• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Magazine Tubes

old mossy said:
correct Gunny. either the screw or the tube end is probably cross threaded. big problem is getting the barrel off.
if he can keep outward pressure on the two,it should come apart.

Is this something that would be under warranty?

old mossy said:
,,,Gunny brought up a good point about the warrantee. (thanks Gunny)
you can send
Joe Zakher
jzakher@maverickarms.com
an email and see what he says about it.

i've owned the gun since March i believe. i can't really remember when i bought it but its been months and i never sent my warranty in so im pretty much F'ed on that one, or so says my buddy. i thought they had some kind of 3 year warranty on it or something. i don't know though.

also forgot to mention. it has a heat shield on it. theres a plastic piece that is in-between the barrel and the tube magazine. i don't know if that has anything to do with why i can't get the takedown screw out to get the barrel detached

ill try to post pictures of it, i don't know how imgur or any of that stuff works but ill try and figure it out, any tips on posting them would be awesome :) or a video

if you bought it new you should have a 10 year warrantee on it.
i would contact mossberg.

old mossy said:
if you bought it new you should have a 10 year warrantee on it.
i would contact mossberg.

All you need is proof of purchase. Credit card statement, receipt, etc.

From the Mossberg site: There's something wrong with my gun. What should I do?

If it's new out of the box, see your dealer, as it may be something that can easily be taken care of. Contact our service department to discuss any warranty questions or concerns, and if factory service is necessary, we will quickly provide it at our facility. For parts and service, our service department can be reached at: service@mossberg.com or (800) 363-3555

First, I am new to pump shoguns.
I have a 500 for a couple of years and wanted to start to use it more often so I was taking the barrel out for cleaning.
Noticed corrosion on the take down screw threads and the threads on the cartridge tube. Looks like grease with some corrosion like the prior owner may have put grease there after he saw corrosion.

I cleaned it with hoppes, gun oil, barrel nylon brush and patches. I think I got it all , maybe. Question is what can I do to make sure it does not corrode again? I can replace the screw for 25 bucks not not sure what is to do on tube threads.

Other Questions:
Is the cartridge tube removed by unscrewing (with hands?) the tube from the receiver?
What are those small screws on top of the receiver?
Does this shotgun use the wood dowel to limit the ammo count?

Attachments

• collage.jpg
    collage.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 206
don777a said:
First, I am new to pump shoguns.
I have a 500 for a couple of years and wanted to start to use it more often so I was taking the barrel out for cleaning.
Noticed corrosion on the take down screw threads and the threads on the cartridge tube. Looks like grease with some corrosion like the prior owner may have put grease there after he saw corrosion.

I cleaned it with hoppes, gun oil, barrel nylon brush and patches. I think I got it all , maybe. Question is what can I do to make sure it does not corrode again? I can replace the screw for 25 bucks not not sure what is to do on tube threads.

Other Questions:
Is the cartridge tube removed by unscrewing (with hands?) the tube from the receiver?
What are those small screws on top of the receiver?
Does this shotgun use the wood dowel to limit the ammo count?

Hello don. Welcome to the forum from NY.
Looks pretty good in the pics. I would soak it with some rust buster and brush it up good in a day or two. Then maybe keep some gun oill or WD40 on it.
The mag tube might be very tight. Most are put in with loctite. If you have trouble getting it off apply some heat from a heat gun on the receiver at the bottom.
Yes most 500's come from the factory with the wooden dowel.
Word of caution,when taking off the mag tube cap,be careful the spring dosen't hit you in the face.
The small screws on the receiver are for mounting a rail for a sight or scope.

Hope this helps

Also look more closely at the threads on you screw cause when red locktight gets old it has a tendency to look like rust

Someone may have locktighted it to keep it from loosening durring use

What Tazzy said, that "rust" looks suspiciously like very old loctite.

I could be wrong, but my thinking behind that is there was enough of it to fill up two threads, but it left the bluing on the screw unharmed once removed.

Removing the Mag Tube with heat takes patients!! lol
Don't expect it to happen fast and check it often using a towel in hand and some elbow grease :D
I was extremely weary of using a heat gun/torch at first but it was the only thing that was going to get the job done.

Will a heat gun generate enough heat to help loosen the Loctite on the receiver where the magazine tube threads in? I don't own one, but can borrow one from a buddy.

Yes Sir it will.

I've had to use my heat gun a couple times to get mag tubes to break loose. I usually set the receiver upside-down in a vise and apply heat to the inside of the tube through the loading port where it meets the receiver. If you have a strap wrench or one of those rubber jar opener things to get a good grip on the tube it helps a lot...

I've got one of those rubber strap wrenches, it has come in handy for oddball size oil filters in the past.
I might give it a try first before I put some heat on it.
Thanks for the info and suggestion!

Back