• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pistol Grip/Stock Detachable

ajandtone

Copper BB
Hello All,
I am a new owner of a Mossberg 500 and this is my first post.
I'm having a lot of trouble trying to find a pistol grip/ stock combo where the stock can easily be detached.
Since my main use of this shotgun will be home defense I'd like a grip that is better then the Flex system offered by Mossberg.
Even if there was a pistol grip out there that you can buy separately then later add the buffer/stock I'd even be interested in that.
I've found a few that somewhat meet this category but they're either to cheap or not exactly what I want.

Like This:
http://imgur.com/a/y0UpM
I like how on this one you can replace the stock attachment with a sling holder attachment.

The reason Im looking for something like this, I would think is not uncommon.
I want to be able to switch furniture or rather attach stock for range use (pistol grip/stock combo) then detach stock to just a pistol grip for home defense use.

AN NO
I'm not asking for your opinion on whether you think a pistol grip or stock is the best suited option for home.

Why am I having so much trouble finding this?

I'm just guessing that you're having a hard time finding that is because I don't know of anyone making one exactly like what you want.

There is always this if you're wanting something that has mostly aluminum components except for the AR15 grip and stock.

http://www.cavmfg.com/SST-590-AR15-Stock-Adapter-for-the-Mossberg-500-590-SST-590.htm

or

https://mesatactical.com/products/category/high-tube-telescoping-stock-adapters-and-conversion-kits/

You'd simply unscrew the AR15 buffer tube and it's a pistol grip shotgun. That would take maybe 15 seconds.

I don't think that's exactly what they had in mind when they made it, but if that's what you're looking for, may work.

While I'm thinking about it, I don't think anyone here is going to preach to you about whether pistol grips are or are not best suited for home either. This isn't one of those immature web forums where the average user age is 13 and their only life experience is in movies and video games. We are mostly all adults here and try to behave as such.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm just guessing that you're having a hard time finding that is because I don't know of anyone making one exactly like what you want.

There is always this if you're wanting something that has mostly aluminum components except for the AR15 grip and stock.

http://www.cavmfg.com/SST-590-AR15-Stock-Adapter-for-the-Mossberg-500-590-SST-590.htm

or

https://mesatactical.com/products/category/high-tube-telescoping-stock-adapters-and-conversion-kits/

You'd simply unscrew the AR15 buffer tube and it's a pistol grip shotgun. That would take maybe 15 seconds.

I don't think that's exactly what they had in mind when they made it, but if that's what you're looking for, may work.

While I'm thinking about it, I don't think anyone here is going to preach to you about whether pistol grips are or are not best suited for home either. This isn't one of those immature web forums where the average user age is 13 and their only life experience is in movies and video games. We are mostly all adults here and try to behave as such.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for your input.
So do most people just keep their same setup whether they take it to the range or keep it at home?
Or do people buy two separate set ups and convert each time for their specific use.
The real reason I'm so interested in this is because I want a high quality comfortable pistol grip for the main use of this shotgun, home defense. But when out on the range when I want more control and accuracy I want a stock that is (within minutes) attached.

Most folks just keep it the same all the time.

I'm not saying that's always the best for everyone, but that is what most people do.

If you have a stock, like say the ATI T3 for instance, you don't necessarily have to shoulder it and tuck it in underneath of your arm or the stock will come off if you don't want it there but it'll be about like what you linked in the original post.

You can also keep the buttstock tucked in underneath of your arm and still use it mainly like you would a pistol gripped scattergun. This also provides you with a little more control of the gun overall under recoil than if you didn't have a stock attached.

These videos are a little longer than some people want to watch, but they're both still pretty good videos for new folks.

My only comment here is that if you go to the range and practice with the gun in a different configuration than the one in which you will use it in an emergency, you won't shoot as well with it when an emergency arises

What they said... ^^^^

You will probably not want to shoot more than a couple/few rounds at the range with the pistol grip only. Perhaps you can bring the tools needed to change to a stock with you to the range. Consider replacing screws with allen or torx for easier removal with socket extensions, etc. With proper tools a stock change shouldn't take more than 5min.

The Flex system was designed with people like you in mind and they do make adapters to convert a non-Flex gun.

Welcome Aboard! :)

Last edited:
Here is what I did: Based on many comments on YouTube about felt recoil, based on my assessment of how you aim/shoot with pistol grip, and my envisioned way of using my shotgun (just bought one - not fired it, yet), I went with a Magpul SGA stock and Limbsaver pad that I will keep permanently on the SG, while swapping out barrels to do Trap (28") and home defense (18.5"). I intend to keep the SG configured for HD except when shooting Trap. I will train at my local indoor range with Slugs (required). Other than swapping barrels, I may put a Magpul MOE forend on and swap it for the OEM wood forend for Trap. I stayed away from Flex, which was my original thinking, because of the limited Flex stocks and forends. Not sure if this helps, but threw it out because I was somewhat thinking along your lines at first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an old thread but I read it anyway and was wondering if the OP ever solved his problem?

Ajandtone are you still out there?

The Mossberg flex system seems perfect for this.....

This is an old thread but I read it anyway and was wondering if the OP ever solved his problem?

Ajandtone are you still out there?

The Mossberg flex system seems perfect for this.....
I actually ended purchasing and installing the Hogue Pistol Grip for my 500. It is now a dedicated corner piece.
I was really satisfied with the purchase, I just needed to decide the main purpose of this shotgun and stick to it, which I did.

Thanks for following up!

Back