I just bought a 464 spx 30-30 from a guy that hasn't been shot much. The problem with it is that the forestock is missing the side rails both the left and right side along with the Philip screws. From what I've read some people like them some don't I've looked all over the Internet to buy replacements with the screws but I haven't found anything. Figured I'd see if anybody was selling there's or know where to get them I called mossberg this morning and they no longer carry them.

Maybe but when I asked them about spares they said Mossberg was still servicing those, and they were not yet.

I was looking for a different part for the 464 (spare firing pin).

One of the guys here took his spx stock parts off & might still have them.

Frgood, Mossberg said they no longer carry the rails for the 464 spx since they went with the updated forestock. I'd much rather have the rails as a last resort I'll see if they will just sell me the updated forestock but even then she said she'd have to check with her supervisor and see if there even allowed too sell just the forestock.

A member named steamburn posted that he took his off. He might still have them.

Hmmm...he hasn't been around here for 2 years so probably a bust there.

Justin,
Found them: three rails, three rail protectors and all the screws, all inside a nice Thai food take out tray :)
Trade you for something you might have available, shooting related...I'm trying to put together a 10/22 and need the following:
Receiver
Trigger unit
Barrel

Anything else will consider.

Hi guys. I've recently purchased the Mossberg 464 SPX. Unfortunately, I got the model with the little dinky pica-tinny rail system up front. I was hoping to get the model with the full forearm rail system up front. Anybody know where I can purchase the older model forearm? I contacted Mossberg and they wont sell me the older style but said that it was just a simple swap "if I could find the older model". Any info is appreciated.

Blake25,
What you call the rinky dinky rail is a much better and practical rail than the older model.
The older model was clunky, rough and a big bother.
I took the rails off mine and bought an upper rail that mounts on top using the rear sight dovetail cut. That is a real and solid and practical mount for sights.
About the rear sight, I installed a Skinner Sight made specifically for the 464 SPX, and in combination with a taller front sight (also by Skinner), makes a great combination. Presently I have a red-dot mounted, but in case it fails, the Skinner Sight is there and ready to go.
In a following post I'll list the parts (I have to dig the information out).

This is an entry I made in this forum a few months back:

The 464 SPX has had some changes since I bought mine. In mine, the forend is wood painted in black with three picatinny rails screwed into it. I hated them, they were very uncomfortable, so I took them off and proceeded to mount a Scout Mount by XS sights. That is a very nice mount. You will love it.

Scout Mount:

http://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8517

I always install peep sight on my rifles as an insurance against scope or red dot malfunctions, so I installed a sight system that was higher than the scout rail. For that I chose the Skinner Winged Sight and I’m glad I did. The quality is superb and their service is beyond excellent.

Skinner Winged Sight:

http://www.skinnersights.com/mossberg_464_11.html

With the Winged sight I had to install also a taller front sight. The SPX requires a 3/8” (dovetail) and 0.75” high front sight. For this one you will have to tell Andy Larsson, the owner, that your 464 SPX needs a 0.75” high front sight, he will make you one, because I already went through the process of getting first one that was 0.60” high and it was not high enough, so he made me one 0.75” high which was a perfect fit.

http://www.skinnersights.com/front_sights_5.html

While I appreciate everybody's opinion on firearms and seeing all the different builds that people come up with, I bought this rifle with the intentions on using the full rail system. I don't feel that the rail system is uncomfortable, especially if you get rail covers. If you have no intentions of placing the older style system back onto your rifle, I would be interested in purchasing yours from you. As a matter of fact, if you want, I could send you the newer style one that came on mine so you can see if you like it. Either way, I am excited about this rifle and can't wait to get the build that I envision in my head. I will post pictures

Hi Blake,
Sold the rails and covers a few months back. Sorry.
Yes, I'm interested in the new style, but if you send it now you will be without a forearm. When, you finally get the rails, I'll buy the new type from you. I still have the black painted wooden forearm (that is where the rails screwed into), so if you get only the rails, that is OK, I'll send you the black forearm for you to complete your project.

Good luck.

Back