• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Photo Gallery

Re: Here she be! :D

saaayyy...you got some nice furniture thar. i like it....

:lol: Thanks. That coffee table, even though I hate tripping over that thing in the middle of the night, is pretty nice. Has a drawer where our son hides everything from candy to my keys.

finally, in my hands!

Picked up the 500a today. 28" accu-choke. The wood is stained so dark it almost looks black at first glance. looks good for its age i think. It was $155 out the door (inlcudes tax and back ground). Had $20 down to hold it so just paid $135 today. Came home late wovima wait til tomorrow to clean it. Dont know when i will get to test it out. Soon i hope.

Whent to walmart after dinner with the wife (gotta love the cheesecake factory) and got a 25 round box of winchester xpert shot size: 6 for when i hit the clays. Got two 5 round boxes of winchester super x. One is 00 buck. One is hollowpoint rifled slug. These are home defense. I like to have then in the mag in the mag in rotating order, buck first.

All are 2 3/4

Im noticing that even though it holds 5 in the tube, it can almost hold 6. Anyone ever try to have one 3" with 5 shorter ones to follow? just to have a little more punch for the first shot. I might go get the winchester super x 00 buck magnum (3") if this can be done. Wanted to see what you guys think.

I finally got ahold of mossberg at the right dept. This gun was made on 5/9/1988.

Another question... The pump handle jiggles quite a bit. Any fix for this? Seems to cycle fine, but still annoying. Also the safety is a PITA. Takes quite a bit of force to get it to move.

Heres the pics! The last is with my 702 plinkster.

13101855715652.jpg

13101856055183.jpg

13101856931836.jpg

13101856622315.jpg

Re: finally, in my hands!

Congratulations on your Mossberg 500A! Did it come with any spare chokes and if not do you know which one is installed on the barrel? I only ask because if you plan to shoot some slugs out of it you want nothing tighter than a modified but I personally suggest nothing tight than an improved cylinder. I know my Mossberg 500 will only fit 5 no matter what rounds I put in it. There is a tab bit of extra room but certainly not enough to get another shell in. Its great that you were able to track down the build date of your Mossberg 500A. Most Mossberg 500 will have jiggle to the front pump but it shouldn't be "loose". The loose tolerances are part of what make the Mossberg 500 such a reliable firearm. The safety should be smooth so you may have to strip down the receiver and lube everything up and make sure there is no rust or debris causing it to be stiff.

Man thats beautiful! Put a big ol smile on my face this mornin!!!

thanks guys!

DHonovich said:
Congratulations on your Mossberg 500A! Did it come with any spare chokes and if not do you know which one is installed on the barrel? I only ask because if you plan to shoot some slugs out of it you want nothing tighter than a modified but I personally suggest nothing tight than an improved cylinder. I know my Mossberg 500 will only fit 5 no matter what rounds I put in it. There is a tab bit of extra room but certainly not enough to get another shell in. Its great that you were able to track down the build date of your Mossberg 500A. Most Mossberg 500 will have jiggle to the front pump but it shouldn't be "loose". The loose tolerances are part of what make the Mossberg 500 such a reliable firearm. The safety should be smooth so you may have to strip down the receiver and lube everything up and make sure there is no rust or debris causing it to be stiff.

Not a clue about the choke. Its just whats in it. I need to order a set. I need one for clays amd one for the slugs at least.
It didnt come with anything. No case or chokes or locks...

Im going to clean it today and see about that safety as well. I hope the inside looks as good as the outside.

congrats on the new gun! nothing beats the feeling of having
a new firearm. the anticipation before the first trip to the range
is just as exciting as the wait to actually getting the gun.

Sometimes life really gets in the way! Friend called to see if i wanted to take the shotty out clay shooting today. But i jave to clean up the house because my parents a/c stopped working last night and they may need to come stay with me amd my wife for a day or two...

He wants to shoot the 500 becauae he is thinking about getting a used one he can completely redo for HD. And thats fine with me, he has a nice $2500 beretta o/u i'll "be forced" to shoot while he shoots mine! Lol. I refuse to shoot his remi.gton, the shells pop me almost every time they eject...

Maybe tomorrow or next week. *sigh*

Awesome lookin' firearm...and you're right, the wood is almost black.

...waiting on the range report... :cool:

Hawaii called ... they want their blanket back. :lol: Nice looking gun though. Now just to put some melons (water or other variety) out of their misery!

Sn3aKyGuY said:
Hawaii called ... they want their blanket back. :lol:

Well. I do live in florida, and would live on the beach if i had a million dollars or so.. lol

Edit:

Heading to clay shoot now. No idea what choke i have. Should be interesting.

So ... I just read the instructions (probably should of done that before pushing purchase). It says "Forends on the Maverick 88, the new Mossberg 500A, B and C and the new Mossberg 835 cannot be replaced because the action bars are attached to the forend." I'm about to head off to work so I'll try following the disassembly instructions when I get home tonight and see how it goes. Otherwise, it sounds like I may have to return this item and get just the stock. I'll give it a try, but doesn't sound promising.

Good info, thanks. I remember reading some where that this restriction only applies to the synthetic forends, and mine is wood. Soooo, I get off at 12:30 am and I'll find out then. Either way it'll be good info to have on the forum. If I have to switch tubes it'll give me a chance to submit a tutorial. Now to find that dang memory card for my camera.

Well, good news. Looks like what I'd read earlier about the wood forends was correct. Plus I got to strip down my gun and give it a good cleaning to boot. I'll probably set up the camcorder when I install the stock and forend just to show prospective buyers here how it all goes together. May ask one of you guys with a synthetic stock forend for some pictures of your setup though for my write up that way I can show readers the difference and what to look for to make sure this forend will work with there Mossy.

HooZAH! ATI stock and forend installed! I did have one issue though. They include a short tube and long tube adapter, neither fit right. I couldn't get the forend lug on with either of them on. It would only allow 2-3 layers of thread to be shown with the short tube adapter, and none with the long tube adapter. I took them off, put the lug on and it fit perfect. No excess movement or wiggle. Anyone else run into this on the 500? Love it .. gonna get some pictures up when I get a chance.

Back