• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500/590 Slip On Recoil Pads

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
Sometimes a simple solution may be the best, and quite possibly the least expensive, considering everything on the market in the way of AR/M4 type adjustable stocks and recoil buffer tubes.

I'm coming from an angle of the tang safety, being what it is, more easily accessed with a traditional stock. Heres the hitch. Mossberg's standard LOP is about 14", and on some models closer to 14 3/8". By the time a slip on recoil/decelerator pad is used youre at every bit of 15" and maybe more. I'm 5' 9" and dont have arms made for ape hangers. 15" isnt gonna work. So what do you do? You can switch to a bantam stock, thats a start, then the recoil issue can be addressed. I've recently been diagnosed as having arthritis in both shoulders and my breast bone. Its difficult for me to shoot all day and not then be out for the next 3. So I for one am def diggin the idea of a traditional stock, short LOP, with a decelerator pad. Or who knows, maybe you do have arms made for ape hangers and want a 15" LOP on a traditional stock!

Here are a couple of options;

Pachmayr Decelerator with patented, Pachmayr Speed-Mount insert.
http://www.pachmayr.com/deceleraton-slip.php

Limbsaver Slip-on Recoil Pads.
http://limbsaverproducts.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_6

I'll try to feature some of these as I'm able, and please feel free to make suggestions!

I have used LimbSavers in the past on various rifles but have yet to try out one on a shotgun. We will have to do some comparisons in the near future of the available options for Mossberg owners.

i too have some shoulder problems. was looking to get some type of recoil pad to lessen the impact. has anyone come across one that could be recommended ? i was looking at the shooters friend and the limb saver. any ideas? TY

I can recommend all the Limb Saver pads, super soft and takes the edge off.
I had a small slip on mounted on my 500 with the 12 inch lop Hogue. I say had because it fell off. It was awesome for range shooting and plinking in a rock pit but for real life stuff it was a pain in the ass to keep on the gun and 3” slugs would turn it sideways.

During elk season I was hitting some pretty thick brush that contained elk so I decided to leave my scoped rifle at camp and take some 3 inch mags into the brush and plug an elk. I discovered the slip on pad hanging a couple times and remounted it . All it took was getting into some animals and I totally forgot about it and it was gone……I left the original Hogue pad on and put the Limb Saver over it to gain 1 inch in lop and it fit me perfect but if I would have taken off the Hogue pad the Limb Saver would have been much more stable…..

Back