• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 .410 pump

Oldtimer

Copper BB
First of all this is the 3rd Mossberg I have had and every one has been excellent quality. My first real shotgun many years ago was a Mossberg 20 gauge bolt action. Anyway, I just bought a 500 .410 pump with the 24" ribbed barrel at an estate auction. I have searched the internet, emailed Mossberg customer service several weeks ago, but no answer, and I have searched this website and cannot find an answer to my questions. So I will ask them here. If this has been discussed before, just give me the thread and I will read it.
So my questions are:
1- Does Mossberg still make a slug barrel for the 500 .410?
2- If they do, is it rifled or smooth bore?
3- Can I order it from Mossberg or go through a dealer?
4- If there is no slug barrel for my .410, Can I have the full choke reamed to an improved cylinder, without weakening the end of the barrel and be dangerous? I know Mossberg does not recommend shooting slugs through a full choke.
5- If I have the barrel shortened to the first rib, will that open the bore enough to shoot slugs?
thank you and glad to be here.
Oldtimer

First Welcome to the Forums! I hope you enjoy your time here as everyone is pretty laid back and easy going. Plenty of knowledge going around too!! If I don't know something or say something incorrect, someone will come along and set it right :p

1) Not to my knowledge... If they do it is probably a special order item would take a few weeks to obtain.

2) Most likely smooth bore. I don't know of ANY .410 sabot ammo

3) Again, IF they do still manufacture/distribute the barrels probably have to order straight from the dealer.

4) Brenneke USA Slugs are fine through a fixed choke. Their design allows for the safe and accurate passage through the more restrictive choke. You can have the choke portion of the barrel opened to whatever less restrictive choke you would like, or even threaded for all the chokes available. (Gunsmithing and prices differ)

5)I wouldn't... just my thoughts right off the top of my head lol

Hope it helps!

Thanks. I will check into the Brenneke USA Slugs. I would rather keep the shotgun as is. I can do some small game hunting with it, but if I mess with the choke I will destroy any shot pattern it may have. Right now I am getting it set up as an additional home defense. I have a 9mm compact which is my primary home defense and it will be my ccw when IL gets their act together. I have some buckshot, and some PDX1 shells for the .410 now. If I can add some slugs to it, even better. I did find an old link that at one time Mossberg did produce an 18.5" slug barrel. Thanks again.

Well the barrel can be had if the model you own is meant to hold five 2-1/2 inch shells in the magazine tube (or four 3-inch shells in the mag tube) If that is the case order the security barrel from the O.F Mossberg factory (It's the same barrel from the Special purpose model # 50455,and should run about $66.00 or so)

It is a smoothbore barrel with a cylinder choke,said barrel gives excellent accuracy with slugs and does give good patterns with the '000' buck loads on the market.

Itsricmo said:
4) Brenneke USA Slugs are fine through a fixed choke. Their design allows for the safe and accurate passage through the more restrictive choke!
Was in Gander Moutain today and they had the Brenneke slugs in 2-1/2". From what the sales clerk said, that is the only size they make for the .410. Sure would like them to make some in 3". Anyway, picked up 6 boxes (all the money I had at the time). So with my PDX1 and buckshot, I am getting stocked up. There is a Mossberg dealer just 18 miles from where I live. If I don't hear from Mossberg in a couple more weeks, I am going to call him about a slug barrel or opening up the full choke. But now I want the Mossberg #27755, MVP Patrol .223 rifle. Would have enough from my tax refund to buy it, just have to convince the wife. Not any easy job. Great looking firearm, I love it. Do we ever have enough firearms - NO!

I am glad you found some .410 slugs quite easily! Don't worry about that extra 1/2"... So long you keep your head about you and keep shots where they count, size won't matter ;) It's not about how big it is but how you use it! Wait a second... :oops:

Goodluck getting one of those MVP Rifles! I bet they are going to be eaten up like the rest of AR Mag fed rifles across the nation....

Back