• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500/590 Aftermarket Stock OPTIONS

Re: 6 Pos Stock to hunt??

Good to have you here man and I hope the forum can be helpful!

Dan knows his stuff so the link should provide some good ideas for ya!

Re: Mossberg 500/590 Aftermarket Stock Buttstock OPTIONS CHO

I bought the 510 Mini Super Bantam in .410 for my girlfriend and I want to get her a different butt stock. I found one post on here and it said that any Moss 500 stock will fit the 20 gauge mini bantam, but still wondering if its the same for the smaller .410 Mini Super Bantam.

Also, thank you for all the information on this thread. Im pretty sure that every other possible question I could have has been answered. GREAT INFO.

It was my understanding that any 500 stock will fit but there will be some overhang due to the receiver being narrower.

If you know anyone that has a 500/590 in a different guage. The stocks are easily removable and you could do a quick test to confirm fit before orderring.

Hey folks, new guy here. I picked up a 500 Tactical Persuader the other day. Love the thing. Anyway, I like the ATI stock that's on it but I'm not crazy about the feel of the pistol grip. Has anyone found a grip sleeve that fit the pistol grip? I have an extra Hogue Handall here but the opening is too big for the top of the grip. I'll probably end up changing the stock to another ATI but would like to do something with the grip until I do. Might have to try some grip tape. I did order a Hogue Tamer (along with a few other accessories) to try on it.

There is the Handall and the Handall Jr….the Jr is what fites AR grips…..might try that. Another option might be shooting gloves if you don’t find anything that will work

Thanks. Nobody in town has the Jr but I'm going to check one out next time I'm by Bass Pro.

Recent 500 owner...started on a tactical build. I picked up a gen 1 knoxx blackhawk stock without the recoil reducing spring. I ran about 100 rounds through it for the first time and it slapped the hell out of my cheek. Thinking about switching to the ATI side folding 6 position. Im not too concerned about the shoulder recoil as I am about the cheek slap. Does the cheek pad help at all and does this stock tend to not have that issue?

thanks!!

It may be the way you are holding the shotgun causing you cheek slap; would you be able to take some video of you shooting? That way we might be able to help your issue without you having to buy a new stock.

I'm gonna have to agree with Dan here.

Try snugging the stock into your shoulder a bit tighter. Have you utilized the 'push/pull' method yet? (pulling the stock into your shoulder while simultaneously pushing forward on the forend) The technique really helps mitigate recoil. Also, make sure you're bending at the knees and leaning forward into the shot. Your body then becomes the recoil reduction mechanism and it should save your cheek some bruises.

thanks guys.. I have shot quite a few rounds through different shotguns throughout the years but it maybe operator error

here is a youtube link from a recent range day with some friends. I am the guy in black tshirt black hat far right.

I shoot at around 22 sec and again at the end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTl43lGc ... e=youtu.be

it was the first time for that guy tossing skeet .. haha

and yes I missed the hell out of my second clay at the end :-D

It may not be as much operator error as it is simply getting used to a new weapon and stock set-up. I occasionally hear about folks getting the cheek slap from the Knoxx stocks in both standard and recoil reducing models, but I run one on my 590 and have never experienced it myself. I do employ the stance and posturing techniques described in my earlier post.

I have read the same thats why I was asking. Do you run the recoil reducing version? and no cheek slap issue?

I think I may upgrade to the ATI talon foldable it seems like it has a better butt pad, plus cheek riser, and a better pistol grip.

Have any experience with the ATI?

thanks again

I do have the Knoxx recoil stock and have never had an issue with the cheek slap.

I don't have any experience with the ATI stocks, but there are several among our membership that do.

I really like the ATI stocks but I would choose the collapsible 6 position over the side folder.

I was thinking the ATI 6 position collapsible stock that also folds to the left of the receiver. Do you not recommend this one?

thanks guys

Yea I just prefer the non folding version. Have you looked at the reviews I posted of them?

Just checked them out.. it seems like if im going to buy a new stock I should go for the new ATI with Scorpion pads..

Great review ... I think I will just sell my Knoxx on Ebay

Its in my top 5 (ATI 6 position tactical talon, hogue 12", akita, blackhawk breachers grip, hogue pistol grip). I change the stock on my Mossberg 500 quite regularly.

Back