• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Side Saddle/Shotshell Holder Options

No worries .. my screen name just does not allude to my gender, so that happens frequently.

Anyways .. no ONE system works 100% for EVERYBODY, and thankfully there are many options. Just not fair too product to blanket the reliability because where you live .. in the desert. Most people do not, and are never subjected to such temperatures (even though this product is used there without any issues that I am aware of) Nor do most people leave their weapons for hours on end in a vehicle subjected to such temps as well. So lets be fair on this. Everyone has to figure what conditions they will most likely be facing and decide from there which platform will best suit them.

kris7047th said:
no ONE system works 100% for EVERYBODY, and thankfully there are many options.
That’s fair and where I was actually going till you got just a touch defensive on me.

kris7047th said:
Just not fair too product to blanket the reliability because where you live .. in the desert. Most people do not, and are never subjected to such temperatures (even though this product is used there without any issues that I am aware of)

Technically I live in a Pacific temperate rain forest that ranges between 1500 and 9000 feet in elevation and breaks into valleys filled with pine oak savanna…...I have to cross the Cascades to get to the desert, a high desert. In the summer it is 85 to 100 regularly with week runs of 100+ not being uncommon and in the winter it decides to rain and snow for 7 months straight.

kris7047th said:
Nor do most people leave their weapons for hours on end in a vehicle subjected to such temps as well.
what do you base this finding on and who are most people? your range friends ?......Most people here are armed 24/7

I go off hunting for a couple days and all hell breaks loose. :D

I put a 3-gun gear side saddle on my 870. I was a bit hesitant but have not had a problem yet. I've not left it in my car for any length of time, not has it been exposed to high temps for extended periods.

I've tried mounting stuff to the dash and my truck using velcro, etc and it never ends well. Even in MI, leaving it parked in the sun all day generates temps that seem to melt any type of adhesive I've tried to use. The last one, a small CB left adhesive slime all the way down may dash as it slid off it's perch to a the valley behind the display console.

I know a lot of people that use RCS gear and I have heard very little complaints aside from the wait time. I've met Steve and Keith from Kris's post below; they both take great pleasure in torturing their gear in every way possible. I have to say I agree with their philospohy that you don't truly know the limits of your equipment until you push it to failure.

Just my personal experience, take it for what it's worth.

MikeD said:

I put a 3-gun gear side saddle on my 870. I was a bit hesitant but have not had a problem yet. I've not left it in my car for any length of time, not has it been exposed to high temps for extended periods.

I've tried mounting stuff to the dash and my truck using velcro, etc and it never ends well. Even in MI, leaving it parked in the sun all day generates temps that seem to melt any type of adhesive I've tried to use. The last one, a small CB left adhesive slime all the way down may dash as it slid off it's perch to a the valley behind the display console.

I know a lot of people that use RCS gear and I have heard very little complaints aside from the wait time. I've met Steve and Keith from Kris's post below; they both take great pleasure in torturing their gear in every way possible. I have to say I agree with their philospohy that you don't truly know the limits of your equipment until you push it to failure.

Just my personal experience, take it for what it's worth.

lol .. And that is putting it mildly. I just ordered another set for the new 500. They offer the *Quick Ship* so I should have it this week.

@ Mike .. did you bring home some meat?

I still give my 6 Shot Mesa Tactical Saddle a +1 vote :)
But simply because I DO leave my gun in my vehicle now during the summer, and it gets hot in a vehicle. Also, I hunt with this firearm as well in the winter and it get mighty chilly outside in PA haha... The plastic would not have worked not the Velcro for me. Putting it simply: Each individual must look at what situations and environments are to be met and dealt with throughout the use of the gear being used. The questions you must then ask yourself is: Can my gear withstand those (however punishing) situations and can my gear handle those (however high or lower, wet or dry) environments??

Just my $0.02

P.s. - I have considered the RCS systems, simply because they would be really easy to integrate onto a vest platform for a shotgun operator.

kris7047th said:
lol .. And that is putting it mildly. I just ordered another set for the new 500. They offer the *Quick Ship* so I should have it this week.

@ Mike .. did you bring home some meat?

I was actually a little bummed at the end of HG-1 that Steve didn't offer to let us continue his torture test of the the M&P. :lol: :lol: I'd seen the vids from some of the other classes.

I'm still working on it. I saw 8 deer including an 8 point but no shots yet.

I haven't seen any this year other than on the trail cam. (1) 9pt, (5) 6pt and a few Spikes/3pt buck in various locations... But nothing in person so far.. :(

MikeD said:
naw, your friend is just a little touchy about her gear choice.

MikeD said:
I've met Steve and Keith from Kris's post below; they both take great pleasure in torturing their gear in every way possible.

How so exactly ?

oli700 said:
MikeD said:
I've met Steve and Keith from Kris's post below; they both take great pleasure in torturing their gear in every way possible.

How so exactly ?

Running 25-30K+ rounds through handguns/AR's w/o cleaning, just lube. Steve had a torture test he would do at the end of each class. Anyone that wanted to could run as many rounds as they wanted through his M&P, as long as you supplied the ammo. At last I heard he was at somewhere around 30K rounds. Dropping guns in the mud and dirt and continue to push then til they failed (if they failed), pretty much anything you can imagine that would make most gun owners cringe. Keith is the same way, none of his guns that I have seen are clean, they are all dirty, have the finishes wore off, etc. I wouldn't say they abuse it to the point of being stupid, but they don't baby their gear at all. The same goes for holsters, lights, anything else they use.

If I had the money pouring in like those gentlemen do, I could stomach to beat the living hell out of everything I own as well. BUT I don't so my firearms cherished and "properly" maintained, not abused haha

Itsricmo said:
If I had the money pouring in like those gentlemen do, I could stomach to beat the living hell out of everything I own as well. BUT I don't so my firearms cherished and "properly" maintained, not abused haha

I'm sure Steve is doing OK now that he is with Magpul but I don't think either of these guys had money pouring in, they just love shooting and training so all of their resources go towards that end.

No Mike, they are not rich, but Steve is doing much better after heading up Magpul Dynamics, replacing Chris Costa who decided to venture out on his own .. Ludus out of Florida. Steve and Chris are good friends, as you know another close bud of Steve's, Doug Holloway owner of ATEiguns.com is doing a venture with Costa .. his vision of the perfect M&P FS .. cost of the highly modified gun is $1,500. Wish I could afford one .. a limited edition that sold out in a hour once offered to the public.

People .. these guys are doing YOU a favor when they torture products to test the reliability. That $ave$ you $$$ and quite possibly your life determining what NOT to buy and what you very well can trust your life with. You would be surprised how much feedback goes back to companies from these guys at that tier training level for improvements that we benefit. No doubt a lot of this takes place at SHOT Shows which Steve always attend. Steve is close friends of the owner of RCS, and very close to another guy originally from Michigan now working there. These guys really push the shotgun as a perfect choice for defense, training classes for LEO and civilians too. The shotgun is Steve's preference for HD with the AR15 right behind. Notice in the vids that I posted you won't see the pistol grip .. the way they run them, it gets in the way and is unnecessary, adds weight. Better to have a light mounted in the forend if possible, and shell carrier that won't break under any conditions. Steve told me awhile back that some things were learned from Katrina rioting that the LEO'S took notice .. the crowds did not respond to AR's but when they brought out the shotguns .. that got their attentions much faster for dispersal. After that these trainers developed methods of running the shotgun as a viable platform to rival the AR in a fight.

When I bought my first gun just a little over three 1/2 years ago .. just three years ago I met Steve for the very first time with my newly purchased 500, my first long gun. He emailed me to offer to meet with me to teach me how to shoot it for (my very first time) on his dime and HIS time .. FREE at my range. He wanted nothing in return. This is how he is and has met with MANY people to help them because he truly cares. We have continued to be friends. I have always listened and taken to his advice which has helped me to *catch up* so to speak because I did not grow up in a family with guns of any type.

I wish I could afford an AR or high end AK... Actually probably would rather an Arsenal AK with some mods over the AR... Anyhow, these guys are doing A LOT better than me haha

We're straying furthur off topic here, perhaps we can carry this discussion over to a new thread.

Great idea Mike,

Might I suggest the "Tactical and Home Defense" sub-forum. That's a much more suitable stage for debate on theory and practices than a thread intended to help members with their side saddle options...

I'll pass. It was sort of an inside joke that Mike should get. Anyways .. he's right, back on topic.

To each their own. I will stick with the RCS/ARES Moduloader system, just ordered another system yesterday online, and already heard from RCS on the Quick Ship to set up my new Moss 500.

ATI Halo Side Saddle with Add-A-Shell

Announcing the the ATI Halo Side Saddle with Add-A-Shell for the Mossberg 500 & 590!

Put the aluminum Add-A-Shell shotgun shell holders in any location you desire for the task at hand.

The Side Saddle, Add-A-Shell Shotgun Shell Holders, & 6" Top Rail are all made from Military Type III anodized, 6061 T6 Aluminum.

View the full catalog page on it here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

What do you guys think?!

Attachments

• side_saddle_main.jpg
    side_saddle_main.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 882
Back