• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Bird Hunter Custom

S.R. Crawford

.270 WIN
I originally got into shotguns because the State of California restricts long gun sales to people under the age of 21. I think I was 18 when I bought this gun, I've had it for about 2 years now going on 3. It was originally a Mossberg 500 Field bought new from Bass Pro Shops in Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. I've always been a tinkerer so it wasn't going to remain stock indefinitely, however i only started putting money into it within the last month or so.

I got 5 doves with it last September.

IMG_20200901_065017.jpg

I had the chance to take it dove hunting for the first time last September. While at least 1,000 rounds through it on the trap range broke in the action nicely and dialed in point of aim, bushwhacking my way around the Colorado River in 100+ degree heat provided excellent R&D information that the trap range didn't. I approached this build with a hunting-oriented mindset.

Mine was the only Mossberg in the group. I don't know why I hang out with them.

IMG_20200901_135239.jpg

The first to go was the forend. The stock forend on the 500 Field is just a little too thin for my hand and the slick plastic doesn't handle sweat too well, the stippling is too shallow. By the end of the day my left wrist was sore from clamping down on the forend just while carrying it. I wasn't too fond of the look either. I ordered a Choate forend pistol grip from Midway USA and managed to snag a complete forend and slide tube assembly off Ebay for $35. I'm still getting used to the new shooting stance but carrying the gun is much more comfortable.

Next I ordered a Hivis green fiber optic front bead for ~$6. This is by far the best bang for the buck modification I have ever done to just about anything. While simple and cheap the sight picture is improved dramatically and the gun feels more natural to shoot.

Last I added an assortment of ammo carriers. I have two 5 shot velcro shotshell cards on this gun, one on the receiver and one on the stock pouch. The stock pouch holds an additional 6 rounds for a total of 16. The purpose behind this is to be able to wear minimal gear in he field if I want to. Anything I put on my body will tap heat and sweat, while it adds weight to the gun the less I have to wear the better. The added weight is distributed to the rear of the gun so it still points well. Furthermore, I can keep the gun stored in an excellent grab-and-go configuration. Even in the worst possible SHTF situation as long as I can grab my gun I'll have enough ammo to escape a zombie-ridden LA Basin, probably.

The sling is homemade from some nylon I had.

Here's the result:

IMG_20200916_100718.jpg

Let me know what y'all think. Cheers.

Last edited:
Back