• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Converting single action bar forend to dual bars

Hi, I'm new to this forum and Mossberg shotguns, having just picked up my first one yesterday. It's a really nice old 20 gauge that I'm going to turn into a home defense gun by cutting the barrel down to 18" , adding a Hogue 12" stock and forend and a trijicon front bead. The problem is, and I'm not really sure it's a problem at all, is that it only has a single action bar. After field stripping it and examining the inside of the receiver and the bolt carrier, it looks like all I would have to do is mill a small slot through the right side front of the receiver to match the one on the left that the existing action bar goes through. Then all I would need to do is replace the current single bar tube with a double bar one ( $25-$30). Has anyone done this? Given how smooth the current single bar setup is, is it even worth it?
The only reason I'm even considering it is to make the gun as reliable as possible in a high stress situation, and I don't like the thought that it might be somewhat inferior to the current double bar guns.

Thanks,
John

Re: Converting single action bar forend to dual bars

from what i can find online, theres never been a big issue with performance or durability of the single action bar. i would personally leave it as is, and if you're really concerned buy an extra tube as a back up. some of the guys on other forums were saying they have had their single action mavericks/mossys for over 20 years with no issues. hope this helps.

Difference between old and new style triggerguards

I have an "old style" 500 (western field actually), and surprise the ears on the trigger guard have gone.
Mossberg has only sent me 2 different "new style" trigger guards and needless to say I'm tired of dealing with them. The new style trigger guards have a angled reinforcement on the top edge of the ear they also may be in a slightly different position top to bottom.

So onto my question. What is the difference in the receiver from old to new style, focusing mainly on the ear locations?
On my receiver from bottom of the receiver to the slot is ~.150" the slot is ~.125" and the upper strip is ~.100"
mXkmQ

New foregrip problem.

So i got a 500a from my friend it is this same one.
mossy500FSC.jpg

I wanted to make it a home defense gun so for Christmas my gf bought me a new barrel (the 18 1/2 length one), a new fore grip, and a new stock. My problem is the fore grip we got off amazon HERE doesn't fit my slide action tube.I have found out that my 500a must have been made after 2008 so it has the 6 3/4 size action tube. Im wondering if i can use THIS instead of having to buy a 7 5/8 action tube. I really like the fore grip i got and would like it to fit on my gun somehow.
Thanks for any help. :D

Re: New foregrip problem.

based on what i read about it the extension nut should work, but some of the shotguns made after '08 had the forend pinned to the tube so they can't be removed. if thats the case you have to buy a new slide. i would make sure you could remove the forend beforehand to make sure it is not pinned.

I can take it all apart, i just have to unscrew the fore end nut and slide the action tube out of the wood fore grip that is on it now. I have heard that i may need to do some sanding or grinding on the ears that the fore end nut presses against to hold the actual fore grip cover on. I guess ill spend the 7$ and hope fore the best. One more question.. I bought a collapsible stock as well This one to be precise. I tried to take off my wood stock but couldn't loosen the main bolt that holds it on. (it has a socket head on it with a slit for a Flat head driver.) Any recommendations?

when they come from the factory they on EXTREMELY tight. when i took mine off the first time, i put the allen key in and had to tap it with a hammer a few times to break it loose. might try spraying a little wd-40 or some gun oil on it.

Thanks for the reply SGT. There's a lot of wisdom in the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

welcome from NY.

I have a Western Auto 20ga store brand Mossberg 500 manufactured by Mossberg in the mid 60's with a single action bar. I've been shooting this gun for almost 20 years and I got it used as a kid. I am yet to have a problem related to the single action bar. Show us some pics when you get it finished.

I have not heard of problems with the single bars.

For the amount of work it would take to modify your existing gun I would just get another one and leave this one as is.

When It comes to making modifications like that to the core functionality of a gun, I prefer to leave that to the professional gunsmiths.

But if you do pursue making the changes, I'd be curious to see your progress.

Mike, it really wouldn't take much work at all. Removing the mag tube and milling a small slot in the front of the receiver. I'm a machinist by trade and kind of a half-a**ed hobby gunsmith, so the labor is no problem. Heck, I'll be making a forend nut and sleeve to adapt the Hogue 12 ga forend to my 20, as well as a rotating sling stud for the magazine cap. But since not one person has reported an issue with the single bar, I'll take everyone's good advice and leave well enough alone. Thanks for your replies!

John

Lots of scatterguns only have 1 action bar.

Many of the more famous battlefield trench guns only had one as well.

There are only 2 ways to screw one up. Break the bar entirely or bend the bar. And by bending the action bar, means you'd have to physically twist the forend so badly that it could bend the bar.

I'm at a loss to imagine how that would be accomplished with normal, or even abnormal use.

And even if you had a gun with 2 bars, could still jam up the whole action if one of the bars were to break so realistically, having two may not be a great improvement over just one in that respect.

I've never had a problem with a single action bar. I'm willing to bet you won't either. I'd just leave it as is.

HeatShield/Rail System Help

I have a 500 Persuader with a 20" barrel.

I want to mount a laserlyte picatinny rail to my mag tube, but the stock heatshield's spacer prevents me from doing so. Can you advise if I am safe to shave down part of the front end of the heat shield spacer and have the remaining spacer but up against the rail to prevent slippage? (dont even know if the spacer would hit part of the rail(screws)

Am I better off completely cutting the spacer away and mounting the rail right up against the heat shield mount?

Any information would be helpful.

Thank you.

Attachments

• DSCF3098.jpg
    DSCF3098.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 171
Back