• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 A-1 unloading problems

I recently purchased a new in box 590 A-1 from the Cabela's store in Reno, NV. I'm retired law enforcement and have carried and used shotguns for well over 30 years, but this is my first Mossberg. With the action closed and the mag tube loaded, when I press the shell stop the shell base backs out of the tube maybe a 16th of an inch or so and then hangs up on the elevator tip. I read in another forum that this problem is not new with Mossbergs. One suggestion was to open the action just a tiny bit about a 1/4 inch or less and then press the stop lever and when the shell base stopped against the elevator to lift up on the shell base and the shell would pop right out. This worked just fine, but I don't think it should be necessary. I must add that the trigger guard is facing down during all of this for easier access to the shell stop and shell elevator. Some have even suggested that I rack the slide to empty out the mag tube. This is unsafe in my opinion and not the proper way to unload the Mossberg pump action

I've sent email messages to Mossberg customer service addressing this problem but have not received any response. I have heard that the customer service can be slow. Apparently I am not the only Mossberg owner to have had this problem and I would greatly appreciate any help with this. I am very excited about this new Mossberg of mine and am anxious to get out and run some ammo through it. I did a lot of research prior to buying the Mossy and they had very high recommendations so I chose The Mossy over the 870 and others. As of now, the only problem is the unloading.

Thanks in advance for any help any of you can offer.

Nevadajim775
Fallon, Nevada
jaj1040@charter.net

nevadajim775 said:
I recently purchased a new in box 590 A-1 from the Cabela's store in Reno, NV. I'm retired law enforcement and have carried and used shotguns for well over 30 years, but this is my first Mossberg. With the action closed and the mag tube loaded, when I press the shell stop the shell base backs out of the tube maybe a 16th of an inch or so and then hangs up on the elevator tip. I read in another forum that this problem is not new with Mossbergs. One suggestion was to open the action just a tiny bit about a 1/4 inch or less and then press the stop lever and when the shell base stopped against the elevator to lift up on the shell base and the shell would pop right out. This worked just fine, but I don't think it should be necessary. I must add that the trigger guard is facing down during all of this for easier access to the shell stop and shell elevator. Some have even suggested that I rack the slide to empty out the mag tube. This is unsafe in my opinion and not the proper way to unload the Mossberg pump action

I've sent email messages to Mossberg customer service addressing this problem but have not received any response. I have heard that the customer service can be slow. Apparently I am not the only Mossberg owner to have had this problem and I would greatly appreciate any help with this. I am very excited about this new Mossberg of mine and am anxious to get out and run some ammo through it. I did a lot of research prior to buying the Mossy and they had very high recommendations so I chose The Mossy over the 870 and others. As of now, the only problem is the unloading.

Thanks in advance for any help any of you can offer.

Nevadajim775
Fallon, Nevada
jaj1040@charter.net

Welcome to the forum from NY and thank you for you LEO service.

The proper way to unload the gun is with the safety on depress the action lever and rack the gun.
Look in the owners manual under "unloading".

I have done just that several times and watched several videos on u-tube regarding unloading the 590. The shell base hangs up the the elevator hump.

Jim have you disassembled and cleaned the gun? (sometimes lots of factory gunk)

The elevator tongue should be up against the bottom of the bolt slide with forearm foward.

Is it possible to take a pic of the bottom of the receiver?

old mossy said:
Jim have you disassembled and cleaned the gun? (sometimes lots of factory gunk)

The elevator tongue should be up against the bottom of the bolt slide with forearm foward.

Is it possible to take a pic of the bottom of the receiver?

Yes I have disassembled, cleaned, oiled and reassembled the firearm. To be doubly sure, I broke it down a second time, checked everything out and reassembled it again. I'll do one of two things. Either take a couple photos and forward them or forward some really good photo's I found on a Google forum of a 590 with identical problems to mine. The owners manual does not say to rack the shells out of the mag tube. Pressing the shell stop should release the shell(s) to pop out without any obstructions. I can't tell you how many times I've unloaded a 870 Remington or a 1100. Tomorrow I'll send the photo's.

Thanks,

Jim

Page 6 in the manual on unloading. It's a PDF file and I can't post it here.

Regardless it should unload either way.
Looking forward to the pics.

The reason I asked you about the elevator tongue against the bolt slide was I was wondering if you have an out of spec (bent elevator).

We have a contact at Mossberg who should be able to help you.

Joe Zakher
jzakher@maverickarms.com

Keep us posted.

nevadajim775 said:
And who might that contact person be and how do I reach him/her? Were the images adequate to show the situation?

Jim

The contact person is,
Joe Zakher
jzakher@maverickarms.com

The pic showed the shell hitting the elevator "hump".
As I mentioned I was trying to see if the elevator tongue was up against the bolt slide.(It might be bent)

Thanks for the contact person and address. I will be dropping him a line Monday maybe. My wife is going in for some kidney surgery Monday early afternoon, so I may be postponed a bit on any emailing. She's has seniority and priority.

Hi Jim, please let us know how your wife is when you get back here.

It sounds like you are not the only one have trouble unloading your Mossberg. As you have discovered this is not as easy as the 870s you had in LE work. This is one (only?) area where 870s shine.

However with practice you will find you can easily and safely unload your Mossberg, too. The instructions I give are with the loading port oriented up (the gun is upside down) but you can do this right-side-up and may find it easier.

Depress shell release and 'pull' up on the base of the shell. It really is as simple as "Up and Out"! Again, with you RH thumb, depress shell release (at this point shell will be stuck on bottom of elevator, as you have seen) and slide the pad of thumb against back of shell. Pulling up will quickly release the shell.

If you do this procedure with the shotgun right side up, it will be even easier, since gravity will pull the shell down (away) from the elevator.

If you still can't eject a shell using the action lever,something is wrong.
No reason a NEW gun should hang up the shell on the elevator.

Ejecting the shell(s) with the action lever works just fine and always has. It's trying to eject shells by depressing the shell stop that doesn't work correctly. They hang up against the elevator as shown in the images I uploaded. And yes, I am not the only Mossberg owner who has reported this problem.

Blacksmith, I will try your method when I have a little extra time and will report my results for all to see.

For those who have asked, my wife went through surgery just fine with no problems, but is experiencing considerable pain from the incision sites. For the first time since we were married 36 years ago, she actually took a pain pill. Hopefully she will be returning home Thursday. Thank you all for your best wishes and concerns.

Jim

Good evening all and specifically Blacksmith. First of all I brought my lovely wife home today. She had a kidney removed on Monday and by looking at her you'd never think she just under went such surgery. I'm very gratefull and want to thank all of you for your support.

Blacksmith, I tried your suggested method of unloading the tube twice, but I cannot budge the shell base after depressing the shell stop unless I move the action to the rear just a small amount (maybe a 16th of an inch. Then I can unload each and every round just like butter. I'm waiting for a reply from the Mossberg representative Joe Zakher as to any solution he can offer. I am not the only one with this situation and I'm sure other 590 A-1 owners having the same problem are highly interested also. I paid damn good money for this 590 A-1 (over $600.00) and I really do not want to have to package it up and send it to somebody. I haven't even fired it yet. I will let you all know when and what I hear back from Zakher as soon as I hear back from him. For those of you who may be interested, my 590 came with the Speedfeed stock installed. I read in some other forums that there had been problems with the springs behind the inserted shells pushing the recoil pad off the stock. I contacted the manufacture of Speedfeed and was told that the stock was not the problem. The original recoil pad was the problem child and that it had been taken care of sometime back. The Speedfeed stock is guaranteed and all an owner has to do is contact the company for replacement. Extended shell storage in the Speedfeed stock should not be a problem I was told.

Thank you very much. She wanted to know how a bunch of shot gunners learned about her and I just said that word gets around among friends.

If I don't hear from Joe Zakher today I'll be sending him another email. It's not like I'm the only Mossberg owner with this problem. Mossberg must stand up and take responsibility for their products.

Just want to let you all know that I just received an email from Joe Zekher with Mossberg. He advised that he will be sending me a new elevator for my 590 A-1 and asked that I try it out. I have my doubts about this working, but I greatly appreciate his help and assistance, so I'm going to give it a try. I'll let you all know what the results are as soon as I receive it and get it installed.

Stay warm and dry out there,

Jim in the high desert of western Nevada

Back