• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Mag Tubes: Extensions and Springs

Re: 590A1 18.5 mag extension.

Tony617! said:
I took my 590A1 to the gun range today as I wanted fire it with my new S&J magazine extension. I pulled my 590A1 out of HD duty until I had a chance to take it to the range. I fired 70 rounds with a mix of #4 buckshot and 00 buckshot. No problems so I'm using the 590A1 for HD again.
good to hear!

Ok call me dumb or whatever. I ordered a wolff spring friday and to my amazement it was delivered today. I only ordered quantity 1 spring for 8.99...pack of 1 spring.

I swear there are 3 springs in this pack or is one spring supposed to look like this??

6A857548-A294-4101-9CC2-AEA9582AEBB0-56775-000019E3A32EE121_zps890430d8.jpg

1FE9F54F-5AE2-45B8-80F4-16D3BD2C652C-56775-000019E98EAC2B75_zpsa3dd21c1.jpg

Re: Mossberg 590 Pump Action Mag Tubes: Extensions and Sprin

Not to be captain obvious but.... Open it and find out dude..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

jimmycrackcorn said:
Not to be captain obvious but.... Open it and find out dude..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Hahaha....I guess my edit to that post didnt save. I did open it and I was able to separate them.

Im new to shotguns. I only shot one years ago maybe 10 times on a short shooting trip. So I am totally unaware of what the spring looks like in that tube. I had myself second guessing the person who stapled that freakin tag on the bag. I was like no way...really...this spring goes in that tube. The tag says 1 spring...ok really.

I dont even have my shotgun yet. I pick it up tomorrow morning if everything goes as planned.

Ok call me dumb or whatever. I ordered a wolff spring friday and to my amazement it was delivered today. I only ordered quantity 1 spring for 8.99...pack of 1 spring.

I swear there are 3 springs in this pack or is one spring supposed to look like this??

6A857548-A294-4101-9CC2-AEA9582AEBB0-56775-000019E3A32EE121_zps890430d8.jpg

1FE9F54F-5AE2-45B8-80F4-16D3BD2C652C-56775-000019E98EAC2B75_zpsa3dd21c1.jpg
So did the spring end up working out pretry good for u??

Hello all. I recently purchased a NIB 590A1 18" with GRS and standard speedfeed stock and I love it. I just ordered a GG&G front sling plate (for HK hooks).

As to the front plate, I plan on buying a S&J +2 mag extension. Will the GG&G front plate interfere with it? The sling plate the S&J comes with will be removed. That leads me to another question. How do you remove the S&J plate or does it come seporate?

There are some great 590s on here and lots of great info. Many thanks. :)

Welcome aboard!

The S&J parts come loose in a bag. I didn't use mine but don't recall removing it either. The S&J extension is a top quality part that looks like it came from Mossberg that way. Don't forget to post some pics!

Re: 590A1 18.5 mag extension.

I would wait. The S&J extension is all steel construction while the choate has a plastic end cap that bothered the crap out of me. It is the only thing holding everything in. S&J machine work is top notch, this is coming from a fellow machinist. also with the S&J the sling mount built in while the choate uses a stamped clamp mount that comes loose under recoil. Choate makes a decent extension for the money but S&J hardware is superior. They offer a discount for website members I believe it's 5%.

So I waited for S&J hardware to get them back in stock an you are right it was worth it. I just got it in today and got it installed I now have my holy grail of shotguns thanks for all the help!

I just recd my S&J +2 ext for my 18.5 590A1. It came with a new spring too, but no lime green follower. After installing, I couldn't fit 7 shells. Shortened the spring and still can not get the 7th shell to fit. Completely removed the spring an still can't fit all 7. I must be missing something..? Any thoughts? Using 2.75 inch shells and I did remove the factory plastic stopper. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum from NY. Sorry to hear you're having a problem.
What brand shells you using? Some are longer than others. Just a thought.

Thanks! Been lurking for months, and figured nows the time to get some advice. I have a few brands at home so I will compare them tonight, and try again with the shortest shells.

I just recd my S&J +2 ext for my 18.5 590A1. It came with a new spring too, but no lime green follower. After installing, I couldn't fit 7 shells. Shortened the spring and still can not get the 7th shell to fit. Completely removed the spring an still can't fit all 7. I must be missing something..? Any thoughts? Using 2.75 inch shells and I did remove the factory plastic stopper. Thanks!

Must be due to length. I can get almost 8 Hornady critical defense 2 3/4 inch shells in mine however if I try the Winchester super x 2 3/4 inch slugs I can only fit 6 shells in because those suckers are long.

If I am not mistaken the 2 3/4 inch is the measurement of the casing after its been fired or before it has been loaded which is why we see such a difference in shell length.

ETA: the reason you did not receive the green follower is because they are out of those at the moment which is why the extension is on sale. That is what i was told in the e-mail I received when I asked about that.

Yep, it was the length of the Winchester slugs that I was loading at first. Switched to some shorter shells and fit 7 no problem. Now if only I wouldn't have cut the spring! Still seems to load all the shells properly, but I can hear a slight spring rattle when the mag tube is empty. That's a cheap fix though.

EBK: did you shorten your spring? And by approx how long?

Thank you both for your input!

Back