• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 A-1 unloading problems

I just received a Fed-Ex tracking number from Joe Zekher so I assume the elevator has been shipped. I'll keep you all posted.

Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New Year to all.

Best of luck, good to hear your better half is....better and Make it a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year somewhere special!!

Thank you very Much Scott and a special Merry Christmas and a Happy New year to you and yours. WE can just hope that 2014 will be an improvement over 2013.

Jim

I just want to let you all know that yesterday I received a new elevator for my 590 A-1 from Mossberg via Maverick Arms in Eagle Pass Texas. Just a short time ago I pulled out the original and compared it as close as I could with the new arrival, but could see no difference with my aging eyes. A couple minutes later I had it installed and gave it the acid test so to speak. I found that shells from the mag tube (full) ejected just a tiny bit easier by lifting up on the shell base with my finger as I depressed the shell stop. I repeated this several times and function tested the action minus firing the gun and it seems to be in order as far as I can tell. My plans are to leave it as is for the time being anyway until I can get out on the range and break this puppy in. I'm thinking that putting a few boxes of lead down range may just loosen things up a bit and bring the 590 up to standards. I feel much better about the way it ejects now. I'll let you all know how this works out later on. For those of you who asked previously, my wife is doing really well and the biopsy results came back negative for cancer. It was a benign growth that would have caused problems in the future, but now it's gone and is history. I thank you all very much for your concerns and wish all of you a very Happy and Prosperous New Year.

Jim

First out I'm glad to hear the wife is doing fine. :D

Also glad to hear the new elevator is working. :D

Like you said,,,,run a box or two of shells through it and she will break in.

Keep us posted.

Both of mine are the same way.....if I move the forend back just alittle it will work then. Im gonna call mossberg

Another way to unload the magazine safely is to...

* Place the weapon on safe.

* Press the action release and bring the fore end fully to the rear. The shell lifter will now be in the down position. A shell will be released from the magazine onto the shell lifter.

* Tilt the weapon to the side (ejection port down) and the shell will roll out of the open ejection port.

*Move the fore end forward and the bolt will close on an empty chamber.

* Repeat until the magazine is empty.

The bolt face never comes in contact with the back of the shell, and no live rounds are ever chambered, so it's a safe procedure.

* Press the action release and bring the fore end fully to the rear. The shell lifter will now be in the down position. A shell will be released from the magazine onto the shell lifter.

* Tilt the weapon to the side (ejection port down) and the shell will roll out of the open ejection port.

The bolt face never comes in contact with the back of the shell, and no live rounds are ever chambered, so it's a safe procedure.

First off I need to apologize for not getting back to you much sooner. I guess I had several senior moments. I am going to try out your m recommended method and I'll be sure and reply this time. I finally got off my old butt and made it out to the range a couple weeks ago. I can tell you first hand that I had forgotten how much these 12 gauge pump actions kick with full load 00 buck and slugs. Recently I was watching a video in which the instructor/shooter talked about and demonstrated what he referred to as a push-pull grip on the shotgun that greatly reduced the felt recoil. He was pushing forward on the fore stock and pulling on the rear stack and i9n doing so mitigated the recoil to his shoulder. I've got to get out and give that a try. Since then I have seen other videos in which the shooters did the same thing. Have you ever heard of this method or used it?

Have a good day and weekend.

Jim in Fallon, Nevada

,,,,and I thought I was the only one here with senior moments.;)

Try the "push pull" grip,,,,,also I would recommend trying a LimbSaver recoil pad. They work.

Here's a link to some good info,,,,

http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/500-recoil.11265/#post-147443

Thanks much. I've watched this video numerous times previously and am anxious to get out and give it a try. When I was riding with an 870 many years ago there was little if any advice about handling felt recoil. If the need arises "just rack one in and do what you got to do'. Maybe that's why I stuck with the wheel guns back then. I knew very well how they worked and how to handle and use them.

Thanks again,

Jim

We learned this technique at FT Knox back in the day with the M3 grease gun. They were also still teaching the "assault position" (point shooting from the hip) back in those days.

Back