• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 535 ATS Pump Action Troubleshooting

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
Any issues, concerns or problems you may have with your mossberg 535 ATS pump action; this is a thread for troubleshooting.

Bought a new 535 ATS and I have the ongoing problem of shells of different sizes jamming during the cycling process...Will this eventually work itself out? I have owned a Winchester pump-action for 20 years and have never had this problem with it.

This doesnt sound normal, not at all something that just needs to be "smoothed out". How are they jamming exactly? What part of cycling the action? Have you cleaned the gun yet?

Rossignol said:
This doesnt sound normal, not at all something that just needs to be "smoothed out". How are they jamming exactly? What part of cycling the action? Have you cleaned the gun yet?

Generally, the loaded shell that is in the magazine will jam with the exiting spent shell as the pump is being cycled. As well, sometimes the breach is very hard to open after you fire a shell. This doesn't happen all the the time but enough to be a bother. Yes, I have kept the gun clean. Thanks...

Ok, I have had the same feeling sometimes with my 590, when the action feels a little "stuck" after firing. The only time I have had a jam similar to what youre describing is when I have short stroked a gun, and I certainly dont mean to imply this is what youre doing, just that I'm trying to replicate what youre saying. When cleaning, have you broken the gun all the way down? Pulled the trigger, bolt slide, shell elevator and all, as well as the cartridge interupter, n stuff? Wonderin if its possible something isnt lined up quite right? It almost has to be before it all goes back together though... but if the shell lifter isnt on track because of the bolt slide maybe? I dunno, just brain storming here. Have you regreased the hard to get to stuff in the receiver? Will it do it if you cycle the action slowly so you can see just whats happenin?

Rossignol said:
Ok, I have had the same feeling sometimes with my 590, when the action feels a little "stuck" after firing. The only time I have had a jam similar to what youre describing is when I have short stroked a gun, and I certainly dont mean to imply this is what youre doing, just that I'm trying to replicate what youre saying. When cleaning, have you broken the gun all the way down? Pulled the trigger, bolt slide, shell elevator and all, as well as the cartridge interupter, n stuff? Wonderin if its possible something isnt lined up quite right? It almost has to be before it all goes back together though... but if the shell lifter isnt on track because of the bolt slide maybe? I dunno, just brain storming here. Have you regreased the hard to get to stuff in the receiver? Will it do it if you cycle the action slowly so you can see just whats happenin?

Gonna try what you have suggested and get back to you...I appreciate your insight...Happy New Year my friend!

Thank you and Happy New Year to you and yours too!!! I hope youre able to find something in the receiver to explain whats goin on, let me know how it goes!

Rossignol said:
Thank you and Happy New Year to you and yours too!!! I hope youre able to find something in the receiver to explain whats goin on, let me know how it goes!
My 535 makes a real loud noise when i put a shell in it! It goes BOOM BOOM BOOM...every time... Also it's it bad that i can cycle the pump while holding the gun with only one hand? :cool:

Back