• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Customization and Modification

Re: Another 500 Build...

I was going to mention that but for some reason I thought the Mesa Sureshell Shotshell Ammunition Carrier with 4-1/2" Picatinny Optic Rail you listed was something that mounted using the trigger group pin.....like how the standard Mesa shell holder mounts. Well the drill and tap shouldn’t be too bad. How handy are you ?

It would but that Mesa rail is set up for Remington receivers, not Mossberg...

oli700 said:
I was going to mention that but for some reason I thought the Mesa Sureshell Shotshell Ammunition Carrier with 4-1/2" Picatinny Optic Rail you listed was something that mounted using the trigger group pin.....like how the standard Mesa shell holder mounts. Well the drill and tap shouldn’t be too bad. How handy are you ?

Right now I'm not very handy at all. I've had both thumb joints removed (Arthritis) I'm right handed and that was the last one done. I'm not completely healed up and haired over yet...But I do have handy people that work for me.

I guess my main concern is that the top of the receiver is finely ribbed. I would think that unless you had guides for the holes being drilled you would get a lot of bit travel???

~David

if you are unsure about drilling and tapping the receiver take it to a local gunsmith. he will have the knowledge and correct tools for doing the job. just my opinion. keep us posted.

I've seem some botched jobs. I should not be hard but a lot of people screw it up. I would take it somewhere unless you have the tools and knowledge to do it right. It can be done, just don't rush it and do your research.

I saw a video somewhere of a guy doing it and he put the receiver in drill press vice and drilled/tapped each hole before moving it to the next hole location. He would put the tap in the drill press and turn it by hand ensuring that the holes were threaded straight.

Re: The Mossberg 500 Pump Action Build Thread...

I pre ordered the ati halo sidesaddle yesterday for my pursuader. It's built like the mesa for the Remington

Re: Frank's 500 Build

Hey Guys,

Been away from home at work for the last month. Internet shopping hit again, and I came home to about a dozen boxes. What did I get??? Lets See.

Here is a picture of everything installed....Almost complete???

Here is the Mag Pul CTR stock with the new Mag Pul Extended Butt Pad, and the Sandstone Tactical Single/2 point paracord sling, GG&G QD Sling mount

Here is the New UTG Forend, Mag Pul AFG1, LaRue Tactical Hand Stops, Mag Pul covers, UTG Barrel Mount, and a Tactical Light

Attachments

• Mossy Tactical 500 1.jpg
    Mossy Tactical 500 1.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,206
  • Mossy Tactical 500 2.jpg
    Mossy Tactical 500 2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,207
  • Mossy Tactical 500 3.jpg
    Mossy Tactical 500 3.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,205

Another View of the new front end. Vang Comp 18 1/2 Barrel with VCS, Mepro Front Sight, GG&G Abi quick detach sling mount, with GG&G Sling Mount

Mesa Tactical 6 round Side Saddle, Sight Mark Sight on UTG Rail, Mag Pul covers, view of Forend, and a little more of the sling

View from the front showing new sight, barrel, tactical light, and forend

Attachments

• Mossy Tactical 500 4.jpg
    Mossy Tactical 500 4.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 1,205
  • Mossy Tactical 500 5.jpg
    Mossy Tactical 500 5.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,206
  • Mossy Tactical 500 6.jpg
    Mossy Tactical 500 6.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,205

Another View of the Sight Mark, and top Rail, Side Saddle, and Sling

UTG Sinper Grip, Cavalry Arms Safety

New Scabbard, this is the rifle version

Attachments

• Mossy Tactical 500 7.jpg
    Mossy Tactical 500 7.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1,200
  • Mossy Tactical 500 8.jpg
    Mossy Tactical 500 8.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,201
  • Mossy Tactical 500 9.jpg
    Mossy Tactical 500 9.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,200

Shotgun with all the goodies fits snuggly in the scabbard

View from the other side with (2) 24 round pouches

24 round pouches opened up, Some Winchester Military, Hornady Zombie, and Wolf Slugs

Also added but not pictured is a Wolf Magazine Spring, and a Vang Comp Stainless Steel Follower.

The scabbard is supose to be ambidextorous, and in some ways it is. If you are mounting it to something using the Pals/Molle straps it is right on the mark. However, the sling mounts only on the one side, making using the strap only right handed. Not an issue for the righties, however, I am a south paw. I might mess with it and see if I can sew some rings on the right (Correct) side.

Almost Done??? Well maybe.... I have a few more Ideas I would like to do.... but I would say at least 90%

Frank

Attachments

• Mossy Tactical 500 10.jpg
    Mossy Tactical 500 10.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,204
  • Mossy Tactical 500 11.jpg
    Mossy Tactical 500 11.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,204
  • Mossy Tactical 500 12.jpg
    Mossy Tactical 500 12.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,204

DSteagall said:
Two glitches and I haven't even started yet. As I stated I'm starting to receive parts but...

1). I ordered the wrong color AFG from Magpul. I need the black. Have you tried to contact them lately? Forget it. They are hammered and lines are jammed and email's may as well be junk mail. Good problem to have unless your the customer. I gotta get that changed.

2). The worse problem is that additional pictures that I've found of the Mesa Sureshell Shotshell Ammunition Carrier with 4-1/2" Picatinny Optic Rail 12-Gauge shows to have four holes in the Picatinny area that neither of my 500's have on top of the receiver. Do newer 500's have these or do I need to have a smith do them?

I submit these to the collective...

my receiver has 4 drilled/tapped bought it recently, although, based on other features on newer 500s, i don't think mine is the most recent version.

what, no barrel shroud/heat shield?

pfft!

:D

nice work, man. a lot of that stuff looks very familiar.

Free Man said:
what, no barrel shroud/heat shield?

Free Man,

Thanks! I personally dont like the look of the heat shields, so I have no plans to put one on. With the sling set up, I dont forsee me grabbing or holding a hot shotgun around the barrel area. However, if the need arises, I will be looking at them.

With all this in mind, at what point (how many rounds) does the barrel get hot, and a heat shield is nice?

Frank

It's -10 right now as I wait for my daughter's dance class to get over, I'd welcome that heat right now.

Oof

Nice setup!

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk 2

i guess it depends on what you're shooting and how fast you're blowing through it.

i was just kidding...it was about the only thing you didn't put on the gun!

tell me more about that paracord sling? link?? please and thank you.

and reading your thread makes me really feel sorry for some of you Americans.

i can't imagine not being able to walk into the FFL dealer like i did today, filling out a one page questionaire, paying the man, thanking him, and being on my way with the product.

i hope someday soon you guys get your freedom back. plenty of your parents and grandparents died to provide you with what your government is currently taking away.

the people that vote for these freedom-robbing statists are slapping those who served and died right in the face.

best of luck to you.

Back