• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

mossberg 500

fuzzyman0423

Copper BB
i just got my first mossberg iam having trouble already i bought field combo and took off field barrel and put on the slug barrel because thats what i will use first and so i was going to the range today just to put 3 or 4 slugs thur it when i got there the magazine tube would only hold one shell and the other i put in almost goes but i dont what to force it does anyone what to do

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum! There is a wooden dowel in the magazine that is limiting the amount of rounds you can put in the shotgun. Once you remove the wooden dowel you should be able to put 4 rounds in the magazine and 1 in the chamber.

Glad to have you on Mossberg Owners, Welcome aboard man!

The short answer is YES! We do know!

Unscrew the barrel again and remove it. Turn the gun so the magazine tube is facing the floor then shake it up and down gently. There is a wooden dowel rod in there preventing you from being able to load the magazine to capacity and so it complies with most states hunting regulations which limit you to 3 shells.

Get the dowel out and put it back together, and try again! What size shells are you using?

iam using 3 inch winchester xp3 i cant take the wooden dowl out against the law where iam it must stay in game warden will check to make sure its in there iam using it for deer hunting it should already hold 2 in the mag but i cant get 2 in there did i do something wrong puting the other barrel on

Ah yes, def leave it in while hunting, but switch to the 2 3/4" shells, then you'll get the 2 in the magazine with one round chambered! ;)

Yeah, Absolutely! Thats way easier than buying more shells!

i have a new place to hunt but they are tough about rules so they said bow and shot guns only so i bought a new mossberg 500 and bought a new nikon 3x9x40 slughunter to put on it ok back to the first ques does all mossberg 500 only hold 1 3inch in the magizine and 1 in the chamber with the plug in it

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum fuzzyman0423 !!

2 3/4" shells will do the trick... ;)

Cut 9/16 inch from the dowel and it should work where you can load two 3 inch rounds in the magazine and still keep you from loading three 2-3/4 rounds into the magazine. If you do not want to mess up the dowel that you have go to a Hobby Lobby, Home Depot or Lowe's and get a dowel the same diameter and cut it to size.

In Texas the 3 round limit is only when shooting migratory birds.

Yup! Its a half inch difference, so I agree on the 9/16"! The three rounds here applies to deer and migratory birds, but not upland birds.

Howdy fuzzyman0423, and welcome to the club!

Back