• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: removing the flex adapter?

oh yeah,,,,,,welcome to MO.com from NY.

Re: New 500 won't fire

Thanks, I took the bolt out and soaked it in CLP after it wouldn't fire the first time I tried it. I couldn't see how to take the firing pin out. It looked like it was held in with a roll pin or something.

Everything cycles and locks up good and solid. The hammer seems to have plenty of power as far as I can tell.

Without seeing the gun your problem is hard to solve. Since it is new, I'm sorry to say you probably better get a hold of Mossberg. Let us know what it turned out to be and good luck

Whith the gun disassembled, if you push on the back of the firing pin can you see it protrude from the other side of the bolt?

Do you notice any difficulty in doing this, any catching or heavy resistence? Does the pin easily come back to its resting position?

If the gun is new it might be a good idea to contact Mossberg or a gunsmith.

It is very difficult to get the pin to protrude from the bolt face. The firing pin spring is super stiff. I am taking it apart now to make sure there isn't any defect on the firing pin.

ETA: OK, took it all apart. The pin slides back and forth fine, and there is no sign of binding. I did find a bit of a burr on the firing pin near the striker end, where the factory drove the firing pin retaining pin in. I smoothed that off, along with some burring on the inside of the piece on the bolt that the pin sits in.

My gut tells me that was the problem. Give it a try and let us know if that fixed it.

M500 Heat shield moving forward after shooting

Anyone else ever have their Heat shield moving forward after shooting for a while?
I have tightened the bejeezes out of it and after a good outing it still moves. I am wondering if this has happened to others, and what you did to resolve it.
Thanks

Re: M500 Heat shield moving forward after shooting

yeah I've had that. The factory HS comes with a trimable black plastic spacer that fills the gap between the HS and the barrel lug. The old ATI I had just needed to be tightened to the point it deformed the HS and then it stayed

oli700 said:
now point it out the backdoor and tell us if it fires

Or cut the top of the shell off, pour out the shot, remove the wad and dump out the powder. Insert the empty hull in the chamber and let the hammer fly.
I test fire shotguns in my home all the time like this.

JB

Well, no go. I even took the factory heat shield off to make sure the barrel was fitting tight. That wasn't the problem. So, I tried a different shell and it still didn't fire. Very slight primer strike, just barely there.

I got 2 of these, so will try the other one to see what the difference may be. I guess I could always swap out the trigger group and bolt as well. :cry:

Thanks for the ideas. On the positive side, I can now take apart the shotgun pretty easily.

I will call Mossberg and have them fix or replace it.

Thanks,
BB

If you swap out the bolt and TG do it one at a time. That way you can narrow down the options. I would start with the bolt first.

JB

Mossberg 500 question

Hi I am new here and have a newbie question I bought a mossberg 500 at local gun shop with an ATI folding and adjustable stock. But my question being how would I be able to tell if it is the regular mossberg 500 or the flex I was wanting to buy a new forend but it says flex only and wanted to make sure it would fit . Any answers would be helpful thank you for you time and sorry for the newb question

Re: Mossberg 500 question

welcome from NY.
the flex system your stock will come off without any tools. the regular stock system you need a wrench or screw driver. the pic is of the flex system. hope this helps.

Attachments

• mossberg-flex.jpg
    mossberg-flex.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 287

welcome to the forum Alec.

i don't know much about the flex other than it's an interesting concept. i have a brand new ATI Talon forend with rails for sale $25 shipped if it will work on your flex. here is a link to my ad

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6202

enjoy your new 500!!!

Alec,

Do you happen to have the model number of your 500? It'll be a five digit number "5XXXX" on the end of the factory box. If you can post that number we can tell you if you have a Flex model or not...

Welcome to the Forum from Central PA! :D

There seems to be a lot of confusion on what is the FLEX and what is a regular 500. Mossberg must not be doing their part or the Gun Shops to advertise and distinguish the two as different models entirely and not just a newer model year.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Alec,

Do you happen to have the model number of your 500? It'll be a five digit number "5XXXX" on the end of the factory box. If you can post that number we can tell you if you have a Flex model or not...

I think it is 50578
It a persuader 20" barel

Ok, the model 50578 is definitely NOT a Flex model.

Looks like you'll need to find another forend...

Back