• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: Mossberg 500 malfunction

How old is the SG? Are there any issues with the trigger housing, like cracks or broken pieces near the front of the trigger group, Or does it move much?
I also agree you may have a spring or firing pin issue.
A little more info might be helpful.
Best of luck!

Enlarging or Relieving loading port

Hello all,

I have just gotten several used 5 shot Mod 500's in 12 and 20ga. Can an amatuer open up or otherwise enlarge the bottom loading port to facilitate faster, easier loading into the tube? At a minimum I'd like to smooth off the sharp edges which tend to scratch & rip my fingers...

Also any thoughts on replacing the original tube follower with one of the aftermarket hi-vizability ones?

Many thanks everyone and lets pray that our government gets it's head out of its butt soon and addresses criminal control not attack law abiding US Citizens... :roll:

Scott in Tampa

Re: Enlarging or Relieving loading port

Congrats on the new acquisitions!

Opening up the loading port is a relatively minor modification and one that will most certainly save your thumb from wear and tear. One of our members "RippSpeed" has performed this mod on his 930 JM Pro for competition...

My latest acquisition... 24" JM Pro 10 + 1 Pistol Grip

As far as the hi-viz follower goes I don't see that it's a necessity, but it's your call. Several folks here have installed them and are happy with their decision...

The gun is a couple of years old, but this is the first year it has been hunted with. I am thinking the issue must be with the trigger group because that is the only part that I haven't torn apart and checked. I am just not that familiar with them to know if anything is out of place. What should I be looking for? It fires fine the first time, so it must be something with the internals resetting the trigger group right?

Everything else is cleaned and properly lubed. There is no dimple in the primer on the second shell and the shell will fire fine if reloaded. The barrel is properly installed and the nut is tight.

Not sure if this helps diagnose the problem, but with the gun empty it will cycle fine by depressing the action lock lever to cycle the action without firing it. However if I dry-fire it, the action lock releases (as it should), but then it is very difficult to pull the slide back and cycle the action. In other words, it only binds up after firing.

It did this before I tore down, cleaned, and lubed everything. It was fine for 1 day and now it is bad again. It shouldn't need that much of a tear down after each day in the field.

TravisN,

Does sound like you narrowed it down to the trigger group. What it could be from there, I have no clue.

My recommendation is to give Mossberg a call and talk to a tech.

Frank

Rattling noise in new 500

Playing with the new toy (500 Persuader) at the kitchen table. While handling the gun I heard a noise like something loose inside the fore end, rattling when you tipped the gun up and down. Interesting. Followed the instructions and pulled the barrel off/out. Tipped the gun over and a small Dowel emerged. Attached to something inside, would not come all of the way out. What is it? Purpose? Supposed to be there or safe to remove it?

Re: Rattling noise in new 500

That is a mag shell restrictor. It limits the mag to only holding two shells. Some states limit how may shells are allowed when hunting some game birds.

No problem for any other use.

It has rubber o-rings towards each end to keep it from falling out. An easy pull should bring it out with no problem. Removing that dowel will give you full loading capacity.

This also found on Page 4 of the Owners Manual

500® and 535™ Models:

To remove the dowel, first remove the barrel. Point shotgun downward and shake it back and forth lightly until the dowel protrudes from the takedown screw hole in the end of the magazine tube. A rubber “O” ring on the dowel prevents it from falling out accidentally. Grasp the dowel and pull it completely out.

The 500 youth i bought a few months ago and you couldn't put any shells in the tube because the rod was so long

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.

Pretty much the same for the Youth Model

500® Bantam™ Model, Super Bantam 505™ Models:

This Model is supplied as a single shot. An extra long wooden dowel blocks magazine loading. After proper firearm training the dowel can and be removed to cut to 9” to comply with appropriate laws.

Thanks guys for the info on the wooden dowel. Removed it this morning with no problems. This is a pretty good forum to get info from. Now to wait for the dog and pony show today from the White House.

Retiredgijoe said:
Now to wait for the dog and pony show today from the White House.

You know some dogs and ponies are going to be offended during that show. :eek:

But welcome to the site. I've only been here a few months and have found a lot of good information here.

I've managed to learn quite a bit about my 500 and wrangle it into something a little more.......persuasive. :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_0614.jpg
    IMG_0614.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 285
Barrel finish question

Hey guys,
I have a question about the blue finish on a barrel I was looking to buy. I have the black parkerized finish on my 18'' 500 persuader. I found a good deal on a blue finished 28'' barrel but I just don't know if the blue would look strange.
Not really a big deal, just a minor cosmetic question I had, as long as the thing goes boom I'm not too worried. Just wondering if anybody mixes finishes and what it looks like. Thanks

Re: Barrel finish question

Personal Preference and a very minor issue IMHO. It wouldn't flow together like a barrel and receiver with the same finish but I doubt if it would be strikingly noticeable! If it is a good deal I would take it and just deal with a little cosmetic differences :)

bpwhelan said:
Hey guys,
I have a question about the blue finish on a barrel I was looking to buy. I have the black parkerized finish on my 18'' 500 persuader. I found a good deal on a blue finished 28'' barrel but I just don't know if the blue would look strange.
Not really a big deal, just a minor cosmetic question I had, as long as the thing goes boom I'm not too worried. Just wondering if anybody mixes finishes and what it looks like. Thanks

Bpwhelan,

You could always refinish the barrel, receiver, or the whole gun. There are many options out there, parkerizing, blueing, and paint/gun coats. Or just Rock It, as long as it gets the job done, right?

Frank

Frank Castle said:
"Or just Rock It, as long as it gets the job done, right?

Frank

This is what is most important to me. I plan on purchasing it and then having it refinished if I don't like it.

Thanks for the advice.

Re: Mossberg 500 Persuader star washer removal.

Can anyone tell me how to remove that original star washer? The one on the mag tube side of the barrel nut.

Update:
Nevermind. Uncle Mike's kit actually came with the spanner wrench. Made this switch very easy. (Guy at the gun store told me I would need to hammer out the original barrel nut???).

Back