• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Magazine Tubes

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
I want to add a tlr-1 light with CDM gear mounts but I have. Heat shield at the moment so in order to do so I need to get a magazine extension tube for my Mossber 500. I figured I would ask if any members on here had any input?

Re: What magazine extension tube to get for Mossberg 500?

I was just thinking about doing the same thing to mine. I am going to Mozilafox it and see what's out there.

You can look up Choat Machine and Tool.
http://www.riflestock.com/

Hmm, they wont let me copy and paste a pic from their site. I would use the link and call them, they have blued, matte black, and parkerized extensions, and would be the same folks Mossberg will refer you too.

For the CDM MT Clamp, do you have 1" of free space on the mag tube?

I have space on my magazine tube but not the barrel due to the heat shield. I guess it looks like I could use the 7 shot from Choate on my mossberg 500 with 18.5 barrel.

Ok, so I was just looking at the pics you have posted of your 500. (nicely done btw!) If you rack the action forward, how much space do you have between the forend and and the heat shield clamp? It looks like there is enough, but I'd have to measure the profile of what I have to see if it would get into the heat shield at all.

The heat shield clamp takes up nearly all the space in front of the foregrip when the action is racked forward. I am not sure there is any other options besides swapping out the 5 shots tube for a 7 shot tube.

Yeah, it sounds like that 2 shot extension may be the way to go. Another question though, the cap on the magazine tube, is it fixed to the retaining ring on the barrel?

I mention Choat, but not from experience. If anyone has experience with other brands/makers, by all means, throw it out there! :)

62837_597189814826_16501575_34720108_6459856_n.jpg

Oh, IC...

So I don't think I can even get a magazine extension tube now that I am looking at it. I might be able to mount the CDM gear mount over the knob in front of the tube.

magazine tube replacement

In the latest catalog I received from Midway USA, they have a whole page for Mossberg factory parts.

On the page, they have an 8 rd magazine tube for the Mossy 500 12ga listed for $29.99, and the spring is listed for around $4.

My question is...has anyone tried replacing their standard model 500 (4 or 5 rd) tube with the 8 rd tube? If so, what all is involved?

I figure for those prices, if it's do-able, I'm game - assuming it doesn't require a PHD or some uber-Ninja skills :lol:

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mr. E

Oh yeah - they now list the Nordic Components tubes and springs, too. $74.99 for all extension tubes, with spring and cap. According to their page - the same size tubes fit the model 930, model 500, and 935?

Re: magazine tube replacement

Since the barrel lug is fixed and can not be adjusted you are stuck with your 5 round tube unless you change the barrel out. Changing the magazine is not a difficult task but it can be on there tight the first time due to the loctite that is used from the factory.

I didn't replace a standard model mag tube, but I did take off the mag tube on an M500 Persuader to swap followers. I put the unloaded gun (less the barrel) in a vice, padded by some rags. I used channel lock pliers over a rag to protect the mag tube finish. I gripped the mag tube at the threaded end, and was able to work it loose with some effort. There was loctite on the threads, but I didn't need heat to loosen it.

John A. said:
You'd basically need something like this:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2512 ... HOTGUN_KIT

p_078000162_2.jpg

I considered it for a brief minute, until I remembered that as long as you have extra bullets and a spare hand, the existing 6 round tube will never run dry ;)

And RIGHT you Are, sir. Thank you for the link. After working my calculator fingers feverishly adding up the costs for parts and shipping - I'd be better off to buy a Persuader or a new 590 :lol:

Okay, so that's a bit over-exaggerated. But not by much. I figure a bit over $220 with the barrel, extension, and parts - w/o shipping. Plus my time, add time in to kick the proverbial pooch around when the Loctite doesn't cooperate, additional time to inflict a few blood blisters and stubbed toe after getting pinched while trying to get the original tube off :roll: Hmmmm...and I might still end up with a MUTT.

So after careful consideration and a few more cold ones - off to the drawing boards for plan #B. Thanks again for the feedback and links.

Mr. E

If you need 8 12 gauge rounds to down your target .... stop pissing off bears! :lol: On another note, it would be nice to have for target shooting. It really isn't that bad reloading a shotgun vs. handgun/rifle mags though. And if you want to hunt with it, you are restricted to 3 rounds in most areas anyways (for birds that is). Practical vs. TactiCool

mister_e said:
After working my calculator fingers feverishly adding up the costs for parts and shipping - I'd be better off to buy a Persuader or a new 590 :lol:

Okay, so that's a bit over-exaggerated. But not by much. I figure a bit over $220 with the barrel,
Mr. E

Bud's has a Maverick 20" for $200 or so inc. shipping. It would have all the parts you need. Maybe...

Local gunshop has same gun on special for same price plus tax and fees.

Magazaine Tube Plug Included?

This would be a really simple question to answer if I were home near my shotgun. :roll: I've just been invited to take a pheasant hunting trip over Thanksgiving weekend. I have a new Mossberg 500 Combo (54243) seen here:

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg ... /54243.jpg

My question is, does it include a plug to limit the capacity to 2+1 from the factory? I've not even had a chance to load it up yet to know if there is a plug or not. The website states capacity as 6, but I searched and saw some other Mossbergs have included a plug. If I have to go out and buy or make one, I'd rather be able to locate the parts in advance. Sorry if this is a stupid question. My only other real experience has been with my 590, and there's no plug for that beast! :lol: Thanks!

Kent

Back