• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500/590 Aftermarket Stock OPTIONS

I have a 500 combo 12ga and the wood stock doesn't seem to fit as good as I would like. I looked at a 20ga Youth and I think the 12” LOP with a 1” Limb saver would be ideal for me. The other thing is the trigger angle of the stock seems to be way better on the Youth. The 12ga plastic stock seem to have a good trigger angle also.

Is there a stock for the 12ga that will give me the grip angle (closer to 90 degrees) and a 12”LOP that I'm looking for? Can the plastic stock be cut down that might work for me.

Not sure about the "trigger or grip angle" but a 20ga stock will fit a 12ga. It will be a smaller where it meets the receiver and will have a small lip.

Yes the plastic stock can be cut.

You could also check out the Hogue 12" stock.

Thanks everyone, I have more options then I thought. What size Limbsaver will fit a Hogue 12" stock?

From research it seems a small Limbsaver is what I need for the Hogue 12" stock.

Last edited:
The small slip-on will fit, but is unnecessary. The recoil pad that comes on the Hogue stock is evey bit as plush as the Limbsaver. It's awesome...

The small slip-on will fit, but is unnecessary. The recoil pad that comes on the Hogue stock is evey bit as plush as the Limbsaver. It's awesome...

This is very valid point. The recoil pads on the Hogue are amazing and really, the only reason to add a Limbsaver to the Houge would be if the LOP is too short and you need a little more. They do make a 13" LOP but the only place I've ever seen them is from AIMPRO but it is or has been about impossible to get through to them.

im sure this is like beating a dead horse over and over.
But I'd like to know what would be a good stock that can manage 3in 00 buck or 3in slugs with out killing your shoulder
I was looking at collapsible stocks such as ait which some like most hate Knoxx some people like some don't, Mesa and mako which are expensive but I hear good things some times hear the stock hit your cheek or pinch it or if you have the recoil reducing stocks it'll cause it to jam or not cycle like it should when you try to rapid fire or if you put a scope or higher sight you're head sits funny so it's harder to aim with it

And yes I know about the pistol grip you can't get to the safety as easy.

I'm debating to go for the more tactical stock or just stick with a fixed plastic or polymer stock with pistol grip so it's not 100-250+ spent and it comes back to bite me

Before you spend money on other stocks that may or may not work for you give it a try.

Works for a lot of people.:)

I'm kinda stuck in a bad spot because the 500 I got is pistol grip only no stock which I've never had any issues with my dad's shotgun that has a wooden stock non pistol grip my spas 12 takes recoil good but I can't use 3 in that only. 2 3/4 low and high brass that as the Polymer stock with pistol grip to do yea I'm used to the solid ones more so worried how the collapsible would work and are they worth it for at the range and or HD

If it was me I would try and pick up a used or cheaper stock for your 500 and see how it feels to ya.

JMO

The recoil pads on the Hogue stocks are awesome, but if all you have now is a pistol grip, you may be ok with a factory Mossberg stock as mentioned above.

Used polymer stocks can be found on Ebay cheap.

If you use a proper mount on your shoulder, even a 2x4 as a stock, won't hurt.

Primarily I shoot my shotguns ALL the time. I agree with the others here 100%. Get an inexpensive polymer or wood stock. Shoot it. If it does not work for you, you can always sell it and try something more expensive.

Back