• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Firing Pin Spring Check

Whats up everybody. Just wanting to know if anyone knows how to tell if a Mossberg 500 firing pin spring is to stiff in a bolt. I've had a couple misfires and im concerned on what the cause might be. I am able to move mine but I have to put it on a hard surface and push the bolt down kinda hard. Is this normal? Thanks for the help!

Mossberg 500's are also know to have hammer spring problems also causing misfires.

Your firing pin spring sounds ok.

Thanks for the reply. Is there a way to know if hammer spring is bad? I replaced the forend with a factory tube slide assembly and checked to see if the hammer drops and it does, i can hear it go off. I've also heard of people using carb cleaner to clean the bolt and trigger assembly of powder and crud, does this work or is it just useless knowledge. Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Is there a way to know if hammer spring is bad? I replaced the forend with a factory tube slide assembly and checked to see if the hammer drops and it does, i can hear it go off. I've also heard of people using carb cleaner to clean the bolt and trigger assembly of powder and crud, does this work or is it just useless knowledge. Thanks

Wouldn't hurt to soak the bolt in a cleaner.

How old is the gun? If still under warranty Mossberg should fix it for you.

If so contact,

Joseph Zakher
jzakher@maverickarms.com

He has helped many members here.

The gun is not even a year old yet. The only reason why I might be hesitant on sending it to mossberg right now is that I haven't heard to many good things on their repair service, like they take to long or they will ship the gun back to you not really fixed but maybe just a bandaid fix. The only thing that I don't really understand is why would it go through a couple hundred shells and then cause failure the same time the POS forend did.

Last edited:
It is hard to diagnose these things over the wire, but I'll try. If you have to send it back CS is actually quite good.

Unfortunately the very stiff firing pin spring is normal and I don't think there is a problem there. Mossberg went from no spring, to a good spring and now a very stiff spring.

Anything is possible but I doubt the forend is the issue. I'd clean everything out and oil it good.

Remember that everything has a failure rate; 1-2 bad shells every 200-300 is normal.

Thanks blacksmith for the reply. The reason why I might have suspected the forend is because it had fallen apart pretty much the same time the misfires happened and I was thinking that maybe the bolt didn't go into full battery. The forend was like the ones that come on the mav 88s where there is no tube and just a plastic forend pinned to the two action bars, if that makes sense.

I had this issue and ordered a replacement spring from a third party. It is not as stiff as the one that came with my Mossberg and it fixed the issue.

I have fired 1000s of rounds with no misfires ever since. I think the new springs are way too stiff.

Something like this. It's not an official spring but it worked for me!

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mossberg-50...2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=706-127636-26712-0

Whats up everybody. Just wanting to know if anyone knows how to tell if a Mossberg 500 firing pin spring is to stiff in a bolt. I've had a couple misfires and im concerned on what the cause might be. I am able to move mine but I have to put it on a hard surface and push the bolt down kinda hard. Is this normal? Thanks for the help!

Some time after market parts are better upgrades from factory. Personally that's something I would only go with factory. $.02

I don't have the answer but I'm very interested in finding out. Any kind of misfire issue gives me High Anxiety. I have a Maverick 88, but since it has similarities to the 500, I'm interested in the firing pin issue along with the mag tube spring and follower.

Back