• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Disassembly

Re: Disassembly and reassembly of a mossberg 500.

Wow...first time seeing this detailed writeup...well done !!

Thanks for posting...

One of my buddies said you can stomp on a Mossberg in the mud and never have it fail on you. He's the brother to the one I traded for the 835 that was in such poor condition. Maybe that was what happened to it to get all the scratches and busted trigger assembly. :D

One thing I didn't see you mention (or missed) is what tools are required. Any special ones, or is it a 'grab what you got and call it good' type of deal? I don't have any punches laying around, so what would you recommend in that department? I never really payed attention if my local gs sells small tool kits. I'll have to check that out, because I'm the kinda person that likes to have the right tools for the job.

Sn3aKyGuY said:
One thing I didn't see you mention (or missed) is what tools are required. Any special ones, or is it a 'grab what you got and call it good' type of deal? I don't have any punches laying around, so what would you recommend in that department? I never really payed attention if my local gs sells small tool kits. I'll have to check that out, because I'm the kinda person that likes to have the right tools for the job.

A small screw driver can be used as a punch. There is really no need to buy any special tools to breakdown a 500. Save your money for AMMO :D

nasa said:
One of my buddies said you can stomp on a Mossberg in the mud and never have it fail on you. He's the brother to the one I traded for the 835 that was in such poor condition. Maybe that was what happened to it to get all the scratches and busted trigger assembly. :D

When I looked at the first pic, it looked like non-skid on the side of the receiver and I was thinking to myself "does he use it as a tree stand or something?" :? :p then I realized it was Vel-Cro (I think), probably to attach a shell holder... :idea:

Thanks for posting the takedown, 911--I'll be sure to refer to it in the future!

Sorry about the delay in answering everyone's questions/comments. A death in the family has kept me away for an extended period of time. I will once again try and check in more often.
JB

larryh1108 . Try pushing the action rods towards the top of the gun. Sometimes the grove catches the receiver and stops the movement.

Thanks SHOOTER13.

nasa, while they are very durable , they will fail if abused. The mossberg's durability reminds me of the AK47's durability. They are very tuff to stop. Every time I see one fail, I tear them apart and find them full of sticks, corn stalks, weeds, etc.

Sn3aKyGuy, The only tools needed are a punch and a hammer. If you do not have a punch I would sugest grinding the point of a 16 penny nail off and using that as a punch.

Bobster, you are correct. That is velcro and it is used to attach the shell holder.

Mudinyeri, thank you.

Finally used this post today, and I have to tell you the pictures make it 100x easier than following the instruction manual if you've never tore down a shotgun before. The only difference in your procedure and the manual is the manual says to install the elevator first then install the bolt. I tried it both ways and it works just as well in either configuration. Thanks again!

Sn3aKyGuY said:
Finally used this post today, and I have to tell you the pictures make it 100x easier than following the instruction manual if you've never tore down a shotgun before. The only difference in your procedure and the manual is the manual says to install the elevator first then install the bolt. I tried it both ways and it works just as well in either configuration. Thanks again!

You're welcome Sn3. I don't think I ever red the procedure from the manual, :lol: . Glad the thread helped.

I have a pdf from the Army on detailed 500 and 590 takedown. Found it on the web. You can pay for it from a number of sources OR do a search for "13levelm500.pdf" and find it for free like I did. 2.4MB and 180 pages of wonderful documentation to supplement the pictures provided here. :D

Hi folks, just performed my first breakdown, cleaning and re-assembly. As I was removing the trigger group, my finger *just* brushed against the trigger. I wasn't sure if I released the trigger but didn't know how to check. Does the trigger assembly look different from the pics when the trigger is pulled (or if you happened to have it released before starting)? Luckily, I guess I didn't pull the trigger because everything went back together fine and checkout went without issue. But it made me thing, how WOULD I know if I had pulled the trigger, and what could I do about it (re-cock?).

Thanks all,
OB

atps1234 said:
Hi folks, just performed my first breakdown, cleaning and re-assembly. As I was removing the trigger group, my finger *just* brushed against the trigger. I wasn't sure if I released the trigger but didn't know how to check. Does the trigger assembly look different from the pics when the trigger is pulled (or if you happened to have it released before starting)? Luckily, I guess I didn't pull the trigger because everything went back together fine and checkout went without issue. But it made me thing, how WOULD I know if I had pulled the trigger, and what could I do about it (re-cock?).

Thanks all,
OB

Thanks to this awesome forum, I found the answer to my question above in a post titled "Mossberg 500 Armorer's Course" - search for that string here or you can find it at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGYR103iBnQ

Great stuff!
OB

atps1234 said:

Thanks all,
OB
If you pill the trigger, than the Hammer will be in the up position.
To reset it, just push it back down.

Not sure if the 500 trigger is like my 1100 trigger but on the 1100, releasing the hammer while not in the gun can BREAK parts (Dont ask me how I know this :oops: ). So be careful.

in refrence to the forearm. i am unable to remove the forearm from my 500at. i attempted to push the action rods everywhich way and no luck. Am i doing something wrong or does this model not allow the forearm to be removed?

[Click Here To See Image Full Size ]

LTB45

20g
Reputation point: 12
Give good reputation point to LTB45Give bad reputation point to LTB45

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:47 pm
The forearm NEVER slides out freely on any of my 4 500's.
The action bars have a spring steel tension bar on them at the tube end, that means, with the gun upside down, you need to push on them to get them out of the receiver.
Vice President
Connecticut Citizens
Defense League, Inc.
www.ccdl.us
QuoteReport this post

BigJohn

.22 LR
Reputation point: 0
Give good reputation point to BigJohnGive bad reputation point to BigJohn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:05 pm
Got it off. On older 500s the magazine tube must removed, and the forearm assembly comes off with it. This old gun has some very unique features, compared to newer guns. I will take some pictures later. I think it is an educational gun to see.

maybe this will help you.

Old post but I'll never forget this video.
One of the first nights after purchasing my Mossberg I had heard to take it apart and clean factory "crap" out. Mind you this was my first shotgun (and any gun for that matter) and I remember fiddling with this thing for hours, having so much trouble fitting the cartridge stops back in, I think thats what they're called. Evantually I gave up for the night and remember thinking I hope this isn't the night I should need to use it... living in North Philadelphia isnt all fun and games.
But anyway, the next day I woke up and found this video and it was truly a life saver.

I am glad the video was able to help get your Mossberg 500 back together.

Thank you for this info.I just purchased a 500 in .410 and the manual kind of confused me.This is my first shotgun (I have other firearms) and wasn't sure about tear down and reassembly.
Thanks again for some great info.

Yep I do that cleaning allot. I have had my Mossberg Persuader 20 Guage for about a year now and love it. It is the 50145 with the stand off breacher (I know I dont need it and it makes the barrel and inch and a half longer but I like it. And it would do some damage to ones parts as it is sharp. But then I didnt really need a heat shield or side saddle either. Really liking it and happy with the 20G so my wife can use it if needed heaven forbid. I do that cleaning about every other time I come back from the range. I know its over kill. In fact I have not been to the range in about two months (I gotta go!) and so I did it the other day just to lube it up again. I have it down to about a 15 min job and once you do it over and over you can do it in your sleep. Very easy. Other than ammo availability I am more than happy with the 20G for now. I am not a hunter so for HD and range time and just fun the 20G meets my needs plus with # 2 Buck its still gunna sting a bit I bet.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotgun ... shot/50145

Back