• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Magazine Tubes

Re: Magazaine Tube Plug Included?

Found this thread in a Google search. I'm most likely going dove hunting in the next few weeks and discovered I need a plug for my 590A1 (that I've had threaded for choke tubes). I'm a newb on pump shotguns, so bear with me. What are the o-rings for mentioned above for the 1/4" dowel? How do I install a 1/4" dowel in my magazine tube? How do I remove it?

I actually have some 1/4" dowel in my shop as well as some o-rings, just need to know how to make/install/remove the plug.

pix973237244.jpg

Remove the barrel and drop it down the magazine.

LTB45 said:

Thanks for the photo and info, LTB45! I need to remove the barrel? I was thinking I would need to just remove the magazine cap and drop it in that hole down the center of the spring or even remove the spring retainer if it won't fit through the hole.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 using Tapatalk 2.

srvctec said:
LTB45 said:

Thanks for the photo and info, LTB45! I need to remove the barrel? I was thinking I would need to just remove the magazine cap and drop it in that hole down the center of the spring or even remove the spring retainer if it won't fit through the hole.

I only own 500's. The barrel lug is the mag cap on them, so on the 500 the barrel needs to be removed.
I guess not on the 590.

LTB45 said:
srvctec said:
LTB45 said:

I only own 500's. The barrel lug is the mag cap on them, so on the 500 the barrel needs to be removed.
I guess not on the 590.

Oh okay, gotcha. Here's what I came up with for my 590A1. I cut a ¼" plastic rod I had laying around to the proper length and placed a rubber grommet on the end to suspend the plug from the spring retainer. Then just put the mag cap over it- works great.

photobucket-17792-1346206606820.jpg

Remember that it needs to be of a length to allow 2 shells and no more into the mag tube. 2 and a 1/2 is fine as long as a third shell will not fit.

LTB45 said:
Remember that it needs to be of a length to allow 2 shells and no more into the mag tube. 2 and a 1/2 is fine as long as a third shell will not fit.

Yep, that's exactly what I did for the length. It fits about 2¼ shells.

Sent from my Samsung GT 2 7.0 using Tapatalk 2.

Re: What magazine extension tube to get for Mossberg 500?

you need the 20" barrel if you want the 7 shot tube. or if you have the mossberg 500 with the 590 stuff you can get the tube extension from the 590.

thats the only way i know of extending the tube

Re: What magazine extension tube to get for Mossberg 500?

Well this has been discussed somewhere else in the forum (hunting it down) but we have come to an alternate conclusion to this problem:

Buy a 590 barrel (18.5") and 590 Magazine Tube (5 shot tube) and end cap... May also need to purchase the spring and follower but your 500 spring and follower should fit. Anyhow... VOILA! you now have a 500 receiver with the ability of the 590 to extend your load capacity! :)

NOTE: you could do the same thing with the 20" 590 barrel and 8 shot tube.. at which point you would need the new spring and follower (probably not the follower actually) unless you have the 7 shot 500 model.

DIY high visibility magazine follower

I started looking around for a high visibility follower and found a few plastic options that I've heard mixed reviews on and all the nice machined ones don't fit the 500....so, I started thinking....has anybody removed the stock one, sanded it down and hit it with some bright orange spray paint?

Re: DIY high visibility magazine follower

I would go for something like Cerakote, personally, but something like Krylon would work awesome! I would be afraid of some regular cheapo spray paint chipping and finding it's way into my action or chamber but that is me :p

I have used some of the rustoleum "hard hat" stuff on motorcycle parts and it is pretty tough. Maybe even just sand, prep and paint the flat contact surface versus the sides of the follower.

Just painting the front of the follower is a good idea. Minimal wear and tear on the paint and reduces the possibility of any paint chipping off. Rustoleum and Krylon both are good paints in a can! :p

Just less of a chance for something to screw up.

At least no worry over paint chips or clearances.

Iam with John and LES on this. With the replacement cost of a new follower is almost a no brainer. The factory follower is not the best. It can rust, bend, wear the tube, jam/ air lock with water or heavy oil. The delrin follower is quiter while loading, doesn't rust, has a thru hole for no oil or water lock, Also Clearance cuts to clear debris. Spray painting a follower is bad like others have stated. You are just asking for debris to jam your follower. I would suggest S&J hardwears follower. It is the best design out....I have used Nordics, Vang Comp, Choate, GG&G.

KentuckyWindage said:
......... I would suggest S&J hardwears follower. It is the best design out....I have used Nordics, Vang Comp, Choate, GG&G.

Gotta listen if KW recommends something........since if he didn't honestly like it he would just make one himself. LoL

I'm curious, has anyone had repeated problems with their followers, or is replacing this sort of a preference thing? Don't get me wrong, I love adding color to my guns :D, I'm just wondering if this would be a good "preemptive" upgrade.

Back