• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Magazine Tubes

Re: Magazaine Tube Plug Included?

It should have a plug in it already.

Just unscrew the magazine cap and turn it upside down and shake...the wooden dowel should pop out. Then just re-insert...

Did you get this figured out?

The only model I have ever seen without the dowel is the 590, though I would guess this to be the case on other special purpose models like the maybe the 930 SPX, though I dont know for sure.

My 8 shot Persuader had the dowel in it...

Sorry I didn't follow back up. Yes, my 500 had a plug in it, limiting it to 2 - 3" shells in the magazine tube. I just wasn't sure as I've seen plugs advertised for so many shotguns (including the 500) that I wondered if maybe it was an optional piece.

Kent

I mentioned the 590's not having the dowel, my 590A1 was no exception. I got a 1/4 dowel rod from the hardware store (my little local store) for I think .70 cents. I put 2 shells in the magazine and fit the dowel to the magazine!

Moral of the story, if ever you dont have one and need it, buy a dowel from the hardware store!

I thought I had a pic of the dowel but I don't. I did measure one I had around and it is a 1/4" wood dowel 9" long with 1/16" x 1/4" ID square-cut o-rings about 2" in from each end.

My replacement 930 SPX came with one in the box from Mossberg, but in the manual; it clearly states the 930SPX does not include one.

Yep, its a quarter inch dowel! I didnt do the o rings on mine, just dropped it in the magazine.

Extended magazines don't come with the plug, standard length magazines do. Now whether it is installed in the magazine tube or not? They usually are, but check to make certain.

Gunner said:
Extended magazines don't come with the plug, standard length magazines do. Now whether it is installed in the magazine tube or not? They usually are, but check to make certain.

I actually had the dowel in my 500 Persuader 20" 7 rnd magazine limiting capacity to 2 + 1. Its several years old and dont know if that makes any difference or not?

I dunno? all I can say is thats odd?

The good news is that mossberg plugs are inexpensive and easy to install and simple to remove. Strictly speaking new guns, I've never gotten an extended magazine with a plug and never gotten a standard magazine without one and I've bought a few mossbergs over the years. Odd indeed!

I had no idea newer Mossys didnt include the plug, odd indeed! Mine had the "O" rings on it and everything...

If one would care to, a 1/4" dowel can be purchased from a hardware store along with the "O" rings. I did it in a pinch for hunting season.

Also wouldn't hurt to double check the length.

Local game warden worked on a guys 935 for 30 minutes because he "just knew" he could cram a third round in the magazine. it was close, but wouldn't go.
You shouldn't have that problem with the 500, but it doesn't hurt to check, especially if you dont use 3".

Good point. The way I did mine, I put 2, 2 3/4" shells in the magazine, then put the dowel in. I marked the dowel and gave a 1/4" more. Not enough for 2 3" shells, but just enough that the 2 3/4" arent tight goin in.

Fronty Owner said:
Also wouldn't hurt to double check the length.

Local game warden worked on a guys 935 for 30 minutes because he "just knew" he could cram a third round in the magazine. it was close, but wouldn't go.
You shouldn't have that problem with the 500, but it doesn't hurt to check, especially if you dont use 3".

I occasionally hunt a WMA and the season for upland game and waterfowl overlap. Water fowl reuires a pug and steel/notox shot, while upland game doesn't. Talk about thing that can get sketchy real quick. I just run with the plug and leave the duck alone but still it is up to the disgression of the GW as to what you are hunting or not.

Back