• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Side Saddle/Shotshell Holder Options

Re: Mossberg 500 forend hitting side saddle

Good info, thx for posting it. This is one reason I chose the shot shell card with Velcro. I also like that I can rip it off and put on a full one. I made these using ESSTAC 7 rd shot shell cards & industrial Velcro from Walmart.

IMG_0582.jpg

So I finally got my Choate forend today, and they sent me the 02-02-02 forend, which is not what I ordered. Should I try to fit this (will it even fit?) or do I need to send it back?

Never mind, I tried fitting it finally, and it doesnt fit. I'll be selling my TacStar saddle and trying to return the Choate forend.

COFirefighter said:
So I finally got my Choate forend today, and they sent me the 02-02-02 forend, which is not what I ordered. Should I try to fit this (will it even fit?) or do I need to send it back?

It needs to go back probably. Never hurts to try. They are not that hard to put on.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

Why sell the tacstar just get the right for end? It tells you the number on their sight. There are other places that sell them as well.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

Another forend option so as not to overlap the receiver (or the shell holder) is the Ergo railed forend.

But LES' recommendation of just drilling a new hole in the shell holder is probably the best advice I have seen to be able to keep whichever forend you want to use.

^ Thanks for the honorable mention John!

I've always been one for the quick and easy fix whenever possible. Here's a pic of my TacStar mod for reference...

All I had to do was drill a second hole 1/2" (center to center) inside the existing hole at the rear of the base plate. Drilling it slightly smaller than the others will eliminate the need for a nut to secure the screw. There is now plenty of room for clearance in the action using my aftermarket forend. I've fired several hundred rounds through this 590 and have had no movement in the TacStar at all. The whole process took less than five minutes...

I have 500 .410 pistol grip Cruiser. Do they happen to make a shell holder for that model, whether it's on the receiver or butt stock (I was thinking of putting a buttstock on it anyway) but do they make either one? I know accessories are hard to come by for this model)

Lain

I just got done with a short session with The Mesa Tactical 4 round Sureshot on and I liked it fine. It is made of billet aluminum and has a piece of rubber tubing running the length of the holder to add friction and some tension to hold the shells in. It held them great and releases them smooth. It came with two choices of tubing, soft and firm. I preferred the firm as it holds my reloaded slugs better . Mounting was easy and the fit is excellent…..little on the pricy side but this part it above average for sure, they make them in 6 and 8 shot as well.
IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0995.jpg

I put a Hogue short LOP stock on mine today and was going to order a side saddle from 3gungear. I've got one of the slings with shotshell loops that I never use and thought I'd try to make one. I cut a section with loops off the sling, used some industrial strength velcro and a piece of paracord to make it. It's not as nice as one from 3gun but it works pretty well. I made three 5 slot 'cards' out of the sling.

My camera died but here's a couple crappy cell pics.
2012-08-29_18-31-53_933.jpg

2012-08-29_18-28-42_690.jpg

I have the same sling! That is an awesome idea! I wonder how hard it would be to make a MOLLE card to attach to a vest!

It's not too hard at all. I attached three of the Esstac cards to my shotgun rig...

All I had to do was fix velcro loop strips to the outer surface of the M4 mag pouch covers...

LES... you are just an all around awesome dude! You get s**t done and than put a Kimber on it! haha At least I think that is a Kimber :)

I will have to put something together to make this happen with my vest! It is all shotgun so no pistol pouches/holster or M4 pouches.. My little chestrig :D

Ha, thank you Sir.

Looking forward to seeing what you put together.

...Oh, and the 1911 is an STI Spartan 9mm...

Back